Doctors and Dresses

Family Time

After the charity dinner Francine was ushered off to the nearby airport. It was small, and nothing compared to Heathrow. Ron was in a hurry, putting his hand on the small of her back to guide her while talking away on his mobile with the other hand. She shuffled behind. Regardless that she had over two decades of walking under her belt, add high heels to the equation and suddenly the task became difficult.

Ron stopped at the bottom of the stairs and conversed briefly with the pilot and co-pilot. Francine was always taught to never bite the hand that feeds you - she was also taught that the phrase extends to the employees whom provide transportation. The pilot smiled tenderly and waited for them to board. Once in the seating area Ron temporarily turned off his phone to work on paper and Francine started filling out the necessary paperwork for the next semester of school.

“Ron.”

He looked up with his dark eyes, “Yeah?”

“What elective should I take next semester? Art or a language?” Francine was currently in her third year of university. She had changed her major about four times and was settling into political science and philosophy that combine to make pre-law. That way she can branch out independently or work for her father’s company.

“Art. You’re going to have a lot of papers so you might need to doodle a little.” Another thing that was amusing about Ron was that he was American.

“Alright, but if I have to recreate the Mona Lisa, you’re helping me.” Ron just winked at her.

The rest of the plane ride passed easily and silently, when they landed at the private airport in the south of Italy, she saw her mom waiting at the pavilion.

Her mother, Dina, was blond and pale. Her eyes were a hazel color. Dina had hair down to her shoulders and it was always blown out. She was a caring woman that insisted on cooking no matter how much the family pleaded otherwise. Although her cooking was not the best, her advice was brilliant. It didn’t matter where she was, or what time it was, she always put in her wise two cents. For the most part, it was always worth it.

John, her father, aged quickly. He now sported a balding head with a white beard. His eyes were brown, and he had a large nose that took up most of his face. His hands were rough from years of fishing and sailing. John liked to tell stories, to amuse the crowd, and his most popular story was how he met his wife. Which occurred when John was visiting France with his cousins. He met her at a restaurant and started talking. The rest is history.

Although her family is extremely close, they did send Francine, and their other four children away for schooling. The boarding school was in France and was Dina’s alma mater. John always stressed the importance of education and wanted his kids to get the very best. As a result of their time there, each child was fluent in french.

Francine was the last to go through school. Her eldest brother, Tyler, inherited his father’s looks. Michael was born two years later, and had dark hair and olive skin. Sarah was born three years after him, she is the most mature out of the kids, and is the image of her mother. Patricia was born only a eighteen months afterward, she has olive skin and brown hair. The two sisters are inseparable. Six years later was Francine, the surprise baby.

Regardless that Francine had four siblings that meant the world to her, she made a best friend on her first day of school. Dakota Fitzsimmons has been friends with her since she moved into her first grade dormitory at the boarding school. They continued to share a dorm until their senior year in high school. Dakota was very athletic, in fact she attended the school on a rowing and academic scholarship. She was raised in America, and had no clue who the Mayfield’s were. When she did find out, it made no difference to her. That’s why Francine loves her.

On the car ride home she thought it was a good idea to dial up her friend. She missed her voice and was anxious for an update.

“Frannie?” The voice sounded like she was talking into a pillow.

Suddenly Francine became aware that Dakota was spending her holiday at home, in Ohio. Normally details don’t slip her mind, but she was in a totally different mind set. She was distracted.

“Sorry, Fitz. I completely forgot what time it would be in the States. What time is it there?”

“Nine.”

“Nine?”

“Yeah, nine. What’s wrong with it?”

“You’re acting like it’s three AM.”

“Well, some of us don’t get to jet off every night to a new country.” Her familiar sarcastic voice made Francine laugh.

“Frannie, when will I see you?”

“When we’re knee deep in construction at Cape Town! My dad can’t wait to see you again, he’s missed you since parents weekend last fall.”

“Well remind him that I won’t look as pretty in the heat. Plus I have to get like a bazillion shots to go to Africa! Shots don’t make me look pretty, unless they’re the kind that have alcohol in them.”

“You think alcohol makes you pretty?”

“Hell to the no! But if the people that are in the general vicinity have alcohol in their system, I look pretty damn good.”

Not only has Dakota been loyal to her throughout the years, she is even close with Francine’s family. Dakota was the one to start the nickname Frannie, and she also represents the Mayfield family in America at times. Plus, both girls continued their education together at the same university. They both attend the University of Oxford.

“Oh!” Francine said suddenly, making Ron and her mother jump out of their seat. “How’s Jacob? Does he like America?”

“Of course he does. I mean, I’m here.” They each laughed at Dakota's statement. Jacob has been her boyfriend since freshman year. This was his first trip out to the States, and Dakota couldn’t stop talking about throughout Trinity Term. The following year the three of them where renting out a flat off campus. It was a two bedroom place, with a living room, kitchen and bathroom.

“Okay, well tell him I say hi. Oh! And tell him that we can’t wait to see him in Africa! I’ve got to go, I’m at the vineyard.”

“Oh no!” Dakota faked, “A vineyard in Italy, what ever will I do?” They each laughed at her silliness, “But see you later. Call after the hospital thing. I need to figure out if the opening outfit is usable for me!” The each hung up and Francine looked out at the familiar vineyard settings as the car pulled up the driveway.

☤ ☤ ☤ ☤

Harry wasn’t too keen on the idea of spending some time with his brother and sister-in-law. They were great people, and he didn’t have any issue with them. However, since his break up with Chelsy Davy the two have been itching to set him up. Especially Catherine. She offered up several girls, and he was beginning to wonder if she knew every female in Great Britain. They joked about his single status, but the press were growing tired. Every girl that was in the same room as him was suddenly Harry’s new girlfriend. The paparazzi's tireless efforts to dub someone a new princess was getting increasingly more annoying.

He stepped out of his apartment and traveled to Anglesey, Wales. William had called the week before, he asked if Harry would spend his last Sunday on his short military leave with him and his wife for dinner. He had news. Harry didn’t have a clue to what that could possibly be.

When he arrived at the home in Wales, he was once again taken aback at how large the building was. Walking into the home, he saw how his sister-in-law had personalized the property to fit her and William’s cozy style.

“Harry!” Kate walked by with a roast in her hands, and she placed it on the dinning room table. She looked thin, as usual since the wedding. Her casual home appearance differed from what the public saw. Her hair was curly from top to bottom, unlike the famed straight top and curled ends. She dressed in a pair of simple dark jeans with a tunic.

“Hey, Kate.” He lifted up the bottle of wine he brought, “Where should I put the wine?”

“What is it?” She asked while arranging the place settings.

“Um, a white one. Sharpham Bacchus.”

She inhaled sharply. “I don’t think that’ll go best with tonight’s meal. Maybe another time?” Kate turned around and grabbed the bottle. “I’ll put it in the chiller.”

Harry surveyed the table, “Are you cooking for the President of America? The table arrangements doesn’t have to be perfect. Who cares whether or not we’re dining on fine china-”

“I care.” She stated simply, “This meal has to be perfect. Wills should be back any second. He was just out walking. Meanwhile, I have to finish some things in the kitchen, you can watch the telly.”

She flashed a smile.

“Uh, alright then.” Harry made his way to the couch. He sat there for awhile watching the show Doctor Who until his brother, William, walked in with his dog, Lupo.

“Aren’t you just the cutest?” He heard William say in an overly adoring voice. “Yes you are. Yes you are!”

“Will.”

He stopped suddenly, “Oh, Harry. What’s up?”

“You tell me. You’re the one who has the news.”

William eyes widened and then relaxed, “Right, that.”

He escorted his brother to another room where he told him the news. He explained that he could not go to Africa. Then he explained that his friends booked hotel rooms in the Swish Alps. He said that he and Kate had many engagements the week prior and needed a vacation. Sadly, Africa would have to be another time. William patted Harry on his back, apologized, and went to the dinner table.

The meal continued as planned. Harry ate his meat and vegetables in silence while listening to William go on about something. In his daydreaming trance he thought of Francine. He wondered what her family was like. He noted that they also operated similarly to the royal family. He grinned at the memory of her calling him a charity God.

“What are you grinning about,” Asked Kate.

“Oh, I was just remembering my night at the hospital dinner.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A filler chapter. What can I say? I wanted to get the introducing of the families out of the way. However the more detailed family stories will be shared in later chapters.

Share with me your thoughts about it. And questions, comments, concerns? I appreciate the comments from the first chapter. Thank you!