The Bounty

The Promise

1864

Stefan smiled lovingly down at the pale beauty lying beside him. Her coppery red locks seemed to flow endlessly over the white satin pillow and spill onto his own, brushing against his cheek as she shifted on her side of the mattress.

Jane.

It was all he knew of her other than the countless other mediocre facts she had so playfully shared with him over the last couple of days. She hated chocolate, loved the smell of roses, could handle a gun quite well for a woman, and loved to laugh among reading and music. She was unlike any other woman in the world, even Katherine, and Stefan was certain he was genuinly in love this time.

Stefan smiled, gently taking a lock of Jane's hair and brushed the tip of her nose. Her tiny pink lips curled into a smile before she opened her eyes and rolled over.

"Good morning." Stefan whispered, leaning down to kiss the tip of her nose. Jane yawned, pulling the blankets higher up over her chest.

"Good mor-" She stopped, sitting upright unaturally fast, or so Stefan thought. "What time is it? Stefan! You shouldn't be here, oh no." Jane jumped out of bed, however, Stefan did not. Sitting up, he tried to contain his laughter as she ran around the room gathering up his clothes, especially as she was completely nude.

"It can't be any later than six." He assured her, crossing his arms over his legs. Jane looked up, flabbergasted and tossed Stefan his shoes.

"Mrs. Lockwood wakes up at seven every morning." She stated, "If you're here when she wakes up, heaven knows what she'll do." Tilting his head to the side, Stefan opened his arms to her. Semi-reluctantly, Jane crawled across the bed to lay in Stefan's arms.

Never had she felt this way about someone. She was in love, and for her being in love was dangerous. Especially if Klaus were to find out. Not only had she strayed away from her job, she'd been fooling around with both Stefan and Damon Salvatore only, it had been more than just fooling around to Jane. And neither brother could know.

"I want to go with you." Jane smiled, tracing the lines of Stefan's stomach with her index finger. "Jane," Stefan gently lifted her face so that she could see the seriousness in his own, "I love you." Jane sighed, lifting herself upright.

"Stefan, I've told you already-"

"I'll go with you." The last thing she wanted either of them, Stefan or Damon, to know was her true self. She would protect them from the truth if it cost her life but, they could never know that she was a vampire. Jane had explained already that she needed to leave Mystic Falls in a few months, she was to return to her life in Texas and could never see them again. She was in Mystic Falls on business, and that was all.

"Stefan," Jane gazed into his eyes and hated the sadness that was intensified because of what she was. "I love you, but I can not be with you." Stefan looked away, placing his hands over Jane's. "I wish you could understand, you mustn't attach yourself to me." There was a lingering silence before Stefan leaned in to kiss her. The gentle passion she so loved about him, nearly overcame her before she was able to pull back.

"Promise me something." She managed to whisper.

"Anything."

"Do not trust Katherine Pierce." The seriousness in Jane's voice alarmed Stefan. Katherine was very seductive, already had she taken him but, Stefan was certain no one else knew but Emily. Jane's face remained unaltered.

"I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, here is chapter two because chapter one was so terribly short. Feedback is greatly appreciated!