Status: active, depending on what happens

Take A Breath, Let the Rest Come Easy

18

She woke up to a pounding in her skull that would not go away. God, she felt like shit. Her hand felt too restrained, her tongue- too thick. Her head felt like it weighed 400 pounds, and her limbs were sore. She flickered open her eyes, squinting into the brightness of the room.

“Shit.” She said out loud. A hand gripped hers. “Is this a hospital?” Her free hand went to her forehead.

“Yeah, baby, it’s a hospital.” A voice rang in the room, alerting her ears. It took a minute for her to regain vision, and she looked up into the smiling eyes of Zack, Jack, Rian, and Lauren. She looked down at the hand that gripped hers- Zack had her held tightly and would not let go. She swallowed, and wondered where Alex was.

“What happened?” Grace asked, noticing how her voice sounded significantly better than she remembered.

“You knocked yourself out.” Zack said, brushing a hand down her face.

“How?” she groaned, moving her feet around under the warm white blankets.

“Your blood sugar was so low.” Zack gripped her fingers tighter. Grace stared at him confused, Zack had never acted this way towards her before. She knew he was good friends with Alex, and him acting like this was odd. Then again- Alex not being there was odd as well.

“You scared the shit out of me.” Lauren inhaled a shaky breath, looking like she had been crying.

“I’m fine.” Grace said effortlessly, trying to calm the nerves of her friends. She was glad they were there.

A very flustered Alex then shot through the hallways of the hospital. He hadn’t been home when Grace passed out. He actually left again after Zack had caught him red handed.

He pushed his way past a few nurses, and made his way into Grace’s room. Lauren had called him saying that Lauren was severely dehydrated, and had a dangerously low blood pressure which caused her to pass out. “Grace?” He questioned, and watched as Zack dropped her hand, and move to the side. Her hand was hooked up to an IV, and her hair hung loosely against her face and on her blue hospital gown. He pressed his hand against her forehead, and leaned down to kiss her lips. “What the hell happened?” He asked, searching her eyes. Alex turned to look at the rest of the guys, waiting for an answer.

“She passed out.” Zack said quietly. “Low blood sugar.” He sat in a chair across the room.

“Where were you?” Grace asked tiredly. Alex shifted his eyes from her and then focused back. He looked completely guilty.

“I went out.” He said. “But I’m here now.” He took her hand and pressed a kiss to it.

“Where did you go?” Grace asked again, she had a feeling Alex wasn’t telling her everything. Alex licked his lips and looked around the room. Jack stared at him questioningly, and Zack crossed his arms.

“Let’s not talk about it now.” He said. “I’m so glad you’re alright.” He rubbed circles on her palm. He felt his face heating up, God it sucked feeling like that.

Grace’s stubbornness didn’t let Alex go, “Alex,” She put her I.V hand against his face. “What’s going on?” She winced against the throbbing in her head and chest.

“Baby, you must be so tired, we can talk later- okay?” Alex tried, looking like he was about to burst into tears himself. Grace knew something was wrong, she turned to look at Zack but he wouldn’t look her in the eye.

Jack got up and put his arm on Alex’s shoulder, he muttered something in his ear, “Maybe you should go.” She thought he said. Alex stood up and continued to stare at Grace. He felt like his chest was exploding. How could he tell her what he had done, while she was lying there- lucky to be alive? He looked past her at the monitor, he felt sick just thinking about it. He had played girls before, or used them, and what not- but with Grace it was different, he felt like the worst human being on the face of the planet.

“I have to go.” Alex muttered, just loud enough for Grace to hear.

“Why?” She whispered, tears starting to brim at her eyes. She thought, “What the hell is happening?”

“I just need to go.” He put a hand to his face and then turned around.

“What the fuck, man?” Rian asked as he went to the door. Alex pushed past him and left.
Slow tears fell down Grace’s face as she became completely overwhelmed by the situation- everyone was acting so weird. Lauren went to her side immediately. “Hey, hey-“ She tried, pushing back some of her hair. “Just chill.” She said worriedly. “Grace- you need to rest, don’t worry about him. He’s just being a dick for some reason.” She consoled her.

---

Zack bolted out of the room and went and followed Alex who was booking it out of the hospital. “HEY!” Zack yelled, and Alex turned around. “Where the hell are you going?”

“I can’t be in there.” Alex said, ashamed.

“She’s you’re God dammed girlfriend, Alex!” He shot back.

“Zack, I can’t be in there- I can’t tell her.” He shook his head.

“Damn straight you can’t tell her, right now!” Zack retorted. “But you better fucking tell her when she gets out of here, or I will.”

“I know.” Alex said.

“Do you even care about her, at all?” Zack asked.

“Of course I care!” Alex yelled, causing a few in the hospital to look. “I fucked up! Okay? Are you happy I admitted it? I. Fucked. Up.” Alex fumed. “She’s the only girl I’ve actually ever cared about, except for Lisa.”

“You need to get your shit together.” Zack muttered. Alex nodded, and with nothing more to say- he left out the automatic doors.
♠ ♠ ♠
meh... this sucks.. i know.

haha but I'm working on wrapping this up and preparing it for a sequel. I really hope you guys still like it? Let me know how I'm doing!

Comment? Subscribe? Shoot me in the face?

PS Sorry if there are errors!