Status: A story in progress, I hope you enjoy

Breaking Free

Chapter 14

First thing when Jackson and I walk through the door, Debra wraps her arms around me in a tight hug.
I wasn't expecting the hug at all and it surprises and brings tears to my eyes.
"I'm so glad you're here!" Debra exclaims.
"So am I," I answer honestly without hesitation.
"We've got a big evening planned for you since you're now in our home until you decide to leave," Debra begins to explain, "first, we're going shopping, then, the big dinner we told you about this morning. Let's go!"
I head right back out of the door behind Debra, with no time to drop my backpack off in the bedroom, so I leave it laying beside the front door. I'm sure if it's in the way, someone will move it for me.
Once in the car, Debra claps her hands together once and then starts the car, "I'm so excited!"
"I am too," I say. "I've never been shopping before."
"Are you serious?" Debra looks at me confused.
"Yes," I say quietly.
"Well, here's to the start of something new!" she exclaims.
We arrive at the mall and I'm struck instantly at how big it is. So many stores all in one area is enough to make me feel overwhelmed.
"Let's go in here," Debra points out a store called American Eagle.
"Uh, okay," I reply not really knowing what else to say because I have a feeling if I refused, she would make me go anyway. I laugh amused to myself and put one foot in front of the other and walk into the store behind Debra.
"What size are you, dear?" she asks.
"I'm not sure," I say. All of the clothes that I've always worn have been oversized on me and I can't really give her a real answer.
"We'll just have to find out!"
Debra leads me across the store and we're standing in a section of jeans. There are several different varieties. Low rise, boot cut, skinny, you name it, it's there. I never realized how many different names for jeans there were. I thought they were just called jeans.
I pick out a pair that are marked 'flare' because I like the way they look like they won't be tight around my ankles.
Debra hands me several of the same pair of jeans in different sizes so I can try them all on and see which ones fit me right.
I start with the smallest size first and work my way up. By the time I hit size seven, I know I've found my size. The others were too tight on me and I love the way the seven's fit me. They're tighter in the hips and legs but not so tight that I can't move around.
I'm pleased with my choice in jeans and find myself wanting more just like them.
I pick out about four pairs and find a pair of sweat pants that I like also. They're cropped and banded at the knees and look extremely comfortable.
For shirts, I get a few tank tops since it's still warm out and a few button up shirts to wear over the tanks. I also grab a few tee shirts to go with my jeans also.
"Thank you so much," I say to Debra.
"It's my pleasure. I haven't had a girls day in a really long time, not since my sister," she says trailing off. I know that she means Donna from the look on her face and from what Jackson has told me.
After we leave American Eagle, Debra treats me to frozen yogurt in the shop inside of the mall. While we're eating our sweets, we wander from store to store looking for other things.
"Oh my gosh, that is so cute!" I exclaim when I see a tee shirt with an old school Nintendo controller on the front. "I used to have one of these!"
"Do you want it?" Debra asks.
"Yes, please!" I say happily. This is the most excited I've been all day. I can remember back when I was a child sitting in the floor with my legs crossed in front of the TV playing the old Mario games with my mom. It brings back so many memories and the sharp sting of tears in my eyes shocks me.
"Are you okay?" Debra asks.
"Just remembering some things," I answer shaking my head from side to side trying to clear the thoughts from my head.
"Okay, if you want to go home, just let me know," she says with a sympathetic smile on her face.
"I think after we buy the shirt, I'd like to go," I say. "I'm getting pretty tired."
I really am tired, I had no idea that shopping could take so much out of a person. All of the walking around and trying things on can really get to you.
"Okay, well, let's go in and buy it!" Debra says happily, clapping her hands together once more.
After purchasing the shirt, we walk back outside where it's heated up outside. The heat is almost unbearable.
I glance up from one of my bags and I find myself looking into my father's eyes.
"I knew I'd find you eventually," he growls. I can smell the alcohol on his breath.
"D-Debra," I stutter and drop my shopping bags on the ground.
Debra looks up from the ground and sees what I'm scared about.
"Go away," she says calmly.
"This is my daughter and I'm going to take her home with me where she belongs," my dad says, grabbing a hold of my arm and forcefully pulling me toward his truck.
"Leave her alone," Debra warns, her hand on something in her purse and I'm pretty sure it's not her car keys. "Shut your eyes, Lina."
I force my eyes shut and hear a hissing sound as something splashes onto my father and onto me.
"Arrrrrrrrgh!" my father cries out and lets go of my arm. I instinctively rub my hand against my arm and can see my father rubbing his eyes, trying to get a liquid out of them.
"Pepper spay," Debra says, bending down to grab my fallen bags off of the ground.
"I'm not through with you yet, you little bitch!" my father warns.