Status: Finished. Working on the sequel.

The Reckless and the Brave.

Twelve

The next day I went to see Summer again after lunch. She was already waiting for me, guitar in hand, playing Remembering Sunday. Once she was done I clapped. “Nice, almost as good as me.” She smiled. Thank. I have a great teacher.

I wanted to take my usual seat across from her, but she stopped me and patted on the space of the couch next to her. A little surprised I took a seat. She didn’t freeze like she normally did when I came to close. Instead she only tensed up a little. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and her body was starting to relax again.

“I can go sit in one of the chair if you want.” I offered, but she shook her head. Alex? Are we friends? “I’d like to think so, but I wasn’t sure how you felt about it?” I want us to be friends. I haven’t been anyone’s friend for so long. But I’m not sure I’d be a very good friend. I smiled at her. “ That’s okay, I don’t mind. So…. friends?” I said and offered her my hand. She shook it, not long, but she didn’t pull back immediately like she had the first time we’d met.

“We’ll take this slow, okay.” I promised her. “I wanna help you with this. I want to prove to you you can trust me, that you don’t have to be afraid of me.” She gave me an odd look. Why? “Because you helped me too. If it wasn’t for you I probably never would have told anyone about Bailey.” She smiled at me and nodded. Thank you Alex.

I slowly inched closer to her, just close enough not to touch her. “If I do anything that makes you uncomfortable let me know and I’ll stop.” Summer hesitated for a second. I’m fine, this is okay. I chuckled. “You know what, by the time we’re done, you’ll be hugging me every second you can.” Summer smiled. We’ll see.

I grinned. “Your turn.” She gave me a confused look. “Come on, scoot over here.” I said. She clenched and unclenched her fist, but did lean a little closer, so our knees were touching. “You okay?” Summer nodded. Can I play guitar now. She send me an almost pleading look. I laughed. “Sure. I was gonna teach you a new song anyways.”

She spend the rest of the time practicing the new song I’d taught her. Our knees and legs we’re pressed against each other the whole time, but Summer didn’t move away from me, not once.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I wanna take her out.” I said. “Excuses me.” Cindy looked up at me, her eyes full of surprise with a hint of curiosity. “Summer, I wanna take her out. She’s locked up in that stuffy room all day. Can’t we go outside for once, like the garden or something?” I was practically begging her.

“Alex, you know we can’t. There are too many people, chances are she’ll have another panic attack. You’ve made so much progress with her Alex, don’t let that go to waste.” Cindy said. “But what if we go at night. There are enough lights in the garden and she can go out for a minute. There won’t be anyone else there. It will be just Summer and me.” I really was about to get on my knees and beg Cindy.

She sighed. “Why are you so determent to do this?” “Because, she’s my friend and she told me how much she wants to leave that damn South Wing. I want to do something nice for her, show her she can really trust me.”

Cindy shook her head. “You really are something Mr. Gaskarth. Let me talk to Samantha about this first and I’ll come back to you on this.” I nodded eagerly. “Alright.” I smiled, I knew for a fact Dr. Sam would agree with me on this. Afterall, she was the one who told me to do everything I could to become Summer’s friend. She’d let me take Summer outside, I was sure of it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

“Absolutely not!” My jaw dropped to the floor. “What! Why not?” I asked, completely flabbergasted. “I’m sorry Alex, but I cannot allow this.” Dr. Sam said firmly. “I know how much Summer would like to go outside, but she can’t. During the day there are too many people and I don’t want her to panic.” “But what about we go at night? After everybody has gone to bed?” I tried again, but Dr. Sam shook her head. “I’m very sorry Alex, but I don’t think letting Sumer go outside after dark is a good idea. She’s even more terrified of the night than she is of people.” “But…” “No Alex. I’m sorry, but I’m not discussing this. Summer is just going to stay in her room, understood?” “Sure.” I muttered, feeling utterly defeated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was time for dinner again. Ever since Mandy had left I sat alone at one of the table near the windows overlooking the garden. My food was getting cold, but I wasn’t very hungry. I was trying to figure out a way to sneak Summer out of her room and into the garden. Suddenly I remembered a conversation I’d had with Mandy once.

”So has anyone ever tried to escape or something?”I asked. Mandy shook her head. “No not that I know of. Besides, where would they go? There are only two places you can really go to. Whatever you do you’ll either and up at the front entrance, which means you have to get past the nurses office, or you’ll end up I the garden. I suppose you could get out of the building there, since those doors are never locked, but you won’t be able to get out of the garden seeing it is surrounded by walls.
Of course! That’s it. I could easily sneak her out to the garden, I just needed to get into the South Wing and get Summer out of her room. I suppose that wouldn’t be too difficult seeing she has a key. I had to be careful though, if we got caught we’d get more than just a warning this time. Maybe they wouldn't let me see Summer anymore too. No, I shouldn’t be thinking like that. Summer had snuck out more than once, we’d be fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at the alarm clock on the desk. Almost 11 p.m., the patients we’re all in their rooms and the night nurses we’re probably drinking coffee in the nurses office by now. I slowly got up, put on a hoodie and opened the door. I peaked outside, thankfully the coast was clear. I took a deep breath and stepped outside. Here we go.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is very short and mostly a filler. I'll update again tomorrow <3

Love, Felicia.