Bread and Water

the sun rose in your eyes

“Miss Holbrook?”

Lily turned around to face the prince, who was hurrying after her. She blushed a brilliant red.

“Prince Harrison, you didn’t have to follow me. I could have taken care of myself,” she said politely.

He looked at her with concern. “It wouldn’t have been polite to leave you to fend for yourself, Miss Holbrook.” He glanced at her dress. The damp part of it was a richer burgundy than the rest. “Would you like me to call a servant to assist you?”

“That’s really not necessary…” she began, but he was already snapping his fingers at a passing boy. He rushed up to him and bowed. The boy looked about her age, give or take a year. He was dressed in those scruffy peasant outfits her father always complained about. His hair was jet black and shaggy, but it looked good on him.

His eyes were the most stunning blue she had ever seen.

Harrison smiled at her. “He’ll help you get the stains out, don’t worry.” He took her hand in his and bent down to kiss it. She blushed furiously. “I hope I see you again, Miss Holbrook.”

He smiled at her once more before turning and heading back into the ballroom.

Lily turned back to the boy, who studiously avoided her gaze.

“This way, Miss Holbrook,” he said, leading her down a hallway to their left. His voice was soothing and hypnotic. It reminded her of the music the orchestra had been playing.

She hurried to catch up to him. “You can call me Lily.” She paused. “What’s your name?”

He squirmed uncomfortably. “Nathaniel.”

“Nathaniel. That’s a nice name.”

He didn’t reply, but from the corner of her eye, she could see a small smile on his face.

They reached a door in the middle of the hallway, and Nathaniel ushered her inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
“The first time ever I saw your face.”
Roberta Flack, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face