Status: Complete (24/9/12)

Can You Be the One to Save Me?

Chapter 2

Ales sat in his room, staring at a wall. The doctor had just called and told him that he had found a cat for him.
‘Almost a week would be needed for training and then he’s mine’ thought Alex ‘Another living thing. Living in my house.’ Alex suddenly doubted this idea.

##

The doctor stood in his office. There sat Zack on the floor in front of him. He sat tall and proud on the floor, completely unbothered by the way that the doctor was looking at him. He had spent the last week being trained. Leaning emergency procedures and phone numbers in case Alex had an attack. All that was left to do was to wait for Alex to show up.

Half an hour later and the doctor was considering just taking Zack over to Alex’s house.
“You’ll Have to work on his time management” muttered the doctor to Zack who just nodded before he tilted his head slightly towards the door before a soft knock was heard.

“Finally” muttered the doctor before moving to the door and opening it.
“Alex” he greeted, allowing the younger man room to enter the room
“Doctor” replied Alex, walking into the room and freezing when he spotted Zack “Is This?” he trailed off
“Alex, this is Zack” Introduced the doctor, watching the patients reactions carefully.

Alex just watched the cat carefully before standing in front of him and holding his right hand out in front of Zack.

The cat looked at it for a moment before nudging it with his nose and the doctor silently let out a breath that he didn’t know he had been holding in as Alex ran his hand through Zack’s short hair.
He turned to face the doctor “I don’t know if I can do this” he said and Zack and the doctor both looked at him, shocked.

“Why not Alex?” asked the doctor
“Because” said Alex “I can barely look after myself, let alone another living thing”

Zack pressed his side into Alex’s leg and looked up at him. Alex looked over at the doctor with a confused expression, no idea what the hybrid animal was trying to tell him.
The cat sat back down on his heels and looked up at Alex.

“You wouldn’t need to look after me” he said quietly “That’s why I’m considered to be one of the most ideal pets. I can help look after you”
Alex just looked down at the cat, a torn expression on his face and the doctor could see his resolve crumbling slowly.

“Alex” said the doctor “Think of it this way. Zack will be your cuddle buddy, your friend, someone to talk to who won’t judge you and he can stay with you for as long as you want. He doesn’t even have to leave you if you don’t want him to”
‘Hopefully he can keep you out of trouble too’ he thought

Alex looked down at the cat “Fine” he grumbled “But only because I know that it’ll keep my parents off of my back and I know that Rian’s been dying to meet one” The doctors only response was a big smile.

Alex looked down at Zack “I’m warning you now” he said “I cannot cook at all”
“Don’t worry” responded Zack “I know how to”

#

An hour later and Alex and Zack were sitting in Alex's small apartment. Alex was sitting on the couch and Zack on the floor. Alex got up after a while and hit play on whatever CD was in his player. He grabbed a bottle of water before sitting down again.

"Come up here" He whispered to Zack patting the spot on the couch next to him and Zack looked at him curiously "I don't like it. You sitting down there and me up here. I'm not above you."
Zack climbed up onto the couch next to him and cuddled into Alex's side which made Alex relax slightly. He likes having physical comfort with other people and hybrid animals as well it seemed.

They sat there for a while, listening to music softly and getting used to each others company. Before long Zack had to use the bathroom, He whined softly at Alex who just looked at him blankly. Zack whined again louder this time and Alex started viably freaking out. That's not what Zack wanted at all. Zack took a deep breath and lightly touched his throat trying to keep Alex calm and hint at the order that Zack wanted to hear.

"Oh" said Alex relieved "Go ahead and while we're at it, never do that again ok? I thought you were dying"
Zack smiled softly in apology and nudged his head against Alex's shoulder "Bathroom?"
"Straight down there" said Alex pointing to a corridor just past the kitchen "on your right"
Zack nodded before quietly getting up and leaving the room.

#

The evening passed uneventfully until later that night. Alex was asleep in his bed (which he had told Zack that he didn't mind sharing but Zack had refused stating that he was ok on his much smaller bed on the floor) and was tossing and turning. Obviously having a nightmare.

Zack was sitting up in his bed, unsure of what to do. Would it pass? Or would his new owner need his help? He hadn't been told how severe his new owners attacks were, only how to keep him stable enough until the doctor or anyone else got there.

Zack decided that the nightmare had gone on long enough. He climbed into the bed behind his owner and wrapped his arms around the smaller chest, holding him in place before he started to purr. It started in his chest, a deep rumble that made his body hum softly. He hoped his new owner found it comforting, the doctor had told him that he might.

Not long after he could tell that Alex had woken up because he tried to dig his nails into his forearm, Zack just hummed again, reminding the smaller boy of his presence and trying to calm him down before pulling Alex's arms away from each other. A few moments passed, the only sounds were Alex's sharp breathing as he tried to get it under control and Zack's quiet purr.

Alex turned to face him but not moving out of his arms completely, comforted by the presence of the other. He let out a small whisper of "Thanks" his voice hoarse and Zack just looked at him with wide eyes.
"Maybe you should just sleep here from now on" Said Alex before yawning and making himself completely comfortable next to the cat. Well, the doctor did say that he was Alex's cuddle buddy.

Zack just wrapped his arms tightly around his owner and smiled. He had done his job, he was taking care of Alex and maybe, Alex was starting to let him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here's chapter two!
Thank you to all who read the last chapter :)

Please remember to comment! The first person who does gets to choose a pairing/prompt for a one-shot that I will write just for them! (Hopefully that will convince you to comment!)

Chapter Three coming soon!