Status: Finished. Working on the sequel.

The Reckless and the Brave.

Thirteen

The hallways we’re dimly lit, it was dark, but I could still see where I was going. For the first time the building really looked like a place where you’d lock up all the nut jobs. It looked almost….. haunted and couldn’t help but shiver.

Thankfully the back hallway to the South Wing was better lit. I peaked around the corner, but the hallway was deserted. I run as quickly, but as quietly as I could. Fortunately for me I didn’t have any trouble reaching Summer’s room. I knocked softly on the door. “Summer? Open up, it’s me, Alex.” I said, hoping I didn’t scare her too much.

I heard some noises coming from the other side of the door, but finally the door opened. Summer was standing in the doorframe, where a soft pink nightgown. Her eyes widened in surprise, she motioned at me to come inside. I did and she shut the door behind me. She scowled at me and handed me a note. What the HELL are you doing here!? Have you lost your mind?

I ignored her words and grinned. “Get dressed. You’re coming with me.” She stared at me, probably wondering if I’d completely gone insane. “Please?” I pouted. Summer threw her hand up as if to say fine and picked up a few clothes from a chair. She disappeared into the bathroom for a minute.

When she got out she was wearing a pair of jeans and a sweater. She pulled on a pair of boots and tugged her notebook under her arm. “Come on.” I whispered and opened the door. We silently crept through the long hall way that lead to ‘my’ part of the building.

Once we were in front of the cafeteria Summer tapped my shoulder. I turned around and she handed me a note. Alex, where are we going? “You’ll see.” I whispered and I crossed the room with Summer following close behind me. I opened the door to the garden and stepped outside. The cool air hit my face and I smile. We did it!

I turned to look at Summer who was still inside, she was looking over my shoulder into the garden with an terrified expression on her face. “Come on.” I said, but she shook her head. I can’t. “But you always tell me you wanted to go outside.” I said. I know and I do, but… I’m afraid of the night.

“There are more than enough lights out here.” I said and offered her my hand. “Come on, take my hand. I’ll promise you I won’t let anything happen to you.” I could sense her hesitation. I looked into her eyes. “Trust me.” I said. She nodded and took my hand. I’d expected her to just hold it lightly, seeing she wasn’t use to my touch, but she was clinging to my arm for dear life. Her fear of the dark making her forget her fear for me. “Relax.” I whispered and started walking.

We wandered around the garden, neither one of us saying something. Summer was slowly becoming more and more relaxed. It was as if with every step she took she left a small piece of that fear behind her. We kept walking like this, until she no longer was cling to me, but simply holding my hand. I intertwined our fingers and she didn’t object.

It felt nice, being with her like this. I glanced at her from the corner of my eyes and something that felt like butterflies assaulted my stomach. My grip on her hand loosened. What was wrong with me? Bailey’s accident hadn’t even been 6 months ago and here I was, falling for someone else already. No, I couldn’t, whatever this was that I was feeling, it had to stop. I couldn’t betray Bailey like this. But wouldn’t she want you to move on and be happy. A voice in the back of my head asked. Yeah of course, she would, but not so soon!

Suddenly a piece of paper was pushed into my hand. I looked up to see Summer looking at me with a concerned look on her face. I hadn’t even realized I’d let go of her hand. Are you okay? “Yeah, yeah, I’m fine. But I think we should get back to our rooms, before we get caught.” Summer nodded, not convinced, but not pressing for an explanation for my strange behavior either.

We walked back to the door, but I didn’t hold her hand this time. Instead I stuffed them in my pockets and averted my gaze to the ground. Had I looked up however I would have seen the sad and hurt look on Summer’s face.

Once we were inside. She stood a little away from me. Thank you for taking me outside. I really appreciate it. It’s been so long. Her lips we’re smiling at me, but it didn’t reach her eyes. I nodded, smiling back. “You’re welcome. I figured it would be good for you to get out of that room for once.”

Are you sure you’re okay? You were acting a little weird outside. “Yeah, I’m fine. Sorry about that. It was nothing.” I said, but she was still not convinced. “You want me to bring you back.” Summer shook her head. I’ll be fine, I’ve done this before. She waved at me and started walking away. Just before she turned a saw something I her eyes that looked like tears. Was she crying?

I wanted to go after her, but I heard voices coming from the hall way. I knew Summer would be fine, but if I went after her right now I’d get caught. Guess I had to wait until tomorrow. I quickly made my way back to my room.

I laid down on the bed, but I couldn’t sleep. I thought about Summer and the way she made me feel. The more I thought about it the more confused I got about my feelings. Did I really like her? Or was I simply filling in the whole Bailey had left after she’d died. Was I making these feelings up?

I spend the rest of the night tossing and turning in bed, until I finally fell asleep somewhere around sunset.
--------------------------------------------------------------

The next day the first thing I did was go see Summer. She seemed so upset last night, I needed to make sure she was okay. She opened the door I could see her eyes were a little puffy and red, like she’d been crying. “Summer, what’s wrong? Are you okay?” I asked, a panicky edge to my voice. Had I been wrong to take her outside last night? Had she been caught.

Why are you here? “To see you of course, you seemed a little upset last night. I wanted to make sure you were okay.” Summer’s sad expression turned into one of surprise. Really? I thought, after last night…. I gently placed a hand on her arm, she didn’t even flinch. I thought that when I was so scared to go outside, you finally realized I’m not worth all this time and effort. That you no longer cared about the crazy chick from the South Wing. A few tears rolled down her cheek and onto the paper.

I wanted nothing more than to crush her in a hug, but didn’t want to scare her. “Summer look at me.” I said softly and she lifted her head a little. “You’re my friend. I cared about you, I could never think of you that way. I was thinking of Bailey. We used to walk around like that often and I just… you know.” Okay, maybe that wasn’t entirely true, but I didn’t want to scare her away by telling her I might have feelings for her.

Relieved washed over her and she smiled. “Hey, can I try something?” I asked. She nodded a little unsure, but I knew after last night she trusted me. I took her hand I pulled her up from the bed into a standing position. I pulled her a little closer so our chests were almost touching. “Don’t panic, okay.” I said and gently wrapped my arms around her. She froze in place, but I didn’t let go, awaiting her reaction. After a minute she carefully returned the gesture and soon enough she melted against me.

We stood there for what felt like forever, gently swaying left to right. The same ‘butterfly’ feeling of last night washed over me again. We we’re so wrapped up in our embrace we didn’t hear the door open. “What on earth is going on here!?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments everyone :)
And I'm sorry the updates take so long, I'm just really busy with work :(

Hope you all like the new chapter.... and please don't hate me for what's gonna happen next....

Love, Felicia.