Status: Complete

Alive Till Kingdom Come.

The gift from the sky & the boy from the mines.

I mess up Rosemary’s hair a little, she looks up and I point to the parachute that falls delicately in her lap.
“See! The capitol people love you. Of course you’re going to win!”
“I, um.”
“Go on, open you’re gift!” she gives me a watery smile and grins at the small gift. I take the cooked rabbits and bird off of the fire and delicately wrap them in leaves from the tree we slept in last night and put them in my backpack. “Oh my gosh!” Rosemary chirps.
I look down at the gift to see at least a dozen pieces of bread. Light and crescent shaped.
“You got a little piece of home.” I mumble. I can tell she doesn’t believe me about her winning but she smiles anyways. She picks up one of the rolls and hands it to me.
“thanks” I smile while taking the roll from her and biting into it. It’s still warm.
CRUNCH! She goes completely still and I look around.
“What is it? A tribute?” she asks
“Sh.” I say softly.
I get up, and quietly take the swords from my backpack. I look around the perimeter and notice movement from the right. I walk over as quietly as I can, stalking my prey. I look back at Rosemary who was scared stiff. I put my index finger to my lips and she nods. I turn my attention towards the boulder in front of me. I can hear fast breathing. I grip my swords tighter, I swiftly move around the boulder about to swing when I notice it’s the boy from district twelve. The one that reminds me of Willow. He must be 13 maybe 14 at the most.
“What’s you’re name?” I ask
“R-roy.” His arm is bleeding. A canon goes off and Roy jumps.
“Allies?” I ask. He nods.
I walk back towards Rosemary and the fire. Like a baby duck he follows me, holding onto his arm.
“What happened to you’re arm?” I ask while sitting back down and setting the swords by my side. I grab for his arm, he flinches back.
“I’m just going to look at it.” I say smoothly, holding my hands up. He slowly gives me his arm.
“the boy from 10 attacked me.” His eyes start to water.
“How did you get away?” Rosemary asks.
I look at his arm, a deep gash going down the side. The skin around it was starting to turn purple. All I can do is clean it and wrap it up at best.
“I hit him over the head with a rock.” The tears in his eyes began to stream. That must mean the one who died just now was the boy from district 10...
♠ ♠ ♠
xo, Jessie