Status: Whenever I feel inspired so sorry if it doesn't get updated often.

Disgrace

The Task

“Ah, no my Queen,” I said, standing up into a bow as quickly as possible. I dare not look at her even though I knew I wasn’t guilty of anything.

I heard her footsteps come closer. “Stand up, peasant. Wain, Please watch the door while I talk to Lady Adalena here.

Lady Adalena? I am not a lady, I thought. Wain nodded his head and headed for the door. The Queen nodded to the bed and I sat down warily. The Queen’s eyes were dark and the lovingness I had always imagined there and thought I saw earlier had completely disappeared. I couldn’t read much deeper than that.

“Who sent you my dear? You couldn’t have purposely stepped in front of me like that. It is very unladylike and disrespectful to me. And after hearing about how one of my men have passed, I am quite suspicious of what you really want.” An accusatory tone had entered her voice about halfway through and it had made me quite uncomfortable.

I looked at The Queen and knew I had to tell her the truth. “I am sorry I stepped in front of you. In fact, My Queen, I had not meant to. I was simply not paying attention as my mind was wandering about other things, and I found myself in front of you so I said the first thing that came to mind. I do, however, wish to serve the kingdom if need be.”

The Queen smiled. “I knew there was a back story. Any who, since you are here now, my dear, I have a special task for you. You see, I never know of who I can trust and you telling me this proves that I can trust you. But I can’t always tell this easily. This is where your special task comes in,” she said, getting up from the bed and pacing the room. “There is someone targeting my guard, as you saw, and it is vital that I know who it is and dispose of them. It’s obviously a Schande at work here and I can’t let it go on. Anton is my fifth guard down this month and I don’t know how many more can pass before others begin to see the danger.”

She looked at me as if waiting for me to interject. “Um… My Queen, how am I to expose a Schande? Especially since I am guessing I am to keep my mission a secret from the rest?”

The Queen looked as if she expected this answer and simply replied, “You seem like a smart girl. You’ll figure it out. In the meantime, I shall excuse myself for I have work to do. And please… don’t get involved with any of my guard, including Wain. I would hate to see someone like you get hurt in all of this.” Without another word, The Queen walked out of the room, leaving me only with my thoughts.

How could I out a Schande? I guess I had done it with Derrick but he was willing to give me the information. Plus I didn't know the first thing about them! I laid my head in my hands and was already sighing with frustration.

I looked up just in time to see something go past the window. I instantly jumped up and looked to see what it was. Nothing was there. I searched the sky and even opened the window to see if I saw anything. Still nothing. “What in the Queens name..?”

I left the window but left it open just in case. Then I heard the slightest sound of a pebble hitting the window sill and once again I ran over and looked out but this time, I looked up. No sooner than he had left, the infamous Derrick was sitting on the ledge above my window, clinging on for dear life.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back! I haven't posted in forever and I so sorry this chapter is so short! I will start posting more often again and with longer chapters.