Status: hiatus

My Somebody

Right Here

Athena gently runs her thumb over Sidney’s hand.

“Sidney,” a nurse pokes her head out of a barely open door.

She squeezes his hand encouragingly. The words barely leave her lips, “I love you, Sid.”

Leaning toward her, Sidney presses his lips against Athena’s temple. His lips linger for a moment before he rises from his seat, leaving Athena’s hand behind in the process.

Athena takes her hands back, intertwining her own fingers and resting her hands in her lap. She keeps her eyes on Sidney’s back until the door closes behind him, separating them.

As soon as Sidney is out of the waiting room, Athena pulls her phone out of her bag and rests her hands in her lap again. Her finger slides across the phone’s screen, allowing the device to illuminate.

The number over the envelope in the upper left hand corner of her phone’s screen now reads 38. Max, Cheryl, Melissa, Jared, Tanya, and Jordan’s names scroll up the screen as Athena drags her thumb up the screen.

“I really don’t feel like talking to any of you right now,” Athena mutters, shaking her head.

Another text message rolls in, re-illuminating the dim phone.

Is everything OK?

Athena quickly replies, He just went back. I have no idea, honestly.

Care to explain what happened exactly?

He got hit, twice, and his head hasn't stopped hurting since.

Your boyfriend? How did he get hit?

Athena's fingers rest less than an inch above her phone's screen. Shit, she shakes her head lightly. He was playing hockey... I'll give you more details later.

Another text message rolls in: Ma belle, I'm getting worried. Both you and Sid haven't replied to anyone. Call me ASAP.

We're at the Dr's right now, Max. I'll call or text you when I know more, ok? No smiley face. No X's or O's.

Athena sinks back into the uncomfortable waiting room chair, inhaling deeply.

-


Not a single word had escaped the lips of either Athena or Sidney since walking out of the doctor's office.

Sitting in the driver's seat of the Mercedes, Athena lets the warm air blow out of the vents for a moment before looking over at Sidney. Her hands remain on the steering wheel, and her head is resting back against the seat.

Sidney's arms are crossed and he is staring out of his window, much a like a young child who has been refused a trip to the park by their parent.

Hesitantly, Athena takes her hands off of the wheel and slowly rests her right hand on Sidney's tense leg.

Sidney doesn't move. He does not even acknowledge Athena's gesture.

With a sigh, Athena takes her hand back and puts the car in reverse.

Silence laces the drive home.

Athena glances over, at every stop light, to make sure that Sidney has not fallen asleep or disappear. She does not even bother to try and break the silence, or offer him comfort.

He sits in the same position -- arms crossed, with half of his back facing her.

It seems like, just moments later, she is putting the vehicle in park next to Sidney's Range Rover in the parking garage.

Sidney does not storm out of the vehicle this time, though. He exits slowly, waiting for Athena by the trunk of the vehicle.

Pressing the button on her keypad, Athena tucks her keys into the pocket of her jeans. She casually slips her hand into Sidney's, lifting her sunglasses up onto the top of her head as she begins to move them closer to the elevator. "Have you thought about what you want for brunch yet?"

Sidney simply shakes his head, barely squeezing Athena's hand when the elevator doors pull open.

The couple walks inside, and Athena quickly presses the familiar button that will take them to their floor. She waits until the doors are closed to speak again, "Are you okay, Sid?"

He slowly takes his hand back, taking his sunglasses off.

Athena quickly takes them for him, dropping them in her purse. She watches him rub his eyes with the palms of his hands. The edges of her mouth gravitate down when he drops his hands.

"I just," he shakes his head, his swollen, hazel eyes glazing over again. "I dunno."

"Sidney," Athena speaks quietly, shaking her head. "Everything's going to be fine."

He shakes his head again, sniffling loudly. "Don't say that, okay? Just... don't."

Silently stepping closer to him, Athena slowly stands on the tips of her toes and wraps her arms around his neck. She clenches her eyes shut when he slowly wraps his own arms around her waist.

Sidney releases an unsteady breath, before burying his head in the crook of Athena's neck.

Gently rubbing her left hand on Sidney's back, Athena rests her right hand on the back of Sidney's neck.

What can I say to him, she closes her eyes again, allowing her mind to race, as she continues to rub his tense, solid shoulders. That isn't 'it's gonna be okay'?

Sidney is silent, aside of his abnormal breathing into Athena's neck.

Athena gently pulls herself back, taking Sidney's hot, damp, face in her hands. She swallows the lump rising in her throat, attempting to ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach. "Whatever happens," she shakes her head, feeling her own eyes begin to burn with tears, "I'm right here, Sid."