You're My Wonderwall

The Blue and White Box

Mallory Sanders was making breakfast in the kitchen when Zack woke up. He could smell the waffles, and bacon. Any time, that smell would be the greatest thing in the world in the morning, but not this time. He sat up quickly regretting getting up so fast.

"The restroom is down the hall second door to your left." Mallory spoke behind him.

"How did you know?"

"You were always the worst one with the hangovers growing up." She shrugged.

He chuckled. "Yea, you're right. Well I'll be back."

"Ok, when you come out I have some Advil, and breakfast waiting for you."

"Thank you," He smiled. Then he got up from the sofa, and walked to the restroom. He did his business, and began to wash his face. He reached for the towel to wipe his face when he noticed something in the wastebasket. He picked up the white and blue box staring at it carefully. He couldn't believe his eyes. Maybe it wasn't for her, maybe it was a friend's.

A soft knock came to the door causing the box to fall out of Zacky's hands. "Are you ok, Zack?" Mal's voice rang from the other side of the door.

"Yea." He quickly put the box back where he found it and opened the door. "What's up?"

She shook her head. "Just making sure you're ok."

"I am." He walked out of the restroom and followed her into the kitchen. He saw the plate of food on one end of the small table. "Where's yours?" he asked noticing only one plate.

Mallory shook her head. "I'm not hungry."

Zack sat down and began to eat his waffles and bacon. He avoided eye contact with Mallory. He tried thinking of a way to bring up the box he saw in the bathroom.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on with you?" Mallory spoke first. She was determined to find out the reason for his behavior.

He shook his head slightly angry. "I don't want to talk about it."

Like that excuse was going to keep her from prying into his head. She took a sip of her water and sighed. She was going to have to find a way around this ordeal.

"Zack, I'm just worried about you. You haven't been yourself these past months, and honestly, getting drunk every night isn't going to cure whatever you're feeling. Because when you come down from you're little high, those feelings are going to be right there waiting for you."

He sat there for a few seconds taking in everything he had just heard. It was a different situation now. Usually everyone wants to give him advice when he's drunk, than after the fighting the night before, no one wants to talk to him in the morning. But leave it to Mallory to go maternal on his ass.

Before he could utter a word to her the people were yelling from the front of the house.

"Mal?! Are you home?!" a booming voice was calling out.

Zack looked to Mallory, who had a huge grin spread across her face. She darted up from her seat and ran into the living room leaving Zack in the kitchen alone.

Mallory ran into her brothers big arms. It was as though she was a five year old running into daddy's arms. Matt picked her up and twirled her around. He kissed her forehead and set her down in front of him.

"Hey sis, I see you are more than happy to see me." He smirked.

She smacked his chest. "Duh you big jerk, you didn’t let me know you were coming into town."

He nodded. "I know, it was last minute, but I wanted to surprise you. We wanted to surprise you."

She looked behind him to see everyone else smiling at the sight they were seeing.

"Surprise!" Everyone yelled.

Mal sprung back and grinned. "Val! Johnny! Jimmy! Brian! Chelley! The Berrys!!"

"Hey kiddo!" Val smiled.

Then everyone walked around her to elope into a group hug.

"I feel the fucking love!" Matt Berry cheered.

"Eww, I feel your love too, and trust me, it's nothing to be happy about." Johnny groaned pushing him away from him.

Everyone pulled away from the hug and began to crack up at the comment.

"Sorry Zacky couldn't come. He….um…" Jimmy started to say.

"I'm right here." Everyone turned their heads in the direction of the extra voice in the room. There stood Zack in a white shirt and boxers.

"Hey man." Johnny said calmly breaking the tension.

Zack just nodded in response. He knew they weren't happy to see him. Mal looked between her brother and Zack. She knew something was up, but wasn't sure.

"I'm gonna use the restroom." Matt announced. Then he walked past everyone. He slammed the door to the restroom door shut.

"I need a cig, I'll be back in 5" Brian sighed. He walked out the front door.

"I smell fucking food. Mind if I help myself?" Matt Berry asked sweetly.

Mal shook her head. "No, there's a lot left."

Matt, his brother, Jimmy, and Chelley, went into the kitchen, walking past Zack.

Mal sighed and looked at Val and Johnny. "What hell is going on?"

Val looked at Johnny than at Zack. Then she looked back at Mal.

"They fucking left me on the street that's what's going on." Zack said angrily.

"No we didn't you asshole. You were fucking drunk, and ready to fight everyone." Johnny said matching Zacky's tone.

"When you're sorry ass is in the same state I was, I don't leave you in a city all alone."

"Fuck you man! You left us!"

"Guys-"

"No Mal, he has to hear this! Zack you need to fucking shape up, don't go around fucking this up for us!"

"I'm not fucking anything up!"

"Yea you are! We're never going to make it to recording if we only have one guitarist, because the other one drank himself to death!"

By this time everyone who was in the kitchen were standing in the living room watching and hearing the fight going on between Johnny and Zack.

"It's my life I can do what I want!" he shouted at Johnny.

"You forget the people who love you are the ones you're really hurting."

"I don't fucking need this, not from you!" Zacky yelled throwing his hands up in the air. Then he stormed off into Mal's room. When the door slammed everyone in the living room fell silent. Mal looked around at all her friends.

"Aren't you going to talk to him?" She yelled at them angrily.

Everyone shook their head at her. They weren't going to do it.

"He's fine, when he wants to talk, we're here to listen." Val shrugged off.

"What is wrong with you!? I mean we're all best friends, we're all supposed to help him." Mal couldn't believe it. No one was going to talk to Zack. It's as if they gave up on him, and that's not what best friends do.

After a couple minutes no one moved from their spot, no one said anything. Fed up with them Mal walked away towards her room. She opened the door softly, and saw Zacky lying on his back on the bed. She closed the door softly and walked over to him. She lay down and snuggled close to him. Zack's reaction was to put his arm around her waist. He pulled her closed and began to cry softly. With anyone else this would be embarrassing, but he always felt comfortable around her.

"I'm sorry." She whispered to him. she softly stroked her fingers through his hair.

He shook his head. "You have no reason to be."

"Yes, they gave up on you, and they shouldn't have." she stopped stroking his hair, and placed her hand on his chest.

"But you didn't." He wiped away his tears and took a deep breath.

She smiled at him. "No, because I know you can get through this. I'm always going to be here for you."

"Thanks."

Silence filled the room afterwards. Although this time it was a comfortable silence. They were just enjoying the company of having someone there for them. It was something htey both needed. Then Zack broke the silence.

"I'm scared I won't find some one else." He exhaled sadly.

"Everyone feels like that when they get their heart broken."

"I know, but still, it's hard."

"And it won't get any easier." She inhaled sharply and hugged him tighter. "Zacky, can you keep a secret?"

"You know I can." He smiled warmly glancing down at her.

She tore herself away from him and sat up. She turned her upper body facing him.

"I'm pregnant." Mallory whispered looking at Zack with teary eyes.

The look she was giving him was breaking Zacky's heart even more. The suspicions of the box in the restroom were confirmed with her statement.

"Who's the dad?" He asked reaching up and wiping away some of the fallen tears with him thumb.

She shook her head violently. "The guy had been dating; but-but-he-he doesn't want it. He left me." It was there when she lost control. She threw herself on Zack and sobbed heavily into his chest. She hadn't told anyone about this, and it finally felt good to let it all out.

Zack wrapped his arms around her and stroked her hair softly. He was trying his best to conceal the angry boiling inside him. He hated to see his best friend cry. Most importantly he wanted to kick the asshole that hurt her.

When he was sure she had stopped crying he asked, "Are you going to keep it?"

She nodded. "I want it. I just don't know how to tell Matt, I know he'll be disappointed and then want to go kick his ass."

"He won't be disappointed. He loves you, we all do. We'll be there to help with anything. As for that guy, there's just no hope hiding him from your brother." Zack answered a matter of factly. He knew Matt would be a little disappointed in her; he had so much hope for his sister to become something great. But he was not going to share that info with her.

"Will you be with me when I tell him? I don't think I can do it alone." She lifted her head to meet his green eyes.

"Of course I will." He smiled. "You don't have to do this alone."

Mal returned the smile and put her head back on his chest. They stayed like that for a bout 20 minutes before they heard Matt yelling from the living room.

"No! Don't tell me that! I need to talk to her! Mallory Jane Sanders!! Get your ass out here now!" His voiced boomed throughout the house.

Mallory and Zacky bolted up from the bed. They knew whatever was on the other side of the door was not good. Mal's eyes were wide, and her breathing quickened.

"It's ok. I'm here." Zack assured her. They walked towards the door. Mallory grabbed his hand and he gave her a gentle squeeze. A signal showing he wasn't leaving her side any time soon.

They opened the door and Mal led the way out. When they walked into the living room, they were met with Matt's angry face.

"What the fuck is this?" He asked holding up the same box Zack found in the restroom.

The air from Mallory's chest escaped. A large lump formed in her throat, and all the heat rushed to her face. She knew she had to tell Matt sometime, but she didn't want it to be right now. All the thoughts and words left her. She was speechless.

"Wha-Wha-where did you get that?" She stuttered shocked that he had found her secret out too soon.

"Does it matter?! Do you have something to tell me?" He yelled. He took a small step closer towards her and Zack.

"Babe, you're over reacting. Maybe it isn't hers." Val tried reasoning. She put her hand on Matt's forearm attempting to pull him back.

Matt turned his head, and looked at her. "No! I want an answer from her."

Mallory felt Zack's arm wrap around her waist. He pulled her close to him. "It's ok. I'm here, you can tell him." He whispered softly in her ear.

Mal took a deep breath and sighed. This was the hardest thing she would have to say to her brother. It was also the scariest moment of her life. Almost like the time he found out Brian took her virginity.

"Matt, sit down." She sighed closing her eyes. She wasn't going to allow herself to cry right now. It was a good thing she could still control her hormones.

"What-why?!"

"Just listen to her, and then she'll tell you." Val answered calmly for her. Mal was so grateful for Val at that moment.

Matt looked as if he was going to protest, but then settle himself on the couch with Val. Mallory smiled slightly and took a deep breath. She could do this, she knew she could.

"Ok, well, I'm pregnant, and I'm going to keep the baby." She told him quietly. She closed her eyes and held her breath. This is the part he was supposed to explode with anger.

The room was filled with silence. All eyes were now on Mallory and Matt. Everyone was waiting for Matt to explode in any given minute. Matt on the other hand was focusing on what she just told him. His angry face softened once he realized what his little sister just told him.

"Oh baby girl!" Matt cooed. He stood up and wrapped his big arms around his sister's shoulders and pulled her in for a hug. "It's going to be ok."

Mal didn't even react to his actions. She didn't know how to. This was far from what she expected it to be. She had hoped that after her brother accepted the fact that she was having a baby, she would feel relief, but she didn't. She felt confused.

Matt kept holding on to her waiting for a reaction, but he got none back. So he pulled away to get a look at her. All he could see were her blue eyes teary up. He was going to make her cry and that was the last idea he had in mind. But something told him there were something more to the tears ready to cry.

"Who's the father?" He asked sitting back down. He had asked the one question she didn't want to have to answer him. This time for sure he was going to explode.

Her confidence she had, shrunk once more, and she suddenly didn't want to answer the question. She looked down to her right and saw that Zack was still holding on to her hand. Zack and Mal's eyes met and he smiled encouraging her to tell him.

"Well, you see, um, the father, well he-he-" Mal started out.

Then a thought occurred to Zack, if she told him the truth, Matt would for sure do anything possible to find this guy and beat his ass senseless. Then he would be upset that his sister dated an asshole like that, and got pregnant with his kid. He couldn't let that happen to her.

Then he did the unthinkable:

"I'm the father." Zack suddenly blurted out.

"What?!" Everyone yelled outloud in shock. All eyes were on him waiting for an explanation.

Oh Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woah.....message/comment.

I still need a girl for Johnny...any takers?