We Got Older But We're Still Young

I swore it was the last time

JAIME’S POV

I don’t think I had ever sat on a more uncomfortable bed. There were springs poking out at me from every direction. This was the kind of hotel that you’d want to bring a UV ray before you touched anything.
Delilah didn’t seem to notice though. She was so tired out from today and passed out as soon as her head hit the pillow.

Her breathing was steady which brought me ease. Freddi had gone out over an hour ago to get her some medicine… just in case.

Something felt uneasy inside of me and I wasn’t sure what it was. Just the thought that Freddi was going to be asleep in the same room as me scared me a little. It didn’t make sense though… I had no reason to be scared.

The sound of footsteps down the hall became louder and more recognizable. With a twist of the doorknob, Freddi walked into the room holding up a plastic bag in triumph.

“I went to like 3 different places but I finally got her stuff.” She sighed collapsing onto the end of the bed I was sitting on.
I picked up the bag, looking at each box individually.

“I got you a coffee as well.” She said handing me a cup. “I didn’t know what you like so I got you my favourite, caramel latté.”

I chuckled taking the drink. That was my favourite too.

Freddi glanced over at Delilah letting a soft smile reach her face.
“She looks happy even when she’s sleeping.” She murmured quietly.

“It’d be nice huh?” I asked Freddi as she gave her attention to me. “To be happy even when you know how bad things are.”

She nodded
“Sometimes I think that I shouldn’t be upset when there are people like Delilah who have it so much worse than me yet still seem to smile.”

It was bizarre seeing Freddi so vulnerable like this. She was always such a sarcastic reserved person and I felt as if she was finally starting to let me see the real her.

I took her hand from beside her “Since when is having the worst life a requirement for feeling sad?”

A smile was what I received in return but that smile could have stopped time all together if she let it.

---

“Are you sure?” Freddi whispered to me as I nodded my head.

“Seriously, it’s fine. The floor is probably more comfortable than the bed anyway.” I joked.

It was hard to see anything in the dark but I could feel her eyes on me.
“Thanks Jaime.” She quietly spoke.

“For what? Letting you have the bed?”

“No" She laughed " For today, for all of it. I never really got to thank you before for what you said on the Ferris wheel… but I just want you to know how much I appreciate it.”

The corner of my lip raised slightly as she spoke.
“Really Freddi, It’s fine.”

I lay my head on the pillow that I placed on the floor. It didn’t take long for Freddi to fall asleep. I could hear in the change of her breathing that she had drifted to sleep.

I thought then, while I lay on the floor only inches from Freddi’s bed, how easy it would be just to get up and lay next to her… to have the smell of strawberries from her ginger hair fill my nostrils… to feel her pulse against mine.

The more I thought about it, the more appealing it sounded… but no matter how much I wanted to do it, I couldn’t. Not now anyway… not here.

This trip was about Delilah feeling better and as much as I wouldn’t admit it to Freddi, this trip was also for her…so she could finally feel what it was like to live away from the responsibility that controls her life.

I couldn’t endanger that by getting feelings in the way. Feelings I wasn’t entirely sure even existed anyway.

My thoughts were practically screaming at me, keeping me awake as the two girls slept soundlessly around me.

I lifted my arm from behind my head moving it to my side. A recognisable crinkling noise sounded as my hand connected with some paper. I lit up the screen of my phone facing it toward the paper.

I raised an eyebrow interestedly as I saw a folded piece of paper half sitting in Freddi’s jacket pocket. Curiosity got the best of me as I pulled it out, opening it slightly.
It was her poem… the ones we were supposed to present tomorrow.

Trying not to make any noise, I snuck out of the hotel room into the badly lit corridor. The walls were a sickening mustard colour and the fading fluorescent light flickered every now and again.

I sat down, propping myself up against our hotel door. Freddi refused to show me this… she said she was horrible at poems and didn’t want to embarrass herself. But I didn’t care, I needed to know what she thinks of me.

Slowly I opened the paper while taking in a deep breath.


Jamie Preciado
– By Freddi Saunders

The way in which I saw him
was never really clear.
First glance only told me
he was far off from sincere.

His stupid shrieking laugh
and his sleazy knowing smirk
changed from something I hate
into an enchanting quirk.

Through the lyrics he writes
his thoughts are exposed.
The Jaime I thought I worked out
was now opposed.

The confliction and anguish
swimming deep in his eyes,
brought me to see
he never was a person to despise.

The way in which I see him
is clearer than before.
I never thought Jaime
would be someone I adore.


After allowing my eyes to retrace every word I folded back up the paper. Standing up, I allowed myself back into the hotel room. I placed the paper back where I found it as I sat on the floor cross legged.
My mind recited every word as I sat in the dark staring in the direction of Freddi.

Impulse struck me, causing me to stand. As my eyes adjusted to the dark I could see a figure lying still on the bed, her back facing me. I didn’t have the common sense and resistance that I held before… all that rang through my mind was the word adore. Silently I lay down beside her, lifting and arm around her as she unconsciously cuddled into my chest.

Maybe I did have feelings for Freddi… and maybe that’s why I could feel my heart beating faster than I thought possible

END JAIME’S POV
♠ ♠ ♠
WHERE HAVE I BEEN?! I know I'm so sorry! in 7 days I have my final exam then I am finished school!

Here it is! it took me a lot longer to write than I planned but bleh here you go!

Dont judge me on my horrible poem writing skills! I know it sucks but just pretend.

Comments would be lovely!

Thank you to everyone subscribing and reading!

Special thankyou to Amberd123, colorfultears, PTVTea, Shipwrecked-, Scissorhands_, naturalbornsynner, krisigetlow, TheGirlWh0Lived and kayla1193 for your mazing comments!

The next update wont take as long PROMISE!!

:)