Status: ongoing

We Were Both Young

02 You Again

Image

After we finished our drinks, Danielle dragged me out to the dance floor. It seemed like hours we were dancing, laughing, and sweating. But I knew it had only been about one hour. Either way, I was ready for some shots, and I knew Danielle was getting there too. We were both close to a heat stroke, and the teenagers beside us were getting rowdy. So we made a run for it and headed back to the bar. There, we ordered a round of shots. Hpnotiq, of course.

After we downed our shots, we danced some more. The night was going pretty good. Danielle must have snuck a few more drinks during her 'bathroom trips' because she definitely seemed more tipsy than I was. She was already starting to do her drunk laugh.

"I'm getting hot again! Do you wanna go outside to cool down?" Danielle shouted over the pulsing music.

I nodded, and she led the way towards the door. The bouncer asked to see the stamp on our hands before we walked out, then waved us on.
Danielle went left and went all the way to the side of the club, rounding the corner and didn't stop until we were completely behind it, settled under a flickering streetlight. We leaned against the building and Danielle started a new conversation.

"Oh God, I'm having soooo much fun tonight. I wish we could stay here all night. "
Her words were a little meshed together when she spoke, so I knew she was buzzed.

"I agree, I haven't had this much fun in forever. But I forgot my black and mild in the car and we parked like all the way down the street." I said.

I started to look for people with cigarettes, and noticed a group of guys across the parking g lot.
There were five of them hanging around a van, talking and smoking. Yesssssss!

"Hey, walk over there with me so I can bum a cigarette from one of them please." I asked Danielle, pointing to the dudes.

And Danielle being buzzed, agreed and walked across the lot with me.
When we reached them, I had to speak to get their attention because they were so engaged in their conversation.
They were all rocker looking guys. Though I could only see three of them clearly, I could tell they were partiers. The other two were turned away, having their own talk.

"Excuse me, can I bum a. Cigarette? " I said softly.

Only one of them heard me, and turned towards me.

"Kale?" The familiar man said in astonishment.

My old nickname brought back fragile memories of High school. Everyone I knew just called me Kailynn now, and as I looked closer through the dark, I recognized Brian. One of Zacky's old bandmates.
The smile on my face was unmistakably joyous. Brian was just as surprised to see me as I was, him.
The other two standing with him turned at the mention of my name, and what do yo know - Matt and Jimmy, more friends.

"Hey Brian." I said through my grin.

He advanced so quickly, he caught me off guard when he swooped me up and spun me around. After he set me down, Matt and Jimmy did the same.

But the other two were still standing at the front of the van, having an intense chat.

"Who's you're friend?" Brian asked, finally noticing Danielle standing there sheepishly.

"This is my wingman, Danielle. Danielle, this is Brian, Matt, and Jimmy. My old friends from high school."

Danielle smiled and said hi to them, shaking each of their hands.
Then we all stood there smiling.

"I see you guys have added a few more tattoos since high school." I said.
But they had gotten more than a few. They all had full sleeves of random, colorful tattoos.

" yeah, well we're rockstars now so we have to dress the part." Brian informed.

"Wow, that's great! What's the band called again?" I asked.

"Avenged Sevenfold." Matt said.

I smiled even wider now. I listened to them often, and didn't even know it was them.

Brian pulled out a pack of Marlboro reds and handed me one, remembering my request. I took it, and allowed him to light it for me.
Then, he did something that I wasn't quite ready for yet. He turned away, then spoke.

"Hey Zack, look who it is!"