‹ Prequel: Dark Dance
Status: Active again! Though updates may be slow.

Dark Intent

Imprisonment

I headed down the hallway towards the kitchen. Late night cravings, plus I had to get the snacks for Kai and Leila, I lost the thumb war. With all our gossiping someone had to go. If I wasn’t pregnant I might’ve saw it as a bad thing but that way I got to choose what we ate.

Pulling open the fridge, I spotted three cans of Root Beer, which was delightful considering they were caffeine free. I was about to close the door when I spotted it, a jar of pickles. My tongue started salivating at thought of smothering them in peanut butter. Yummy. I grabbed the whole jar and sat it on the counter with the drinks. I shuffled through the cabinets and retrieved a jar of smooth peanut better, a thing of double stuffed ores’, a few bags of chips and some candy.

I turned around; dropped all my goody’s and nearly had a heart attack. Leaning against the wall was Cortez, on either side of him stood my personal guards. Smith and Derek were both emotionless, but Cortez looked irritated.

“You disobeyed my orders,” he said rubbing his forehead in indecision.

I glared at him, “I’m not some prisoner.”

“No but you’re my wife, and you are carrying our child. And at the rate you are going you’re going to get both of you killed.” He left the wall and walked around the island. “I’m just trying to protect you.” He tried to fold me into his arms but a dodged him. He clutched his fist letting out a growl of frustration.

“You lost the right to touch my after you hit me.” I was hoping to get some kind of reaction out of my guards but they just stood there.

“Well if you were a little supportive and truthful, like Isabella I wouldn’t have hit you,” he said bluntly. My eye twitched. Did he really just compare me to that bitch? Before I knew it my fist was balled up. I through my weight into my punch and felt my fist connect with his face.

This made the guards jump. I grabbed all the goody’s I could as Cortez stumbled back, groaning in pain. I fled the kitchen heading to the safety of Leila’s room.

“Damn it, stop her!” I heard Cortez shout. There were loud footsteps before I felt two large muscular arms grab me around the waist. I thrashed trying to get out of his hold, but all I did was drop all my goodies. I heard the pickle jar shatter before I was lifted off my feet and carried back into the kitchen.

Smith had a rag with ice wrapped in it pressed to Cortez’s face. “If you won't be a supportive wife and do as I say then you will be a prisoner until you learn how to behave,” he commanded in a stormy voice. He winced as he took the ice from Derek and straightened. “Smith take her to the room joined with mine and make sure any possible way in or out is secure and locked.” I felt Smith nod then he took me from the room. “Derek gather all this junk food and take it to Leila’s room tell them Judith isn’t feeling good.” That was the last thing I heard before the kitchen was out of hearing range.

I struggled all the way to the room. I even tried to shout, but Smith shifted me in his arms so he could restrain me and shut me up. He gently through me onto the bed and quickly checked the room. Before I could untangle myself from the blankets and sheets he had already left the room.

I rushed to the window, instead of having a metal frame it was wood. I would need a sludge hammer to break that. I checked all other possible exits, and to my delight they were wood to. How long had Cortez been planning this?

I climbed into bed with nothing else to do; I would have to just wait until morning to get out of this retched room.

***

I slowly came to. I stretched and arched into the warmth at my back, snuggling into it. Then I felt two arms tighten around my waist and warm breath on my neck. My eyes shot open as my brain caught up with my body. I jerked my body away and rolled onto the floor.

“Judith!” Cortez shouted.

“What…Why are you here?” I shouted.

“I’m your husband. I have a right.” He acted as if nothing happened last night. “I needed to hold you.” I took a step back, he is deranged.

“Are you on something?” he slowly sat up, revealing his black and blue face. Instead of having one black eye, he had two. I must’ve hit his noise in just the right spot, cause he had two black eyes. I tried to hide the smirk forming on my face. He looked like a raccoon.

“No, I’m just tired of being without you and fighting all the time.” He tried to fold me into his arms again, but that wasn’t happening. “Damn it Judith, why are you being so difficult? I’m sorry alright, I didn’t mean to hit you, just Isabella never acted like that. She has more class.” I lunged at him, grabbing him by the throat.

“I’m not Isabella!” I shrieked, squeezing my hands tighter against his throat. His expression darkens and he pushed my off of him.

“No you’re not, and until you learn to be, you’re not leaving this room.” I laid there with him straddling me excepting him to hit me, but all he did was caress my cheek. I turned away from him. “I love you, so stop fighting me. Isabella would never act like this.” I turned to glare at him when I saw something in his hairline by his neck. It looked like a black line, but I couldn’t see the rest of it as he got up and walked to his door.

“I’m not some prisoner,” I shouted as he opened the door leading to his room.

“You are until you stop fighting me, my queen,” he said in endearment then he was gone, shutting me into my cell.

***

Hours seemed to pass as I laid in boredom on the bed. I wonder if Kai and Leila are looking for me? I hope they’re not too worried. What was with Cortez’s attitude? He seemed freaking crazy? He must’ve lost his mind. He is nothing like the man I married.

I slammed my hands against the bed, trying to quiet my stomach. I never did get my pickles and peanut butter. I sat up and decided to take my mind off of my imprisonment. I grabbed the remote and clicked the T.V on.

“Once again here is a recap from the report from King Cortez and his advisors in the palace earlier today. ' We would like to announce that you’re Queen and my lovely wife is with child. ' There was a loud roar of approval. Cortez waved his arm to quite the crowd. ' We would also like to announce that with the growing aggression from our neighboring country that we keep the our Queen safe. If you hear of any threats on her life or happen to see her please-

I shut off the T.V and chucked the remote at the wall. Are they stupid? Are they trying to get me killed? I fell back against the bed then jerked forward as I felt a sharp pain in my arm. I rubbed my arm and examined it. It throbbed with pain and the feeling kept spreading. I must be tired. I lay back again and jerked forward again. I reached behind me and picked up… a twig . I swear I think this thing is following me.

“I am.” I stared at the twig.

“Did you just talk?”

“Yes.” I shrieked and through it against the wall. I stared at it, it just laid there lifeless like. My eyes bulged as it started to grow and reshape. Standing six feet and growing. Was it a man, wait a tree. I don’t know maybe both. It had two trunk legs with root toes, crisscrossing its body were dark vines, it arms were branches with mossy fingers. His eyes were huge, his mouth reminded me of a hollow in a tree, and his hair was dreadlocks of leaves and vines.

“What are you?” I said feeling faint.

“A tree walker. Isn’t it obvious?”

“I feel like I’m going to die of fright,” I said really not feeling well.

“You’ve been poisoned, you’re going to die.” My eyes rolled and I blacked out.