Sequel: Comes the Light
Status: Complete. Thank you all for commenting, recommending, and subscribing! ^_^

From the Darkness

Chapter Six

I stood at my bedside, staring at the far wall. As I stood there, I felt naked, bare to the world. The peplos I had on seemed as if it was nonexistent. My soul was squashed into a small butterfly inside of me. My whole body hurt. But slowly a numbness settled. My limbs started first and then my chest. I could barely feel my heart pounding. Even that started to go.

Galinthias stood on her two hind-legs before pawing at my hip. It startled me. All the feeling within my limbs came back as I turned to look at her. She stared up at me, worriment in her eyes. And I didn't know what to tell her. I was shocked and didn't know what to do. Everything was wrong. This was not how things worked.

I was a goddess. A titanide!

Anger flooded every vein in my body. I was angry more at myself than anything. But some of it was directed at the Moirai. They were the ones that made this able to happen. They set this into motion.

“I am sorry, Galinthias. I can not say much at this time.” She retreated and looked curiously at at me. I knew she wanted answers, but I couldn't give them to her. Not now. I nearly wanted to tear my hair out at keeping this a secret.

But as of right now, I had a job to do.

=*=


I appeared at Olympus. The mountain where the Olympians stayed. The twelve main ones and others that served them. Then there were other lesser gods that stayed upon the mountain top. Persephone was staying with Demeter for the time being.

But I couldn't sense them. They didn't seem to be in there. But I knocked all the same. The sounded echoed against the wood. The trees encircling her home swayed as if in a gentle breeze, but there was none. Each one groaned before there was silence. No one came to the door.

Sighing heavily, I went to go find them whether that was to be on the other side of Gaia or not. Appearing on the ground at the foot of Mount Olympus, I walked. No mortal could see me as I traveled their roads, dirt covered and with rocks waiting to trip an weary traveler. I strolled swiftly with my long gait down the road to the nearest town.

It didn't take me long, especially with my magic. I was walking through the town just past breakfast. There weren't any people around outside. Most were eating and with friends and family. And I did not want to interrupt them. So I continued on. I needed to find Persephone before everything fell apart.

I found Persephone with Artemis and Athena. Demeter was just a bit a ways, trying to give her daughter room, but at the same time watching her. She didn't have the gift of sight, not mirror, or any way to do so. Demeter relied upon others to do the looking.

Standing in the field, looking on, I tried to figure out a way to approach them. The three seemed to be having just a good time, and I didn't want to interrupt. But by the Fates, I had to.

“Hekate!” a familiar voice called. It was deeper than most female voices, but smoother. Artemis. “Come over here!” she shouted, waving her hand in the air. I stared at her for a moment before realizing she was asking me to join them. Athena smiled, but Persephone looked a bit put off.

I walked slowly over to them, glancing at Demeter. She was looking hard at me, waiting for her time to strike. She looked like a snake reared up to spit and bite. I stared at her, silently challenging her to do something with the others here. It was rash of me to do, but I wanted to show her I wasn't afraid of her. I wasn't afraid to do what I wanted even if it wasn't the Fates' orders.

She looked away as I stopped next to Artemis. Her brown hair was pulled up and twisted into a bun. Golden bands kept small strands out of her face as she ran and hunted. Her deep, dark brown eyes showed her joy. It appeared she was happy to see me again.

But Athena and Persephone were not. Neither one really showed it upon their faces, but both had a slight frown. Athena was more stoic than Persephone. Her golden brown hair was cut short, barely touching her shoulders. Her white dress ended at her knees with leather sandals upon her feet. She had a belt resting on her hips. The goddess didn't have her usual armament, but I knew she could call it anytime. She looked her part. The Goddess of war, wisdom, crafts, and heroic endeavors.

I looked very different than them. If anything, I looked like a ghost compared to their natural complexion. They seemed bright and colorful. Whereas every color upon me seemed to drain into a dull, dreary shade. Even Artemis, who ruled the moon as well, didn't seem to have the same problem.

She was tall and regal looking. She was pale, but nothing like me. She didn't rule the dead in anyway. And every color complimented her. It didn't drain away or saturate into nothing.

I stood on Artemis' left side, trying to stand away from Athena and Persephone. It wasn't going to be easy with them glaring at me to befriend Persephone. It might end up that I have to befriend her down in the Underworld. Thinking on it, it might be easier than up her with her trail of others. She was barely out of her mother's gaze for more than a moment before Demeter popped up again. It looked as if she was chained up here on Gaia. Chained and bound by many watchful eyes.

And that got me wondering if the Persephone I saw down in Haides was the true one. It was appearing more likely as time went on.

“What are you thinking about, Hekate?” Artemis asked, bringing me out of my thoughts. I stared at the huntress, slowly realizing she was asking me a question.

“Nothing of importance.” Artemis gave me a look. One that said she didn't believe me. I wouldn't believe me either. But I wanted her to drop it, not try to find out. My protective wall went up, I couldn't risk Artemis prying more than she had. Everything would come crumbling down, and I would be at the bottom of it.

She sighed, knowing my body language very well. She only knew since it was very similar to hers. “Very well. I will not pry, but be forewarned I will find out, one way or another.” I knew she would, but I didn't want her to know now. But at least this time, it wasn't much. It just was about Persephone.

A soft, small smile graced my lips at the thought she would do everything in her power to find out what I might have been thinking. That was what Artemis was like. She might have liked the forest and being alone, but she was nosy. She liked to know what others were doing, especially ones close around her.

“I know.”

“To satisfy my curiosity, what has brought you from your realm, Hekate?” Athena asked, turning her gaze from Persephone. All three were curious, but she was the one to voice it, breaking my conversation with Artemis.

I didn't know what to say. I could say the Moirai commanded me, but then that would lead to more trouble than it was worth. I could say that I wanted to see how Persephone was doing. “I wanted to roam the mortal realm for a while.” And it was true for the most part. I have been doing that lately, telling half truths and truths hidden.

“And we just happened to be along your path?” Persephone snapped. Clearing something wasn't right with her. Something was causing her to be this way.

She was annoying me now. All the goddess would do or say to me up here was snide comments and remarks. She changed below, and I decided to not worry about her up here, but rather down in the Underworld.

“Yes,” I stated simply. It would take more than that to get me angry and show it. I had to have patience. Especially when working with the Moirai. And that was where I learned it. “If you have any other questions, mundane or not, you can find me in my realm.”

I walked off, raising my hand in farewell. Artemis waved back, but Athena and Persephone didn't. They stood next to each other. Athena was watching every move I made as Persephone was glaring. I passed Demeter, not sparing her a glance. She didn't look at me either, which was acceptable.

The land slowly disappeared from my feet as I walked upon the mist stairs that most forgot about. They only appeared at a certain time of day, just before Helios reached his zenith. And it only stayed for a few moments before disappearing into nothing. I took them quickly, just wanting to be in my realm before long. But at the same time, I wanted time to think. To decide what I was going to do.

But before I could even think about my problems, I felt someone invoking my name. It felt powerful.

It seemed more and more people were calling me. Invoking me for some reason or another. I just didn't know what that meant. What could cause such a surge of prayers?

It was frustrating. Most were just saying my name, calling for my protection or guidance. But others were darker and more sinister.

A shiver ran down my spine as I thought back to that man. He had nothing but evil intentions. And someone else was helping him. Someone was giving him that power. The power over the gods themselves.

I shook my head and rolled my shoulders, releasing the tension within them. I didn't need to appear at any of the callings. These had not power over me. At least that was what I wanted to believe. But in the back of my mind, I knew I would have to make a decision about them soon.

Reaching my palace, I stood at the door, staring at the carved wood. It held the moon, earth, and the world below. All were within my reach. And that was why most didn't bother me. I had more power than them. Although, I was criticized more than others because of it as well.

Sighing heavily, I pushed the door, walking inside with a slow stride. I stopped just inside the threshold. The door slipped closed behind me. The world inside was silent. Galinthias and Hekabe were nowhere to be seen. They hadn't come to greet me which was weird.

A shiver ran down my spine. The person was invoking me again. I knew I should not ignore them any more.

With a tired and heavy sigh, I went to this person. I didn't want to, but our—the gods—powers were built upon how many people believed in us. Zeus, the king of all gods, was believed in more than others, hence he was the more powerful. The titans didn't need to be believed in. Not by humans. They had their powers all their own. And this was why I had to go. I was a goddess now. My power would falter if I lost believers. I would lose strength.

I appeared at a dark, burned down house. It was old and still smelled of charred wood. I knew something horrible happened here. There were even flickers of ghosts at the corners.

“Hekate,” someone said softly. Turning around, I stared at a slightly familiar face. Askalaphos. I usually never left the Underworld. His pale blue eyes darted around. “I don't have much time,” he hesitated as if hearing something. I waited. I knew something wasn't right. He was fearful, but I didn't know why. At least not yet. “Persephone has eaten seeds from a pomegranate.”

“Are you sure?”

“She plucked one from the tree. I watched from afar, not knowing what she was doing. She broke it open and took a hand full of seeds. I called to her to not eat it. She wasn't suppose to eat the food. Hades does not like others eating his fruit.”

“Askalaphos,” I said, trying to get him back on track. His mind tended to wander very easily.

“Right. She ate the seeds. In one gulp.” I furrowed my brow in confusion. Persephone should know she couldn't leave the Underworld now. But she did. She left the confines of Haides. “Now...” he twitched, gazing to the left. “Now, Demeter Erinys is after me. Her wrath will touch me yet. I had to tell...tell you before...” he snapped his gaze to behind me.

I could feel it. A rage was there. It was unlike one I've felt before. It was unrelenting.

“No...no. She found me.” He disappeared, running away. I was frozen. Demeter was behind me, furious. It scared me a bit. But a mother's wrath was not like anything else. She had a right to be anger. Her daughter was just back from the Underworld and now she had to go back.

“Demeter,” I started, turning slowly.

She stared at me for a moment before disappearing. She was on a mission and I wasn't going to stop her. Not when I had no way of knowing where they were now. This day wasn't a good one. And I had a feeling it wasn't going to get better. Not for a while.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the long, very long delay. I had school and homework to deal with. Along with life. -_-

Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed this chapter. Please do leave a comment. Please subscribe, recommend, or suggest. If you see any mistakes whether spelling, grammatical, or even continuity wise, please tell me. It helps me improve. ^_^

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to the Greek Pantheon in this story.