Sequel: Comes the Light
Status: Complete. Thank you all for commenting, recommending, and subscribing! ^_^

From the Darkness

Chapter One

I stood at the edge, watching the ground below. The trees rustled when the wind blew through. I was watching the young girl below, knowing what is going to happen. I, by the Fates, could not interfere. This was suppose to happen.

A chill rolled down my spine as I felt him coming. I could disappear, but I didn't. I stood there, watching under Helios for the man to come from the ground. He would be here any moment. The ground rumbled, trembling as something forced the dirt in the fields to shift and pull away in chasms to allow the golden chariot pulled by four shadow horses to come out.

Their hooves drummed against the ground as they jerk their heads back and forth, letting out shrill wails as their master pulled them to a stop. A man, tall and draped in darkness itself, stood in the light, not even minding the bright rays. I knew this man. This man was Hades, the ruler of the Underworld. Ruler of Tartarus and all the realms beneath. I sighed, feeling as if I should be doing something, but I can't. It would go against everything the Fates had set forth, looking into the future. I was tied to them since my birth. Fates, older than any god or goddess, were someone you did not want to cross.

The stagnant breeze seemed to disappear. All noise stopped and quieted. The quietus scenery didn't move nor become active. Only the chariot and Hades seemed to move. Persephone, the young and naïve girl, stood there, not doing anything. I wanted to just shout at her, tell her to move or get out of there. But Hades was there too fast. He stared at the blond haired girl, looking her from head to toe. He said something, but I couldn't see his lips nor could I hear it. Persephone stood there a moment longer as Hades out stretched his hand, waiting for her to do the next move.

This wasn't to the Fates' orders!

I took a step forward, ready to step in when I realize that I didn't need to. This was their choice and the outcome would be the same. Persephone reached out, placing her hand in his hand, allowing him to lead her to the chariot. I felt a grim expression settle on my features. Hades wrapped an arm around the scared and apprehensive Persephone, the goddess of the changing of seasons, daughter of Demeter. I stood there as he cracked the whip, lurching forward and heading back into the chasm, disappearing from the light of day. The dirt and earth spewed forth, covering the chasms until it looked as it did before.

A familiar feeling prickled in the back of my mind, slowly sweeping through in a form of a voice. “You have done well,” a voice, older and frail said. It grated against my ears as I cringed from it, not liking it at all.

“Come back to us, Hekate.” Sneering at the thought, I did as I was told, disappearing back to the realm of the Fates. Three old women were before me, stiff with age and almost never moving at all. Only their hands and arms moved.

Klotho—the spinner—worked with the thread of life, spinning it around and around for each being. She was hunched over a basket of wool waiting to be spun. Lakhesis—the one that allotted the fate of all men—stood at her position on the night sky, showing all horoscope signs. She pointed to everything that would pertain to that person with a staff. She was the tallest of the three. Atropos—the one that cut the thread—knelt by each thread, keeping track of every cut that needed to be made.

The Fates had no ruling over gods or goddesses, but they did when it pertained to the world of man. This was one of those things. I was connected and forced to live by their ruling. I, being a titanide turn goddess, was ruled by more than what the gods were. Titans were closer with the fates before they were actual goddesses, until Zeus slew them, locking them deep within Tartarus. The only reason I was spared was because I helped him. I turned against my own parent to see that the gods rule. But many of the titanides were neutral through the war, but I was still a traitor.

I didn't know if that was the right decision, but now I was a traitor to my blood, and I was nothing more than a goddess that no one associated with.

They watched me with dead, gray eyes. It still frightened me to this day, but I didn't show it. I learned from long ago never to show fear to them. They would use it against you.

“Hekate,” Klotho wheezed, working the wool into long strands of black thread with her ghostly pale fingers.

“We have seen the future,” Atropos hissed, snipping another thread as if it is nothing, but to them I bet it was. It was something that they do for all eternity, and no one could stop them. Older and far more powerful forces were at work with the Moirai.

“You will lead Demeter to Persephone-” Lakhesis choked. Her arms were covered with long black sleeves of her monochiton. Her zone was tied just under her breasts.

“By the fourth day!” Klotho handed the thread to her sister, Lakhesis. When none of the others said another word, Klotho continued. “Her daughter will have eaten food of the Underworld.”

“She will have to stay two seasons of the year,” Atropos hissed sharply as her gaze snapped to Klotho. “You will not interfere.”

I didn't want that to happen, but I was bound to their rulings. I bowed before walking off, heading towards the entrance to my home. The home I built after the Great War. It was a simple building with a roof atop carved columns and walls inside. I was proud of it even when others thought it didn't fit a goddess. What do they know?

The room inside held my bedroom and bath. No one could take my bath away. I was addicted to that thing. It felt so good to soak in the warm water and wash the dirt away. Even gods got dirty, but not like the humans below. We only got a gentle sheen, nothing like the dirt that caked many humans.

I walked to my chest of clothes. It held all my clothes. I sat down on the one chair, stone and carved. It had a symbol etched into the top, my symbol. It was three moons, crescents on either side of a new moon.

My hair was up in a loose and messy swirl. I pulled it free, letting it fall down my shoulders. The long black tresses curled, nearly tangling with themselves. I made sure to fix that every so often. I didn't want any of the goddesses bugging me about it or even commenting about it. They had enough to talk about with me. If I was in the room, they would point out something about me. I was always center of attention, especially with my pale appearance. I wasn't as pale as Hades, but most said I was close. I never tanned, not that I really wanted to. I could magically turn my skin a different color, but I chose not to. I saw no point. My appearance showed what I ruled. I was the goddess of the new moon. But I was goddess of many things, things that most didn't want to associate with.

“I want a bath,” I muttered, standing up and heading to the large inlaid bath. I had asked Hephaestus to build a hearth to heat the tub. Fire and me didn't get along well. My magic didn't work with the elements. Only necromancy did I have any sort of control over. Magic wasn't limited to elements and neither was mine. Besides the elements were ruled by others. Water—Poseidon and his wife Amphitrite. Air—Hera and her husband Zeus. Earth—Gaia with a few others. Fire—Hephaestus.

Slipping off my dress, blue and to the floor, I stepped into the water, relishing the warmth of it. I washed away the light sheen, leaving it all in the water to disappear in a moment. The water rippled as I moved, sinking into the water and sitting on the ledge just for sitting. I sighed releasing all of the pent up frustration that had built up during the day. Everything about today was horrible. I had to watch a young goddess get abducted in the loosest sense of the word all because the fates said I had to. I had to follow their rulings, all because I was the goddess of crossroads in every sense.

I got out, drying myself off before slipping into a robe. The golden rope sat just under my breasts with the extra hanging down to my knees. The ends were tied into knots. The robe was green in color and reached down to my ankles. I stuffed my feet into my sandals. It wrapped up nearly to my knee. Walking away from the bath, I walked to the doorway knowing I needed to finish some things with some of the other gods; Zeus mainly.

Appearing there in just a moment, I stood outside the golden hall where Hera and Zeus resided together. Each had their own hall, but this one was both of theirs. The small Hermes called my arrival with his echoing voice. The doors opened almost instantly. I stepped inside, walking towards the two sitting in their thrones. Hera, a beauty with long dark brown hair and a golden crown, stared down at me with indifferent eyes. She didn't like me nor did she hate me. She thought of me as just another goddess running around in her realm. I would have put her in her place, showing that I am more than a mere goddess. But I didn't because I didn't want to cause any rifts.

“You came,” Zeus stated, his voice boomed around in the large hall. This was where all the gods met. This hall was the Great Hall. “I hope you have good news about Persephone.” I felt the weight of my burden on my shoulders. I couldn't tell him, not yet.

“I do not.” He sighed heavily, knowing how Demeter was sending the land to its death. Her anger and sadness ravished the fields and flooded rivers. Persephone was to become the goddess of the changing of seasons. She was the one to usher in change, but Demeter was killing the world. There would be nothing left. “I am afraid I do not bring anything good.”

Hera stood from her throne of gold, walking down the steps to stand before me. She was shorter than me, only by half a hand. “I know you are keeping something from us.”

I couldn't tell them. I wasn't allowed to, not yet. “Hera,” Zeus warned, glaring at his wife's back. His large hands clenching his white marble throne with gold inlaid at the top. His golden eyes stared at his wife, daring her to continue. Hera with her electric blue eyes turned towards her husband. “Hekate, when you learn something, tell us.” I nodded. Heading out, I knew I was dismissed.

Walking to the field where Persephone was taken, I stood in the middle of the field, looking down at the ground. It appeared the same as always, but I could feel it. The path was here and still connected. I just didn't know how to open the path, at least not yet. “Hekate,” an echoing voice called down to me. It was Helios. He sat in the sky for all of the day before his counterpart, his sister, Selene would come up, taking his spot.

I turned my head up, closing my eyes, preparing to look upon Helios, the brightest titan around. Animals made their usual noises around me. I listened, waiting a moment longer. Opening my eyes, I stared at the bright, glowing orb that Helios resided in. “You know what happened,” he stated, not even questioning if I did or not. “I, the watcher of all, saw you.” I stared up at him, watching as he slowly appeared from the orb, coming down towards me. “Your fate is a terrible one.” He was one of the few male titans left. No matter what, he would understand my predicament. “But Hekate,” Helios appeared before me, standing with his crown of sunlight and in a white chiton, knee length cloth that hung on only one shoulder.

“I was watching. As per the Moirai's orders.” Helios nodded, turning his head. I knew I could trust him. I could tell him. The fates ruled him partly as well. I was closer because I was the goddess of crossroads. As was my mother Asteria, the goddess of nocturnal rites. She even had a few prophecies at night as well, which was the Fates' realm.

“Aye.”

“I will tell them. I will even show Demeter to her daughter.” Helios nodded, knowing I knew the way down into the Underworld. Or at least could figure it out.

“I can help. When they come to me, as they inevitably will, I will tell them you have found Persephone and will lead Demeter there.” I knew he was taking a risk in not telling the whole truth to Zeus and Demeter. I bowed to him, showing just how much I appreciated this. He ducked his head slightly before disappearing back into the glowing orb of the sun above. I looked up at him, smiling softly.

Spinning on my heel, I walked away back to my home. I needed to think about what I had to do. About what I needed to do. Having to lead Demeter to her daughter on the fourth day, I knew I had to find out how she was down in the Underworld. All the creatures in the service of Hades could scare anyone out of their minds. I hoped Persephone didn't cave and that Hades kept the creatures away from her.

All I needed to do now, was check in on her.

With that in mind, I headed to the entrance to the realm below. The realm of the dead and ruled by Hades. I, now, faced him and all his power in the Underworld.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is something that's been rattling around in my mind for some time. I figured I should do something with it. I hoped this was enjoyable to read. Please comment and/or subscribe. Or recommend.

This is going to be a side project and will not be updated all that often. Just when inspiration hits. Or if people really like this and want me to update it faster. :)

Thank you for reading, I really appreciate it. And excuse any mistakes, I will try to edit them out over time or if you feel helpful and want to tell me where they are, that is fine as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to the Greek Pantheon in this story.