Carry on, Wayward Dean

Chapter Eight

“So he’s… one of the four horsemen?” Zacky clarified. Cas was posted outside, keeping watch as Dean informed the newcomers.

“Basically the Grim Reaper?” Matt asked and Dean nodded. The men fell into silence, all understanding, but still surprised.

“Death, as you were saying…” Dean started, turning in his seat to face to the old man who was once again chewing on a lovely piece of pizza. He set his fork and knife down, then stood up. He took his walking cane in one hand, his ring glinting in the light.

“I was saying that I need you, Dean, to stop the apocalypse,” Death finished.

“Me? How? Don’t you think I’ve already tried to clean up this mess?”

“I can’t tell you how. All I can say is that you are the only one who is capable of doing so. That is why I am telling you that you’re about to be discovered by a demon. Lucifer cannot know where you are. You must leave and find somewhere safe to hide until you know how to fix it all,” Death explained. “I do not want to be bound to Lucifer. I am not a slave, and I have a real job to be doing. Therefore, I am temporarily putting my fate in your hands.”

“I don’t think I can do it…” Dean said quietly.

“Stop the apocalypse, Dean. You have all you need to do it now. Don’t let me down,” Death said powerfully before disappearing. Dean sighed and his head fell into his hands. No, he couldn’t end the apocalypse. He had already tried so hard to fix things, and all it had done was kill more innocent people. There was no way to stop Lucifer, and no way to rescue Sam. Oh, poor Sammy… The crap he must be going through right now… Lucifer must be torturing him to no end, making him suffer like never before. And it was all Dean’s fault.

“I can’t do it,” Dean stated.

“Looks like you don’t have much of a choice,” Brian remarked as he stood up. “He said you have all you need to stop it, and I don’t think he’d lie.”

“You have to do it. Think of all the innocent people that we’re fighting for,” Matt added.

“But… It’s Lucifer, and my brother is trapped inside… and the face of this planet is covered in monsters. I just don’t see how I can possibly do this anymore. The odds are stacked up so high against me,” Dean said sadly. “I need whiskey...”

“You need hope,” Zacky commented. “And we need to go before that demon finds us.” Dean, however, didn’t move. He stayed seated, head in hands. Matt joined his side.

“Hey, remember how you inspired me to be strong for Val when I was mourning for her? Be strong for your brother. Do this for him and your family. Sam is still alive, so save him. You have our help, one hundred percent of the way,” Matt said positively, his voice incredibly encouraging. “Come on. Stand up and be the bigger man. For Sam.” After a bit of thinking, Dean rose and confidently faced his new friends, his hand tightly gripping the handle of his dagger as he held back his anger.

“For Sam,” Dean agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's it. Please share your overall thoughts of this short story - I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for the lovely comments along the way. Wish me luck in the contest, and I hope you've enjoyed reading. :)