Status: Brand-spanking-new. On this website at least

Defect.

Shi- San

My fingers were trembling as I typed back the questions, “who are you?” I closed my laptop and took a deep breath. If this Zoltan person really can help me—I can be normal.

I can be happy!

I can go on runs with Brady! I looked down at my hands. I could feel the soft forest dirt underneath my paws. I would be able to feel the wind all over my body. I could finally be a part of the pack.

I really can be happy.

But what if Zoltan is actually just a stalker? Who just wants to kill me, or something? I should tell someone about him, her…. it.

I hopped off my bed, quietly opened my door and walked down the hallway to Brady’s room. If I have a crazy stalker I want Brady to know about it.

I raised my hand to knock, but I changed my mind and just opened the door instead. I peeked my head in and saw Brady sprawled across his big blue bed, softly snoring in his sleep. I quietly walked in to the side of his bed.

Unlike the rest of the human population, Brady didn’t look younger in his sleep. He looked at least five years older. Without his wide happy-go-lucky smile, his older mature features were allowed to settle in.

He snored loudly and I held back my laughter. I reached out to move his hair out of his face. My finger accidently lightly brushed up against his forehead and Brady immediately shot up.

He was on all fours on top of his comforters, and growling. His pupils showed me something I feared—his wolf was in charge.

I took a cautious step backwards and he pulled his lips back showing me his gritted teeth, “Brady.” I whispered. He wouldn’t hurt me.

His pupils flashed and he was suddenly whimpering in pain. He began to thrash his body around his bed growling and scratching at something that was on his wrist. He began rolling around his bed wildly swinging his wrist around. It would’ve been funny if he didn’t sound like he was in so much pain.

I caught a glimpse of what was causing his pain. It was a bracelet made out of a special tree bark twine—created to be nearly indestructible. There was a miniscule white flower attached to it. Brady rolled forward and off his bed with a loud grunt. I jumped back in surprise.

He began viciously biting the bracelet but he also then immediately began hissing in pain. He stuck his tongue out and began rubbing it on his comforter as if wanting to get the taste of the bracelet out. That’s when I realized what the bracelet was. A wolfs bane bracelet.

It wasn’t enough wolfs bane to kill the wearer, but just enough for them to wither in pain. It’s given out as a punishment—wait why would Brady be wearing it?

It was a punishment.

It was issued by Alphas, and carried out by Beta’s, to wolves who disobeyed or broke pack law. There are other ways to punish a wolf, but this one is quick and severe. It gives the immediate wearer intense bolts of shock throughout their body. It won’t end until the Alpha, or Beta, takes it off.

“Brady!” I ran and tried to pry off the bracelet.

Either them, or a very desperate person.

He kept swinging his wrist around, even though I was grabbing onto him. He only succeeded in rattling my brain around in my head. I kept my grip on strong, but it wouldn’t unclasp. Brady was growling at me

I saw Brady preparing himself to roll again. I got an idea and grabbed onto his bedpost just as he rolled forward. “Come OFF!” I felt a tug then a snap before Brady crashed right into the wall—head first.

I smiled triumphantly; the bracelet was in my hand. I quickly dropped it.

Meanwhile Brady fell backwards. His wolf was still in control, but he was trying to recuperate. His deep peaceful breathing allowed relief to flood through me. I let myself fall to the floor with a sigh. I heard the front door close downstairs behind me. I carefully made my way downstairs.

Alpha Colt has some major explaining to do.

I saw him standing in the living room with a cardboard box in his hands. “Alpha!” I shouted. He whipped around to face me. The smile fell off his face when he saw the scowl I had on mine, “Why was Brady being punished?”

“He attacked a member of another pack, Venus.”

“But, the wolfs bane bracelet?” I asked exasperated.

He looked away from me and continued walking, “He attacked the Alpha’s son—”

“The bastard deserved it.”

Sighing, he put the box on top of the kitchen table, “If I didn’t take action, they would’ve.”

I understood that, but giving such a severe punishment to him. It didn’t seem fair at all to Brady. People like Andromeda deserved this, not him.

“Henry.” A new voice spoke, “where do I place these?” I detected a British accent.

Alpha Henny looked over my head to the new deep voice behind me, “Just put them here.” He patted the box he had just put down, “I’ll go help your brother bring in the rest. Excuse me Venus.” he said patting my head and walking past me.

Shut down your anger Venus.

It wasn’t so strong this time so it didn’t hurt but I still slightly cringed.

“Venus?” the new voice asked surprised. I quietly sighed; people always gave me crap about my name.

I turned around, “Yeah? That’s me.” I said scrunching up my nose.

Standing there with a big box in his hands stood the owner of a beautiful pair of blue-green eyes. I was busy getting lost in his amazing eyes when he spoke again. “Venus!” he shouted in joy and dropped the box before running to hug me.

My eyes went wide, who is this guy?

I felt the stranger tighten his arms around me. My body was flush up against his. The stranger then picked me up off the ground and swung me around in dizzying circles. I felt the pain start at the side of my waist before it crawled up and over my stomach.

Sensing my discomfort he set me back onto the floor, “You don’t remember me.” He asked but it was more of a statement. I detected his British accent again.

I don’t know any British.

“No” I slowly sank down onto the floor gripping my stomach and sides, “Could you—could you call the pack doctor?”
**

“Two times in one hour, are you trying to make a new record Venus?” the doctor joked as I was escorting him into the living room.

“No.” I mumbled looking down and tugging my sweaters sleeve further down.

I didn’t make eye contact the entire time.

After Brady’s roughness and the Brits intense hug, my wound acted up. It was letting out puss, which despite how gross it looked was a good sign. The Doctor gave me a special shot and cream, it’s meant for werewolves so it should only speed along my healing process. I hoped he was right, I ‘d hate it if I had to call him in again.

“Venus.” The Doctor called me. I made the mistake of turning to look at him.

His eyes were still the same shade of blue as that day.

“What do you mean you don’t know?” my Mother growled out at the Doctor. I was sitting on the examination table in a breezy gown. Numerous tests had been done on me, but none of them had produced answers. My Father stood passively next to me, arms crossed and mouth set into a tight line.

“We simply… don’t know. We can’t detect her wolf.” My Mother saw what he was implying, that I had no wolf, and she gasped. The Doctor simply continued on, “It’s hard to detect it with fully formed wolves, now with a small child like her it’s extremely difficult.”

“I don’t care.” My mother took a menacing step forward, “You will fix her! You will fix my daughter!” she shouted in his face.

My Father stepped forward and pulled her away from the Doctor. She was shaking with anger and she kept shouting the same thing over and over again, “You will fix her!”

My Father held her tight in his arms as she cried and shouted incoherent things.

I sat there. Staring at my Father as he comforted my hysterical Mother, and the Doctor stood there looking shocked and angry. “What makes you think she’s broken.” He muttered under his breath.

My parents couldn’t hear him over my Mother’s dramatic crying—but I did. The Doctor looked me in the eye, his blue eyes brighter than the sky and sadder than I have ever seen, and I knew that he wanted me to hear him.

I was not broken.

Thing is, I’m defected.


He placed his hand on my shoulder and I kept myself from flinching away, “Don’t worry about Brayden. He’s a strong wolf. He’ll be fine. Have him eat oranges if he doesn’t feel well.”

I also asked him to check in on Brady right after he gave me a shot. He came back and told me that he was resting. And snoring. After the wolfs bane bracelet came off his body quickly started healing. His wolf gave control back to his human side.

We walked into the living room and Alpha Henny walked over to us, “Doc. How was everything?”

“Just great, Alpha. She’ll be fine if she doesn’t have any more incidents.”

Alpha Henny smiled brightly at me, “That’s great to hear.”

I fought the blush that wanted to appear, but I couldn’t fight my increased heart rate.

What’s this feeling?

“I’ll show you out Doc.” Alpha Henny began walking with his hand on the Doctors shoulder, “And thanks for coming again.”

I stared at his retreating muscular back, wondering what the hell he was doing to me.

“He has that effect on all the ladies.” A heavy British accent said. I turned expecting to see the Brit with the mesmerizing eyes.

But there stood another one with a killer body.

He smiled at me, and dear lord I think his smile is far more deadly than his body, “The name’s Zak sweetheart.” He winked at me.

And, of course, I couldn’t control the blush.

“Zak! Leave her alone. She doesn’t even remember me.” Said another light British accent. I knew without turning that it was the boy with the hypnotizing eyes. I don’t know any British people, but after hearing their amazing accents I wish I would’ve gone out to meet twenty.

“Aye, don’t get ya’ knickers in a twist, I was just greeting the sexy lady.” Zak said slapping the other Brit on the back. The blush was completely out of my control as it turned shades darker. What are knickers?

“Excuse me,” I cleared my throat, “I don’t know anyone from the U.K., Britain, or whatever you call it.”

Zak’s eyebrows shot up, “Damn. Bloody bad luck mate, she doesn’t remember you.” The other Brit just rubbed his face with bother of his hands in frustration. I don’t know him, I think I would’ve remembered someone with a cool accent and mesmerizing eyes.

A thought occurred to me.

“You’re Zoltan?” I whispered, suddenly scared that he could be that creeper.

“Zoltan?” he asked confusedly.

Zak also made a face at me, “His name doesn’t even start with a Zed.”

“Zed?”

The Brit sighed, “It’s our way of pronouncing the letter Z. This nitwit brother of mine” he slaps Zak’s arm, “forgets we’re in America.”

“Oh.” I whispered not wanting him to go into further detail. The letter ‘Z’ being pronounced as ‘Zed’ sounded ludicrous to me. “Nevermind then.” I said quietly.

It got quiet as Zak rubbed the arm his brother hit, the Brit just stared at me. And me? Oh, well I just kept my gaze everywhere—but on him.

Awkward!

The front door opening was heard before the powerful voice shouted, “Venus!”

I turned, “Alpha.” I said in an accusing tone.

He smirked, “ I see you’ve met your new Beta, Zak,” he pointed at Zak who waves goofily, “And his younger brother,” he pointed to the younger Brit, “Nick Anderson.”

My eyes went wide with recognition.

Nick beamed a smile at me, “I see you finally recognized me.”

“Y-y-yo-you didn’t have a—a—“

“An accent?” he finished for me. He nodded and only brightened his smile at me, “You tend to pick up their habits while attending school with them for hours on end.”

I stared flabbergasted at him and his older brother. Only one thought was running through my mind”

The Andersons’ were back.