Status: Completed

I've Abandoned Control

Chapter 30

Friday night could not get here fast enough, I was long over due for a drink. I still haven’t spoken to Shannon since I found out about Maria. When I talked to Jana yesterday she told me their flight would be around noon today, I explained to her that I probably wouldn’t come around for the next few days because I didn’t want to see Shannon.

I knew the exact moment that he landed because my phone started ringing constantly. The nonstop calls and texts from him were almost unbearable. I knew if I just picked up and talked to him then the point I was trying to prove would be all for nothing. If I heard his voice or seen his face I would melt like putty in his hands and do whatever he told me to and I am stronger than that, I will not give into him this time. Putting my phone on silent, I went into town to do a little shopping for tonight.

Friday evening in downtown LA was a complete nightmare. Being unsuccessful in finding something to wear, I finally made it out of the swarm of traffic and headed home to get ready. Jana had tons of clothes I could wear for tonight but I wasn’t about to go to their house. So I decided to wear the tight black lace dress that I wore for my birthday and pin my hair in a up do.

I arrived at the club 30 minutes later than the time we all agreed on. I spotted Kendra in the corner waving at me like a crazy person, “I’m so glad you could make it Paige. We already ordered shots. I hope you like Jager,” she shouted over the music. I don’t really care too much for Jager but tonight was an exception. I was here to forget about everything and everyone. Four shots later and a few glasses of amaretto sour’s, we were all on the dance floor. I could feel the music beating through my body as I swayed my hips to the rhythm. I guess this is what Shannon meant by getting lost in the music.

Stumbling back to the bar to get another drink I was met by the bluest eyes I had ever seen. I glanced up at him and gave him a shy smile. He leaned over and whispered in my ear, “What are we drinking tonight?”

“Oh just a amaretto sour please,” I said as I tucked my hair behind my ear. “Evan,” he said as he reached out his hand. “Nice to meet you, I’m Paige” I said as I placed my hand into his. I invited him to come sit at the table with us. He was a joy to talk to sweet, funny, nice. He was closer to my age also, but when he mentioned that he was a musician, I wanted to run for the door.

Excusing myself, I made a quick trip to the restroom to freshen up. When I got back to our table I was fixing to sit down when Evan grabbed my wrist and led me out to the dance floor. He was a real good dancer, he was fun too. I liked him, he was the perfect distraction to keep my mind off of Shannon. About half way through the song I could feel the room starting to spin. Evan must have noticed because he put his hand on my cheek, looked into my eyes smiling, “You’ve had to much to drink tonight, haven’t you?” I gave him a nod and laid my head on his shoulder.

We made our way back to our table, as Evan guided me into the booth, I sat down and checked my phone to see that I had 8 missed calls from Shannon and a few texts. “Go fuck your ex girlfriend,” I mumbled to myself as I put my cell back in my clutch. I looked over at Evan who was talking with some of my friends, that he apparently knew. Eying him up and down, I decided he wasn’t a bad looking guy actually he was quite gorgeous with his long hair, aqua blue eyes, nice plump lips, and those tattoos.

“Are you checking me out?” he whispered in my ear. “Maybe,” I giggled leaning closer to his face. Our lips met briefly, it was just a simple sweet kiss, but it was rather nice. I haven’t had a chance to mingle since I moved here, and if I was going to do so, I’m glad it was with this guy.

Feeling a rush of heat cover my face, I excused myself to go get a water. After standing in line for almost 5 minutes, I finally made my way back to where we were sitting. As I looked up, I seen Evan standing up to greet me.

“Paige! I want you to meet the guy I work for.” he said putting his arm around me. When I seen the familiar face that I tried so hard to forget tonight, standing in front of me, my body went completely numb.

“Paige, this is Shannon. Shannon this is Paige.” Evan said introducing us. He had no idea I knew he guy he worked for all too well.

Grabbing my hand like the smug bastard he is he said, “Nice to meet you Paige.” placing a kiss on my hand. Shocked that he was pretending like he didn’t know who I was, I removed my hand from his. Looking up at Evan, I asked, “Evan will you take me home?”

Agreeing to do so, Evan grabbed me by my waist after saying his goodbye to Shannon and started leading us out of the club. After taking a couple of steps towards the door, I turned around and said, “Nice to meet you Shannon.” The look on his face was priceless, if he wanted to play this game, I would show him I could play it better.