Gone and Never Coming Back

Gone: Chapter Three

Aaliyah

Who ever said look on the brighter side, has never been on mine. Who ever said that he’ll get his, never felt like this.

Cayden hated taking the bus but it had to be done. My car wasn’t working and I had no spare money to be fixing it right now.

“Do we have to?” He asked holding his stomach. “It makes me all sick.”

I frowned. “Cay it’s only for a little while. You have to get to school right?” I asked trying to smile.

“Can we asked Auntie Jada to take us or something? I really really really don’t like the bus.”

I pulled his book bag on his back and bent down fixing his collar and his hat with a soft smile trying to butter him up.

“Cayden do it for me please?”

He crossed his arms and stared at me with a hard glare. He was just like Chris, too much like Chris. Quick and fiery.

I heard a knock at the door and gripped his chin before standing and answering it. It was Jada standing there on the phone, probably with her latest boyfriend.

“Hey Cayden.” She said hanging up the phone and kissing his cheeks. “Why ain’t this boy in school? It’s almost 8:30.”

I huffed. “My car broke down.”

“Well you are in luck. My boyfriend got a car shop. He a real good Mechanic and when I say he got racks he got racks.”

“I can’t afford to fix my car right now.” I mumbled.

“I got you girl!”

I had met Jada about three years ago and we had became best friends. She was always there for me no matter what and kind of helped me get over Chris.

I hugged her. “How many boyfriends you got heifer?” I said laughing.

“Only one! I really really really like this one.”

“You sound just like Cay with all them really’s bitch.” I smiled guiding Cayden out the door and hitting the lights.

- - -

“So how did your March 12th go?” She asked curiously driving down the high way cruising to Cayden’s school.

“It was usual.” I mumbled.

“Look on the brighter side you have a beautiful son! I can’t even have kids.. You don’t need that nigga he gone get his.”

I rolled my eyes and nodded. People always said that to me like it would make a difference. I was sick of being sick and tired and if Chris was here I’d probably have some type of help.

“See you Cayden!” Jade said hitting the locks as if the four year old was just going to hop out of the car and go.

“I gotta walk him in you nut.” I said hopping out of the car and opening the passenger door to walk him inside of the school.

He skipped along the side walk not trying to step on the cracks as if the myth about breaking your mothers back was true.

“Love you Cay.”

Chris/Cameron

I eyed Jada as she entered the shop with a huge smile. She was cool to hang around with and shit but I had Aaliyah to think about these days.

“Hey babe?” She said wrapping her arms around me.

I smiled kissing her forehead. “Where your friend at? I need to ask her whats the damages on her car and shit.”

“She should be coming in.. The tow truck is bringing her car over.”

Aaliyah walked inside of the shop and I smiled widely. I guess she had taken me up on my offer.

“Leah!” Jada called. “There she is right there.”

My heart thumped in my chest and I knew I had fucked up being with Jada. “Aye Ma.” I called.

Aaliyah looked up at me and her eyes grew big. “You’re the guy from yesterday.”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

Jada looked back in forth from Aaliyah to me. “Ya’ll know each other?”

“We met briefly.. He gave me a jump.” Aaliyah mumbled.

“And I offered you a free job on your car.” I said laughing. “Where that piece of shit at?” I asked.

“Cameron!” Jada said pushing me. “Don’t be so rude.”

Aaliyah giggled a bit. “It’s out front.”

Jada eyed us. “Take care of it Cameron, and put it on my card.” She said handing me her Visa.

“I got this.”

She kissed my cheek. “Such a sweet heart.”

- - -

Aaliyah eyed me from the corner as I bent down into the top of the car with my wrench touching up things here first.

“You seem happier today.” I said loud enough for her to hear.

“Happier?” She asked.

“Well not exactly happy, but you seem better than yesterday.” I laughed. “I guess you’re naturally angry.”

She sighed. “I guess I am.”

“Don’t take it the wrong way.. I’m just playing.” I offered. “So that was your son yesterday?”

“Yes.” She muttered.

“Cute kid, who does he look like?”

She laughed. “Is this 21 questions or something?”

“Nope it 21 questions times 3.” I laughed sitting up.

She smiled at me lightly. “To answer your question he looks like his father.”

“You seem pretty single to me.. No nigga should leave his bitch out like that with a fucked car and all.” I said softly.

I had left her out in the rain so I had no room to talk but I just wanted to figure out if she was seeing anyone or not.

She rolled her eyes. “No nigga should call a real woman a bitch. The only B word a man should call a woman is beautiful. And I don’t need any man to help raise my son. I learned that already.”

I bit my lip. “Sorry..” I mumbled.

“Could you fix my car?” I asked. “I’m missing work and you wanna talk and stuff.”

I nodded. “Sure thing.. Aaliyah.”

She eyed me suspiciously and walked out of the shop and took a seat on the curb looking at the sky curiously.

“Are you up there?” She whispered.

I ran four fingers across my chest before going back to work.

I have to tell her.