Status: I'll start it by the end of the month, I'm sure!

Be With Someone...

Happy New Year.

“Everyone!” Mario’s voice rang out. “Can I have your attention please?”

Janine was drawn out of her animated conversation with Kris, one she had been thoroughly enjoying. Conversation in the room died down and everyone turned to face the hockey great.

“I would like to thank each and every one of you for coming out tonight,” he began with an arm around his wife. “We had quite the season last year and I have the feeling that this year will be just as successful, whether it’s with Stanley or the Olympics. And as we near a new year, I’d like to thank all of you for doing so much for this organization.”

“Whether it’s on the ice, in the locker rooms, in business meetings, or at home with the players, you all play a major role on this team,” Mario paused to raise his glass. “I would also like to introduce the newest member of the Penguins family.”

Feeling thoroughly buzzed, Janine spoke up.

“Rory!” she gasped. “You didn’t tell me you were pregnant!”

Max played along. “Whoa, Sid. Getting’ it in!”

“Go Captain!” Jordan chuckled.

“Haha,” Sidney said with a frown. “Wait, you’re not pregnant, right?”

Rory’s face was bright red as she shook her head furiously. “No way.”

Anyway,” Mario said loudly. “I would like to introduce our newest physical therapist… Janine Lux.”

The woman in question gagged on her beer and doubled over, hacking.

“What?” she gasped when she managed to catch her breath.

“I’ll take it Dominic hasn’t spoken with you yet, then?” Mario frowned.

“No, he hasn’t,” Janine sighed. “But I’m excited nonetheless.”

“Guys, the countdown’s started!” Heather called out.

5……………

Here’s to starting fresh,’ Janine thought.

4……………

To new beginnings.’

3……………

New adventures.’

2……………

New opportunities.’

Janine looked over at Rory and Sid, who were in each other’s arms.

1……………

And finding new love.’

“Happy New Year, Janine,” Kris said into her ear as he hugged her quickly.

Her eyes went wide, but she smiled anyway.

“Happy New Year to you too, Kristopher,” and before she chickened out, she kissed him. Granted, it was on the cheek, but even that was a lot for Janine.

*****

As the cheers died down, Kris found his gaze drawn back to Janine. She seemed to be looking anywhere but him. Maybe the kiss had been the alcohol. Or maybe not. It was just on the cheek, after all.

“Wait!” Max called out.

“Oh, this oughta be good,” Janine shook her head. One night with the team and she was already picking up on the habits of the players.

“So if Rory’s not pregnant, does that mean Sidney’s not getting any?” he asked with a straight face.

There was a collective groan throughout the room as both Rory and Sidney swatted Max.

“What?” he asked innocently. “It was a legitimate question.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm too tired to do a real author's note. Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!