Status: Completed

I've Abandoned Control

Chapter 3

As I walked back over to Paige with our drinks, I took in how beautiful she was. She wasn’t an everyday kind of beautiful but a rare breed. She had long brown hair and naturally tan skin, curves in all the right places. I’ve seen and been around a lot of different kinds of women and this one was just different. I just got out of a relationship with a girl and I didn’t intend on instantly getting back into something serious. I wasn’t looking for that right now.

We talked the night before until we couldn’t hold our eyes open anymore. I haven’t done that with anyone in a very long time. Most of the time the girls only wanted one thing out of me, and I usually gave it to them for my own satisfaction. I found out she transferred from her hometown hospital in Tennessee to Cedars-Sanai here in town. She was a registered nurse. We shared stories of our childhood. I told her about life of the road and my future plans with Antoine and his music. When I talked she actually listened to me. There was no alterier motive behind it. It seemed she took in every word I said, as well as I did hers.

When Jared suggested I meet Jana’s best friend that just moved here I was a little hesitant, but my brother being as persistent as he is eventually talked me into it. When I seen her coming towards the table in the restaurant last night I knew then that I had to get to know her.

Quickly bringing me back to reality I heard her soft voice say, “Well I guess it’s just us.” That’s the way I liked it, just us. Taking a drink of our smoothies I had made I asked her if she liked it. She smiled at me and nodded her head while taking another drink. “I love pineapple. This smoothie is amazing Shannon. First you cook an amazing breakfast and now you whip this up. If this music thing doesn’t work out I think you have a backup plan.” I busted out laughing. “I doubt that.”

She looked at her phone checking the time. “I guess I better go. I don’t want to wear out my welcome..” Gathering her things she got up and turned to me and said, “Last night was so much fun and today was amazing. I had a really good time.” She said turning back around heading for the gate.

I couldn’t just let her leave without knowing if I was going to be able to see her again. Snapping me out of my thoughts I yelled at her, “Paige don’t go. Will you have dinner with me tonight?” She stopped and turned towards me not saying a word. “Just me and you, by ourselves, we could even order takeout if you’d like. Whatever you want to do is fine.”

She still didn’t say a word. She kept her head down as she made her way back over to where I was standing and lifted her eyes to mine and said, “I’d love that, but can I ask you a question first?”

Looking into her eyes I knew whatever the question was I wouldn’t be able to lie to her. I wanted to keep her at arms length, but I didn’t know if I could do that. “I know that I was a rebound date to get you to mingle with other people after your split with your ex. I knew that beforehand and I’m okay with that but I just need to know how long it has been since you two broke it off?”

Thinking about all we talked about the night before I soon realized we didn’t discuss that. “We have been apart for over 3 weeks now. It was a bad situation for me to go through I’m not going to lie about that. It’s still hard sometimes, but Paige I really want to get to know you better. So please have dinner with me tonight.” She seemed to like the response I gave her because she agreed. “Here let me drive you.”

I quickly grabbed my keys from my room and drove her to her apartment a couple of streets over. We rode in silence. She was about to step out of the truck then she turned around to thank me for the ride. I grabbed her by her wrist and pulled her back into the truck and pressed my lips to hers. I loved how she tasted. Her lips were so soft. I broke away and managed to say “I’ll be here at 7 to pick you up okay. I can’t wait.” She nodded licking her lips and exited the truck. As I pulled away from the house I caught myself smiling, thinking to myself how bad this could turn out.