Status: On a break...

Coffee Shop Soundtrack

PART 3

Hannah finished her shift on Sunday afternoon, before going home to freshen up. Jack was picking her up at three.

She showered and sifted through her closet for something to wear. She sighed as she pulled out clothes, tried them on and threw them on the floor. Nothing looked right. She wanted to look casual, but not too casual as she wasn't sure what Jack had planned. As she threw another top on the growing pile on the floor, her roommate Ashley walked in.

"Everything okay?" she asked, eyeing the rejected garments on the floor.

"I have nothing to wear" Hannah groaned, burying her face in her hands.

"Come with me" Ashley said, pulling her down the hall to her room.

Hannah eyed her closet with envy. Ashley definitely had a better grasp on fashion, she thought. Her closet was filled with nice dresses and shirts, while Hannah's was filled with skinny jeans, shorts and t-shirts.

Ashley pulled out a pink tank top with black lace detail.

"Here, wear this with your blue denim shorts" she said, throwing the top at her friend.

Hannah did as she was told and stood in front of the mirror. The outfit was perfect, just the right amount of casual that she was aiming for. She finished it off with a pair of white sandals.

"You're a lifesaver" she said, grabbing Ashley and pulling her into a hug.

"Anytime" she smiled.

Hannah released her friend and went to the bathroom to finish getting ready. She applied simple make-up, a dust of powder and a sleek line of black over her eyelids and let her long brown hair hang down.

Just as she finished, she heard her phone beep from her bedroom.

Jack was outside.

She gathered her things and waved goodbye to Ashley as she rushed out the door.

"Have fun girl" her friend called after her.

-

The day was going well so far. Jack took Hannah to a local fair, where they had a turn on all the rides and played the amusements. They then went for ice-cream and walked down to the beach.

It was getting near sunset and the crowds that usually occupied the beach had left, leaving the pair alone.

Hannah was surprised at how much she was enjoying herself. The smile hadn't left her all day. She felt comfortable around Jack, like she could be herself and not worry what he might think.

The pair lay down on the sand and stared out at the ocean. The sun had begun to set.

"I had so much fun today, thanks" Hannah smiled to Jack.

He put his arm around her and pulled her close. Hannah could feel the butterflies in her stomach.

"Me too" he said.

They sat in comfortable silence, looking out at the view and Hannah couldn't have been happier. This was by far the best day of her life.

-

Jack dropped Hannah off at her apartment just after 9pm. He was a perfect gentleman, opening the car door for her and walking her up to her apartment.

They stood outside the door in silence for a moment.

"Thanks again for a great day" Hannah said, reaching in her pocket for her keys.

Jack surprised her by stepping closer, placing his hand on her chin and tilting her head up, pressing a soft kiss on her lips.

The butterflies returned and she smiled into the kiss, feeling Jack smile back.

As he pulled away, she thought about inviting him inside, but decided against it as Ashley was home and would probably interrogate him.

"I'll call you" he smiled, placing a final kiss on her now blushing cheek, before walking down the hallway and out of the building.