Sequel: High Tide
Status: Finished.

Waves

~Twenty One: Graduation~

Months went by. Tristan and I planned on attending a college in Miami so he could keep his job and I wouldn't have to move out of the house. I didn't resent Jason, but I pitied him. He wasn't himself for awhile and almost lost his scholarship to the University of Florida. He became very bitter toward me, but I figured it was normal. 

"You okay under there?" Tristan asked. I set down the tools and rolled from underneath the silver Hyundai. Tristan was standing there in all his glory, the sun behind his back that outlined him in gold. I smiled and picked myself off the ground.

"Never been better," I said wrapping my arms around him. He rubbed my cheek with his finger to remove a dark smudge of grim on my face. Ever since us seniors got out, I had asked Charlie for a job which he gladly accepted. I learned to change oil, replace a battery, change filters, and change all the fluids. The worst case we had was when an old lady came in and tell us she put gasoline in a Diesel engine. It took us forever to pump out the fluids of her car and then even longer to look for any damage. 

"Next weekend we are graduating," I said to pass the time. Tristan went over to the car to check on everything. I wanted to ask him something, but I wondered how he would take it? "I was wondering..." I rambled. This caught his attention and he looked around to face me. I never rambled about things unless it was something important. 

"Clary, you know you can ask me anything," he said. His eyes softened and became like still water. 

"I was thinking... that maybe... if you were okay with it... um, wow I'm bad at this," I said weakly. Tristan came over and gave me a quick kiss for encouragement. "I was thinking we could get a place for ourselves." Tristan froze slightly and then laughed. 

"Is this why you've been so nervous?" He smiled, it was one of pure joy and a little relief. He kissed my forehead, eyes, nose, cheeks, and then my lips. "Of course we can get a place together." I smiled. Again everything was perfect and I wanted nothing to change how I felt.

When graduation came I was dressed in our school colors. My dad did all the motherly things and took pictures and even more when Mel and Tristan came over. By time the ceremony started Mel was in tears as she heard Pomp and 
Circumstance begin to play. I sat away from everyone except for Jackie who had a relatively close last name to mine. 

"Wow, this is it," she said staring at the groups of kids walking up as their names were called.

"Yeah," I answered.

"To be honest, I've thought a lot about what I've been doing," she said. She didn't look at me as she said it, but every word she spoke held a note of truth. "I know I'm a slut and a bitch at times, but I guess that was my way with handling things."

"Don't worry about it. None of us are perfect," I said giving her a hug. 

"Thanks," she smiled. Tears formed in her eyes and she quickly wiped them away. "You're such a good friend." Her name was called and she walked up to the stage and received her diploma. I walked after her and caught Tristan's eye. He smiled and blew me a kiss which I returned. When the ceremony was over we all went outside and said our good-byes and promised to to stay in touch. 

"It's over," Tristan whispered in my ear. His arms were wrapped around my waist as my back rested against his warm chest. 

"Tristan," I said, "I love you."

"I love you too," he smiled before kissing me. My dad then came over and was smiling brightly. His girlfriend, Cathy, was by his side. She was a nice petite lady with a warm heart.

"I'm so proud of you," said my dad. He took a picture of Tristan and I before taking my diploma. 

"Thanks dad," I said. 

"Congratulations," said Cathy handing me a bouquet of flowers.

"Thank—" I began as a screech rang through the street. Loud screams of panic arose as people moved away from the road. I ran to see what happened and found Jackie on the street. She wasn't moving and a pool of blood was forming around her. She had been shot and her attacker was nowhere in sight.

"Oh my God!" Screamed Mel. "Somebody call 911!" 
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't tell you all how sorry I am, but I didn't want to leave this story unfinished. I promise to write the sequel "High Tide", but it'll be slow work in progress. Time for the epilogue to this...