Meow, Meow

Three

Concern fills my head as Tiana and I sit patiently in the beige colored lobby.

Poor cat, I wonder what happened to it. It was in pretty bad shape. I just hope that it’s...

“I hope that kitty’s alright.” My cousin mumbles besides me, interrupting my train of thought.

I sigh heavily, looking down at her. Her head is bowed and her hands rest in lap. For once she’s not talking or annoying the crap out of me.

“Me too, little bug, me too.” I reach out and pat her on the head.

We continue to sit and wait on the doctor to come back out. And wait and wait. IT seems like forever. During which all I can think about is if that little orange cat is going to make it alright.

After awhile Tiana starts coming up with ideas of stuff for us to do to keep us occupied. I go along with her, needing something to keep my mind of things. These along last so long and her ideas run out.

We end up just sitting, staring off into space.

Soon my head starts to hurt. I knead my temples hoping that it’ll go away. It doesn’t. Groaning, I lean back against the cool glass behind me.

Please, cat, just hold on and be okay.

“Miss Ballentine?”

My eyes fly open and I stand up, anxiously gazing into the face of the blonde vetenarian. “Yes, ma’am?”

She must see distress in my actions because she leans in and wraps her arms around my shoulders and gives me a light squeeze.

“Don’t worry, she is going to be fine.” She reveals, smiling as she glance over at Tiana who has jumped up from her seat with a squeal.

I let out my held breath, flashing a smile of my own. “Thanks, Dr. Lewis.”

“It wasn’t my doing, it was all hers.” She says, letting me go from her embrace to shake her head. “She’s definitely a resilient little cat.”

The doctor motions for me to follow her off to the side, away from little ears.

She explains, “She had a broken leg, two cracked ribs, and internal bleeding. But we managed to fixed everything. Now, we just want to keep her for at least a week to monitor her.”

I nod. “Okay.”

The older women leads me back towards the door, finishing. “We’ll call when it’s time to pick her up.”

Tiana and I each give her a quick hug in thanks before we head out the door.

Along the ride back to my aunt and uncle’s, the little girl in the passenger seat is nearly bouncing off the walls, jumping up and down and squealing.

“Shut up, Tiana.” I snap, after several times of telling her nicely. “I know you’re happy but calm it down. Now.”

Lyrics trickle into the silence that fills up the car. They’re the only thing I hear the rest of the way.

As soon as I drop her off, I make for my own place, a tiny rental house.

Once inside I throw my things down and head towards my computer desk to search the web for all things cat and about how to take care of one.
♠ ♠ ♠
-_- 537