Status: Brand-spanking-new. On this website at least

Defect.

Shi- Er

Alpha Henny’s POV

The bastard ran out of my grasp and picked up Venus. He was holding her bridal style.

“Give her to me.” Brady was next to him trying to rip out Venus from his hands.

“No. She’s fragile.”

“She’s my best friend!”

“Bullshit! She’s mine!” Robin chimed in from the floor.

“She’s also mine!” Brady turned to argue with her.

Everyone’s arguing. Really?

“Freeze.” I used my Alpha voice, Jason walked in with two notebooks and a smile. It fell the moment he asked, “What happened?”

“You.” I pointed to Robin, “Shut up and put an ice pack on your head.”

“You.” I pointed to Criss, “Help her.” They both got up and reluctantly walked away.

“You.” I pointed to Brady, “Get the bedroom upstairs ready.”

I then turned to the Bastard, “And you. Give her to me then get the hell off my property.”

He wasn’t happy but he handed Venus over to me, once I had her secure in my arms I gave him another command, “And escort your partner out of here.”

He growled but walked towards the door and Jason. “Sorry man, things got out of control. Let’s leave.” Jason nodded and walked out with him. And as the door was closing I heard, “Keep your mouth shut about this alright?”

That boy’s already doing damage control, I sighed and went upstairs. I met Brady on the steps and handed Venus over to him, “Tuck her in. You don’t need to connect her to the machines anymore.”

“Alright.” He said and started heading back upstairs.

“Brady.” He stopped moving, “ Remember that you will receive your punishment later.” I said over my shoulder while walking down the stairs.

“You can’t.” he said. He wasn’t begging me, he was merely stating a fact.

“I know. But we still need to keep up appearances.” I said. I didn’t wait for his response and slammed the door to my office shut.

I hate having to listen to someone below me—Yes my brother also counts, although her is just a step below.

I’m Alpha, even if it was by some sort of default.

I slammed my fist down onto my desk. I’m going to need more help sooner than I thought. I opened the bottom desk drawer and took out my old faded phone book. I flipped through a few pages until I found the number I was searching for. Rapidly punching in the numbers on the home phone, I put my phone book away again.

It rang a couple of times before he picked up.

“Hey, it’s me.” I said knowing he would recognize my voice right away.

“Hey, What’s up Alpha-Man?”

“I’m going to need you to come earlier than planned. As soon as possible actually.”

I should have brought them in a while ago.

I need my best friend and his brother—My Beta and the Bodyguard.

**

Venus’ POV

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I have to do this.

“Vee, you can’t start school if you don’t leave the car.”

I opened my eyes at the same time that I opened the car door, “Fine, Brady, have it your way.” I huffed and got out of the car. I really don’t want to go to school today, or ever again actually.

“You look fine.” He leaned over to where I was, “I dressed you after all.” He winked.

He had dressed me in a loose light red racer back shirt and light blue super skinny jeans.

“Oh, that’s right. I forgot to put this on.” I said closing the car door. I reached into my bag and pulled out a big brown pull over sweater.

Time to cover up.

“Venus, don’t you dare!” Brady yelled at me thought the rolled down window.

I ignored him as I began walking to the front steps of the school while tugging on my sweater. I could hear him groveling behind me, “No! All my hard work!” I turned around and quickly waved goodbye to him. He had his shaking hands up in the air and looking up at the roof of the car in dramatic pain—the classic “por que?!” movie moment.

I laughed and headed through the gates to hell I mean school.

The moment my foot touched the hallway tiles, the hushed whispers began. I looked around confused, was there someone behind me? No? Something on my back then? I checked my back, nothing was there.

I was temporarily on everyone’s radar. And I didn’t like it.

I pulled my hood on and proceeded down the hallways. I kept my head down trying to blend in with the nothingness until I got to my locker.

Robin was leaning on my locker picking at her nail polish and glaring down the people who looked her way. Ah, my best friend the multitasker.

“Hey.” I whispered dropping my bag to the floor.

“Hey,” she smiled at me and leaned off my locker, “The looks people are giving could curdle milk… is that how you say it?”

I laughed, “Yeah. Congrats Rob, you’re smarter than I am.”

“Don’t I know it.” She winked at me, “But seriously kid, how ya’ holding up?”

I shrugged and started putting in the combination to my locker. “I’m trying not to notice.” I said opening my locker.

My heart nearly stopped at the sight before me.

“Bitch. Back off!” was written in the elegant cursive. But Robin didn’t notice and continued to talk, “People seriously need to mind their own shit. Like. Seriously.” She turned to a student staring, “Mind your own damn business!”

I heard the student’s shoes slap onto the dirty tiles as he scrambled away.

“Freshie’s seriously need to get a grip, huh Venus?—Hey, what’s—” she opened my locker door all the way, “what the fuck is this!” she hissed and yanked the hanging note out. She re-read it a few times, getting angrier every moment.

“It’s nothing Rob—“

“This is her writing.” I looked at her weirdly, “She’s in my English class, I know this is her writing. Oh that witch is getting it now.” She said chucking the paper back into my locker and slammed it closed.

“Who?” I asked confused.

“It’s—" andthen she looked behind me and viscously called out her name, “Kelsey!”

I cringed from the loudness. Robin grabbed my hand and began pulling me down the hall to where her new target was at. I barely had time to pick up my bag from the floor.

“What is it little Delinquent?” she asked in a sickly sweet voice.

“Robin, don’t do this.” I whispered, but she shook her head.

“What? Got a bone to pick with me?” she asked putting far too much attention on bone for anyone’s liking. Her friends giggled nonetheless.

“Oh I’m gonna do more than pick a bone.” Kelsey raised her eyebrow egging her to go on, “I’m gonna break a few!” Robin shouted and pulled her fist back.

She swung, but Kelsey ducked allowing Robins fist to come into a loud and painful contact with the locker behind Kelsey’s head.

Robin has had various warning for lashing out, being late, and ditching. She’s on a short leash and I don’t want “instigating fights” to be added to that list either.

“Stop!” I shouted and Robin managed to pause in time. Her knuckle was centimeters away from Kelsey’s makeup plastered face.

“L-listen to the freak,” I nearly growled at Kelsey, “One more strike and you’re out.”

Robin snarled, “Next time you provoke me. I’ll gladly take the suspending, harlot.

Robin stood there snarling right in Kelsey’s face. If Robin weren’t so much taller than her, then their noses would be touching.

It was obvious that Robin was totally dominating both Kelsey, and the situation. Kelsey noticed and began to growl.

My eyes widened. She was growling.

Like a wolf.

I grabbed Robin’s hand and pulled her away, “Class is starting.” I muttered. She wasn’t too happy to be leaving a fight unfinished but I was just happy that she didn’t notice the animal-like noises coming from Kelsey’s chest.

I understand that she think werewolves are the almighty supreme being, and humans are worth next to nothing, but that doesn’t give her the right to growl at a human, especially one that doesn’t know anything about their existence. By doing that she opened up the small chance of having the secret exposed.

Tristan needs to grab a hold of his pack—especially his toys.

**

I paid for my lunch and made the inevitable quest of finding a safe place to sit. My eyes quickly scanned all of the tables as I scoped out all the possibilities and potential threats.

Robin had always secured a place for us to eat by leaving class early.

Today, she couldn’t sneak out of class, like every other day. So she was still in line waiting to get her food. I turned and saw her glaring down the neck of the jock in front of her. She looked back at me and gave me an exasperated look.

I gave her a small wave and continued my table quest.

Just as I was going to give up and go eat on the uncomfortable bleachers, I saw Criss’ hand shoot up. He was signaling me over to the empty table he was at.

I smiled at him and made my way over. I haven’t talked to him today. I thought that after the Brady-Tristan fight fiasco he wouldn’t want anything to do with me.

Criss has a kinder heart than I thought.

Though, not the same could be said about everyone. The looks I was receiving could be enough to knock over a cow.

I ignored the looks, this isn’t the first time people have given me deadly looks—it certainly won’t be the last. They were more intense a few weeks ago, but the student body grew tired of me.

They’re starting to find me interesting again.

I was almost at Criss’ table when I suddenly found my face in a tray full of macaroni and cheese.

My macaroni and cheese.

From the feel of the stinging cold tilde beneath my hands, I could tell I was on the floor. Someone had purposely tripped me. I pushed myself up off my tray and the floor.

Everyone’s laughter bounced off the walls and echoed to the ceiling, making it seem like a couple thousand people were laughing rather than the few hundred. Staring at the ruined Mac & Cheese with my face imprinted onto it, a dreadful memory flashed through my mind:

I was still in the seventh grade. I had just gotten my lunch. I scouted the lunchroom for Nick and began walking with my tray over to where he was. There were snickers all around me but I ignored them.

I didn’t think much of them until I met the floor face first.

Someone had tripped me. I had been right in front of the table Nick was sitting at. I felt a cold slimy substance ooze onto my head, it was applesauce. I looked up and saw a girl with curly reddish-orange afro hair, “oops.” She said with a smirk. I didn’t remember her name.


I clenched my hands into tight fists. No. Not again.

Criss ran towards me and helped me up off the floor. I only knew it was him because he took off my cheese clouded glasses and I could see him. He wasn’t that close, yet I could see him!

I could see him! He wasn’t a big blurry mess. Everything past him was though. I stared wide-eyed as eh tried cleaning my glasses with the very edge of his baggy shirt.

“Aw, would you look at that?” I knew the owner if that voice. I could recognize it even in my nightmares, “The freaks are sticking together—what a couple!” Kelsey shouted as the echoing laughter began up again.

I was shaking with anger. I wanted to duct tape her entire mouth shut. I didn’t care if she insults me, but to insult both my friends in the same day—she was asking for it.

Cut off your emotions, Venus, shut them down.

I did.

The anger faded to be replaced by pain.

I heard running footsteps then Robins shout, “KELSEY! You little—”

“Ah-ah-ah, third strike.” Kelsey warned her off, “ Besides, I didn’t do anything. He did.”

Criss handed me back my cheese-smeared glasses, I put them on and saw where she was pointing.

Gabriel Brale, a junior who Kelsey strung along like a puppy. He was in the varsity team and treated Tristan like a god.

I knew she had told him to trip me. Anyone with logic could make that connection.

I wanted to take a step towards Robin, but when I did I felt pain shoo up to my stomach. It was my wound acting up again.

“Get me out of here.” I whispered to Criss then I painfully added, “Quick.”

He put his arm around my waist to help support my weight. We began to speed walk towards the door. I kept myself from hissing out in complete pain.

Robin saw.

She saw my pained face, Criss’ worried one, and I had absolutely no idea what she was going to do next. “You fucking bitch!” Robin shouted, as she got right in front of her. Everyone in the Pavone Pack tensed up, ready to fight if the need arose.

And oh, the need was arising. Quickly.

But some of them weren’t a part of the Pavone pack. They were part of the ThunderBird pack! I felt my heartbeat increase tenfold. Does my own pack really want me out that badly they’re willing to team up with the enemy?

It was so quiet with anticipation I was able to hear Kelsey whisper, “Third strike.” before smirking.

I so wished Robin would step down—though somewhere deep down inside me, I also wished she would beat the living shit out of Kelsey—but I know that she isn’t one to back down, from anything, especially a threat.

I wanted to pull Robin away, but the pain to the side of my stomach was refraining me from moving an inch. Every breath I took brought pinpricks of pain.

“Robin!” a random girl shouted. She stood up but I couldn’t make out whom she was. “The archery competitions start soon. Don’t do it!” she pleaded. I figured she must be one of her archery teammates.

If there was one thing Robin excelled at, it would be archery. She loved it more than anything else. She also loved competing. She wouldn’t do something that’d make her lose that chance.

She shouldn’t.

This was the State championship she was risking. Robin took a deep breath, “Provoke me, one more time Kelsey,” Robin took a step back, “because then. I’ll make sure that it’ll be worth losing championship. So worth it.” She said and walked over to where we were.

I could see the anger and forced restraint on her face.

Robin is a ticking bomb.

Who wants to explode already.

The football coach slammed the doors open just as she grabbed my hand. He stormed in and began surveying the scene, Mr. Campbell just quietly walked in behind him—he was angry. “What’s going on here?!” he bellowed as everyone fell into a scared silence.

I have to admit, he made a very dramatic entrance—what can I say Pavone’s are known to go in guns blazing.

His eyes quickly singled onto the culprits, “Brale, Rhodes, Principals office. Now!” Robin swore under her breath, “I heard that Rhodes. You.” Mr. Campbell pointed at Kelsey, “Red head, Principals office.”

“Kelsey!” she shrieked her own name, “I didn’t do any—”

“I’m not stupid.” Mr. Campbell growled. “The three of you, to his office. Now.” Coach shouted.

Robin dropped my hand just as Gabriel and Kelsey began shuffling their way towards their death. “Venus,” Mr. Campbell called me softly, “Are you alright?” he asked looking me in the eyes. I nodded, but I couldn’t keep back the wince that fought its way out. Seeing through my lie, he sighed, “Go to the nurses office and report back to the coach and me.”

He turned to Criss, “Can you take her there?” Criss silently nodded and we made our exit. I inwardly cursed myself. One thing was obvious.

I’m on everyone’s radar now.

**

“How did this happen?” Alpha Henny asked for the third time.

I winced as the pack doctor finished wrapping my wound, “ I fell. Where’s Brady?” I repeated myself for the fourth time.

Alpha Henny let out a frustrated sigh, “I told you, he’s busy at the moment. Now tell me the truth, what happened?”

I went to the nurse. She called home and told them to pick me up, immediately. I was waiting for my mom to show, or Robin’s older sister, but instead Alpha Henny showed up. He wasn’t yelling. He was there and eerily quiet.

On the silent ride home he called the pack doctor to come over to his house. A part of my wound had opened up and the doctor was currently bandaging me up.

“You don’t believe me?” I asked him.

He blinked. “No. Not really,” he answered after a glance at the doctor.

I gently nodded, “Hmm… ‘cause I don’t believe you about Brady either.”

I saw his jaw tighten, “You’re pushing it Venus.”

He was annoyed.

Good, so was I.

What could Brady possibly be doing? He doesn’t go to school. He doesn’t work. The person he likes is in class right now, as every other person in his age range.

I know he’s lying to me.

For him to lie and for Brady to not be here it had to be something bad. I don’t care if I disrespect him I want to see Brady.

“Alright,” the doctor cleared the silence, “You’re all set now. Just avoid… movements like falling down.” He said putting his medical equipment away.

Even the doctor saw right through my lie.

But I wasn’t really lying. I did fall I just didn’t mention that I was tripped.

“Thank you.” I whispered, the fighting power slowly slipping away from me. I closed my eyes. I haven’t looked the doctor directly in the face since he got here. I don’t want to see him—he’ll bring back memories from when my parents had me tested after the Eldon Ceremony, “When can I go home?”

The doctor sounded confused, “What do you mean? You are home. Everyone knows that.” He nervously chuckled.

I looked at Alpha Henny, “What?”

He cleared his throat, “It’s a liability for you and Andromeda to be in the same building, let alone living under the same roof. So this is your new home.”

“So I get no say in this?” I meant it as a statement but it sounded like a question. I wasn’t mad I can’t get mad at an Alpha’s command. I was just really irritated.

“No, you don’t.”

“This is what’s best for the pack.” I whispered suddenly realizing it.

“Exactly. What’s best for everyone I’m glad you understand.” He then turned to doctor “I’ll walk you out, Doc. Thanks for coming man.” He said as he led the doctor out. The door clicked closed, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

He’s isolating me from the pack.

No one comes to the Alpha’s house unless they had a reason. The Alpha is a busy man, he can’t be bothered with someone who just wants to talk. They could stop at the pack house for that.

His door is always open to the wolves who need him, but not for gossiping chatterboxes.

Here no one will run into me.

Come into contact with me.

He’s isolated me.

Am I that much of a threat to the pack? That I can’t be around them?

I mean I could go anywhere. Robin’s home for one, the pack house for another—so why this place?

Maybe he thinks that what I have is contagious.

**

I sat on my new bed and turned on my laptop.

My things were already in here. It wasn’t much, but when Alpha Henny brought me home today everything was already in its place. The “Get Well” cards taking up most of the space on the cabinet. I was still in the mismatched room that I had woken up in after the accident.

I logged on and checked my email.

I don’t have the hope that anyone would email me, besides my teachers. I have a whopping grand total of three friends, and one is someone who is my partner and rarely speaks.

I was expecting an email form my teachers with my homework not this: There was an email from Zoltan.

I thought about it for a second, I don’t know a Zoltan. A name like that would have surely stuck to me. It’s not a name someone would easily forget. Curiosity got the best of me and I clicked on the message anyways.

My eyes widened at the sentence written before me:

“I can cure you, Venus.”