Status: Finished!

Better Than Me

The Invitation

Riley sighed, leaning back in her desk chair. It was four-thirty. She had thirty minutes left until she could go home and ease her loneliness with liquor. God, that's healthy, she thought sarcastically. But what else was there to look forward to?

Riley considered the almost-completed article on her laptop screen for a few seconds. She wasn't getting this done today. Her mind wasn't on it.

Glancing around for any sign of her boss, Riley surreptitiously slipped her cell out of her pocket. She wasn't surprised to see that she had a text message. She was always in touch with Andy or one of the girls.

The text was from Corinne and said "Check your event invitations on Facebook."

Riley frowned. Oookay? That was weird, even for Cori.

Riley saved her article and exited out of Microsoft Word. Calling up her Web browser, she went to Facebook and signed in. She ignored her notifications. Corinne had piqued her curiosity and her attention went straight to her Events.

"Hewitt-Trussville Class of 2002 Ten-Year Reunion."

The invitation had been sent to her by the only person from her graduating class, besides Corinne, that she had added on Facebook. The reunion was next week.

"Fuck me," Riley muttered, signing out of Facebook and snatching up her cell again. She scrolled through her list of contacts, selecting Corinne's number to call.

"We're old, Riley!" Corinne wailed dramatically upon answering.

"Shut up," Riley said, grinning.

"I'm serious, Riley," Corinne insisted. "We've been out of high school for ten years!"

Riley bit her lip, toying with a pen on her desk. "Do you want to go?"

"I don't know," Corinne replied. "I mean...we kinda hated everybody in our class."

Riley snickered. That was true. Their graduating class had consisted of an inordinate amount of male and female jocks. And even the freaks and geeks at Hewitt-Trussville came from wealthy families. Stuck-up freaks and geeks? An oxymoron, yet a reality in Riley and Corinne's high school world.

"Can you think of anyone we'd want to, um, reunite with?" Corinne questioned.

Riley began listing their former classmates in her head. She didn't exactly have fond memories with most of them, nothing that could drag her three-thousand miles across the country, to Trussville, Alabama. Then, she was hit with the recollection of a mischievous dark-haired, dark-eyed guy who had loved music as much as her and Corinne.

"David Lynam," she murmured.

"Oh, yeah," Corinne said. "I remember him. I wonder if he's still as cute."

"It's a possibility," Riley said. "After all, we have retained our good looks."

Corinne made a soft sound of assent.

"One person isn't enough incentive to go, though," Riley remarked.

"No," Corinne agreed.

Something about her voice sharpened Riley's attention. "What is it, Cori?"

"Nothing."

"Bullshit." Riley's lips parted in comprehension. "You want to go."

"Maybe a little," Corinne admitted.

"Why?"

"For one thing, it would be a distraction from the loneliness," Corinne said. "I don't know about you, but a silent, empty house gets to me."

Riley understood that all too well.

"And for another thing," Corinne said. "It would be fun to go back and show all those arrogant assholes that we've made something of our lives. We're living in Los Angeles! You're a music journalist, just like you always wanted to be. I'm a set designer and soon-to-be makeup artist. And we're dating two members of the Black Veil Brides!"

Riley could visualize Corinne's excited, eager expression and it brought a smile to her own face.

"It'll be just like the movies, Rile," Corinne said. "We walk in and show all the people who thought we were just freaks who wouldn't amount to anything that they were wrong."

"Cori, some of them probably already know," Riley said reasonably. "And the ones who don't...well, is it really worth flying three thousand miles just to give them the finger?"

"Yes," Corinne responded promptly, making Riley laugh. "We're not going out there just for the reunion, Riley. We can visit our families, too."

"I don't know, Cori..."

"It's a win-win situation, Riley. We have to go."

"Fine," Riley relented after a pause. "If I can take the time off from work."

Corinne snorted. "Riley, please. Colin isn't going to deny you anything. You make that magazine worth reading."

"Hmm. Could you maybe be a bit biased, seeing as we've been best friends since forever?"

"Who, me? No way! I'm not biased, I'm honest."

"Okay. I'll talk to him tomorrow. Right now, I'm going home!"

"Why don't you come over," Corinne suggested. "We can order Chinese takeout and watch movies."

"Deal. I'll see you in half an hour. Love you."

"Love you, too."

**********

Colin was more than happy to grant Riley's request. According to him, she had so much vacation time accumulated that he was about to have to make her use some of it.

"I only need three or four days off," Riley said.

"A week," Colin countered.

"A week?" Riley repeated. "But--"

"Go see your boyfriend while you're at it," Colin urged. "Or whatever it is you do to relax. You work too much."

"I earn my paycheck."

"I'm not complaining, Riley. I just think a break would do you some good. Starting next Thursday, I don't want to see you or hear from you for seven whole days. Got it?"

Riley nodded.

"Good. Now, I expect that review of the new Volbeat album on my desk this afternoon."

Riley left work at five-thirty, still unsure about a week-long vacation. She loved her job and often found herself bored during her off time, unless that time was being spent with Andy, of course. She had been relying on work to help keep her focus away from the empty house and Andy's absence. Seven days of freedom seemed like an eternity.

Riley had showered and changed into her pajamas by the time her cell rang, emitting Black Veil Brides' "Die For You" -- Andy's ring tone. She grabbed her cell from the bedside table on her way down to the kitchen. "Hey, you."

"Hi, babe. How are you?"

"Oh, ya know, missing this really amazing guy and wishing he was here."

"Really?"

"Yep."

"Is it someone I know?" Andy joked.

"No," Riley said playfully. "I was referring to my secret lover."

"I knew it. I'm gonna have to kick some ass."

Riley laughed. "That I'd love to see."

"I'm not typically violent, but if I knew it would turn you on, I could make an exception."

Riley flipped the lights on in the kitchen and padded to the refrigerator. "So, are y'all having the time of your lives yet?"

"Hell, no," Andy muttered, and Riley heard the flick of his lighter. "I've already walked in on Ashley and one willing victim, and I'm sure it won't be the last time it happens this tour. And Jake, Jinxx, and CC are really bitchy when they're not getting laid."

Riley opened the refrigerator. "I'm sure you're not exactly a ray of sunshine yourself."

"Bullshit! I'm always even-tempered."

"We both know that's a lie, Andy."

"Yeah, well...I miss you," he said a bit defensively.

"You may not have to for much longer."

"Why? Are you joining my band?"

Riley giggled, setting a pitcher of sweet tea on the counter and going to the cupboard for a glass. "No, you dork. I have a week off, starting next Thursday."

"Time off for good behavior?"

"Time off for my ten-year reunion."

There was a pause as Andy absorbed this. Riley was twenty-seven; she would be twenty-eight in August. She had graduated at the age of seventeen because of her birth date. Andy was only twenty-three. The gap in their ages wasn't really that wide, but occasionally, the difference was emphasized.

I've been out of high school for ten years, Riley thought in the silence. Andy graduated only five years ago. His parents had waited until he was six to put him in school.

"Colin insisted I take a full week and use the extra time to visit you," Riley said, filling her glass with tea. "I have a ton of vacation time saved up, apparently."

"I keep telling you that you can afford to miss a day here and there."

"I know." Riley stuck the pitcher of tea back in the refrigerator. "But I like work."

"That's because you're a freak," Andy said, his tone both teasing and affectionate.

"You can fuck yourself, Biersack."

"I can fuck myself? Hell, I don't have a choice until I'm back with you."

"Which, if you play your cards right, could be in less than two weeks."

"I like the sound of that."

Riley crossed the hall, entering the living room and flopping down on the sofa. "I figured you would."

"A class reunion," Andy said. "Hmm."

"What?"

"Are there any old boyfriends I should be worried about?"

Riley burst out laughing. "Are you serious? I didn't date in high school."

"Ever?"

"Nope. I was a weirdo, Andy. I had other things on my mind, like getting the hell out of Alabama."

"Thank God for that. If you'd stayed there, I never would have met you."

Riley smiled. "Yeah. Moving to California was probably the smartest thing I ever did."

"I agree. And the fact that there wasn't a guy begging you to stay in Alabama tells me that guys in Alabama are fucking idiots."

"That's sweet. I knew there was a reason I keep you around."

"Besides the fact that I'm a sex god?"

"And so modest."

"Damn! I am one hell of a man!"

"You really are," Riley murmured.

"I'd have to be to get someone like you." Someone shouted something in the background on Andy's end of the line. "Shit. Riley, I've gotta go."

"Okay."

"I'll talk to you tomorrow. I love you."

"Love you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
I got six comments, so here's the update. Keep it up, guys! I'm working on the seventh chapter right now, which means if y'all hit 5 or more comments again, I'll update again!

I know I mentioned it in the story description, but I just want to say again that I had to manipulate "facts" to make this story work...like Andy's age and when he supposedly started school. Also, I know some places have a reunion after only five years; however, here in Alabama, we have our first reunion after ten years, then it's every five years after that. Don't know why.

Special thanks to:

Vixyn Of Shadows
Forevergoth
TyMaeTrains
SabbyFreakShow
WompWompNotMyPeen
vampiress_666

Oh...and BIG news, guys! Today was my last official class day as an undergrad. As soon as I write one more paper and take a final on Friday, I will have my BA in English and Communication Arts. Woooooooh!