Triplets

Louise

A dance was organised in May for both our school and the boarding school down the road. The only difference between the two schools was that one was for girls and the other was for boys, and the reason the dance allowed the schools to mix was because it was a tradition from many years ago. I think it's a kind of "the school year's almost over – who cares?" type of thing, but I don't really have an opinion over it because it doesn't appeal to me but I don't dislike the idea immensely either.

It was a Thursday night that they decided that the dance was to be held. The night was decided because the dance was chaperoned and wasn't going on later than nine pm so the boys could start heading back to their school at no later than half nine while us girls could start going to our dorms under the pretence that we'd be going to bed. That wasn't going to be likely, but what the teachers thought and what actually happened doesn't have to be the same.

My dress was just a plain red one, slightly loose around my torso with its sleeves cut off at my elbows. My shoes were just plain flats because there was a rule that there was no heeled shoes allowed at the dance, and when I arrived at six pm, I saw that it was being enforced because the girl in front of me got sent back to her dorm for arriving in shoes that couldn't have been more than two inches high. I was with Rachel because apparently we were lame enough to have to stick by each other because we had no other friends. That was one of the reasons why I didn't see a reason to come to this dance, but she wanted to go so I figured I could deal with it for at least an hour, and if it was as boring as I'd thought it would be, then I could just head back to my dorm and do something else instead. Sleep, maybe, considering I hadn't been getting enough of it as it was.

The dance was being held in the sports hall of the school as it was large enough to hold the students of both schools in while also having enough space for tables, chairs and a dance area. Because it was in the sports hall, the girls' changing room was connected to it as well and remained unlocked so that the toilets located in there could be used. For the night they had decided to allocate the boys to the toilets just outside the sports hall, barring any girl from using them. I'm pretty sure they'd be guarding them all the time because the idea in this school was that if you were alone with a boy, the likelihood was that you'd get pregnant. That if you were alone with a boy, the only thing on his mind would be having sex with you, and if you didn't want it he'd just take advantage of you because you're defenceless.

My father picked a real nice school for me. It even teaches me that he's not to be trusted and that all he is is a liar because he's male. I guess that's one thing I like about the school.

I sat at one of the tables in the hall while Rachel went off to get herself a drink. As I sat alone, I surveyed the room quickly to see where the group of girls were. To my surprise, they were nowhere to be seen so I relaxed significantly and tried to get into the music. The constant beat it had made that easy to do but any words that may have been a part of the song were lost. Rachel came back with her drink and we remained in our seats for just over an hour, our chatter only remaining for a while before it dropped altogether and we just sat there without talking.

"I'm going to head back," I said after five more minutes of silence, standing up and looking at Rachel.

"Okay. I'll try not to wake you up," she replied.

"You're so funny," I deadpanned before leaving the sports hall and starting the walk back to the dorms. I got back to the room not even five minutes after I'd left the dance. A part of me was hoping that there'd be a missed call on my phone from my father. I knew that there wouldn't be because he never phones me, but every night when I come back to my dorm after doing some studying or work in the library, I always hope that my phone will have a missed call from him, or even an incoming call from him as I'm coming back. But like every other night, I'm sorely disappointed by my empty screen.

With a sigh, I tossed my phone onto my bed and flung myself down next to it, covering my face with my hands and squeezing my eyes shut. Sometimes I really did hope that my mother had cheated on him and conceived me with the other guy, making it so that he wasn't my father and that all these feelings I had towards our rift were silly and unnecessary. I hated feeling like this towards someone, all this regret and hatred and sorrow. I can't even truly remember when this all started, but I know this probably won't end anytime soon. I'm not ready to forgive him for treating me like I'm not even his own daughter and for not believing me. Maybe I could have dealt with the treatment, but the fact that when I came to him over something that you should be able to go to your parents about, he just told me to stop making lies and turned me away, warning me not to say anything about it again, to him or to anyone.

It was sickening but to spite him I keep bringing it up to show him that I no longer listen to him. He may be my father by birth, but I never refer to him as my dad because that's an endearing term and he doesn't deserve that.

I was already asleep by the time Rachel got back to the dorm. When I found that out in the morning, I was glad so that she didn't have to see that I had been crying.