Bread and Water

you can jive

“Have you been waiting for me?”

Lily smiled as the prince’s voice met her ears, however cocky it was. She had been waiting for him, but was it really that obvious? If not for his offer, she would have made up an excuse to leave the dance long ago.

“Not in particular,” she said jokingly.

She felt a soft hand touch her arm, and the prince spun her around to face him. His hair was a little messy from all the dancing he had been doing, but it only added to his features. Harrison smiled warmly at her.

“Shall we dance?” he asked.

Lily nodded, letting him lead her to the dance floor. She couldn’t believe this was really happening. She was dancing with the prince. She would have to thank her father for forcing her to come later.

The orchestra started a new song that seemed to be made just for this moment. The soft, soothing sound of the violins rang in her ears as Prince Harrison led her across the ballroom with sure, swift dance moves. His hand was at her waist, pulling her close. She could feel the warmth radiating from his body and mixing with her own.

“Have you been enjoying yourself?” he whispered as he leaned forward to speak into her ear.

“Yes,” she whispered back. She didn’t want to talk. She just wanted to enjoy the magic of this moment.

Harrison seemed to understand, for he stopped talking. Lily leaned her head against his chest. The music was mystical, hypnotic…

As Harrison twirled her around, her foot found a slick spot on the dance floor, and she fell to the ground. The drink that had been spilled on the floor was now all over the back of her dress. It would be ruined forever, but that was the least of her worries.

She was utterly embarrassed. Harrison was looking down at her, wide-eyed, and to her dismay, so were many of the guests.

So she did the only thing she could think of in a situation like this. She bolted from the ballroom, leaving the prince staring after her.
♠ ♠ ♠
"You are the dancing queen. Young and sweet, only seventeen."
ABBA, Dancing Queen