Status: Brand-spanking-new. On this website at least

Defect.

Shi-Ba

I avoided fidgeting around in my chair as I sat in the room with the woman I disliked most in the world, and the man that had absolutely no relevance to me.

Honestly, why did he have to call my Mother to come down here? Wasn’t leaving a message in Robins sisters cell phone enough?

You see under the Emergency numbers, Robin put her sister down as the main contact, then Uncle Ralf and then lastly it was my Mother.

“We are very well looking at grounds for expulsion.” The Principal cleared this throat and shuffled around a few more papers before continuing, “but seeing at there’s no evidence of what just happened besides one witness. We can’t really do anything.”

When Criss was questioned about he it, he didn’t say anything about me just that he was busy working on what he was supposed to be doing.

“So that’s it?” My mother huffed and sat up straighter, “then there really was no purpose in calling me down here then, now was there?” Her hair was in a fancy updo, and her clothes gave off the hint that she was a woman in power. She wore black slacks, a white button down and a light pink blazer topped with pearls my Father had given her long ago.

The Principal didn’t know whether to be appalled or frightened. He was, to say the least, very confused, “Well just because we really can’t do much does not mean that we are not going to do anything. For whatever reason, Venus had upset another student in class which distracted him from his work and cause in a very minor injury so for that—I am issuing a two week suspension.”

Who knew hacking into the schools computer would get you into so much trouble?

My eyes opened wider, “Really? Where the hell was Tristan friends’ punishment for distracting Criss? Or for Kelsey who, may I remind you, has already gotten in big trouble this past month?”

Nah, I’m just kidding I didn’t really say that.

In reality, I just sat there with my mouth tightly closed as my Mother huffed again.

I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as I possibly could.

“How is she supposed to keep up with her school work?”

“She was already behind on her school work because of the injury she sustained,” my Mother went rigid with the mention of Andromeda’s doing. “And it seems that she was able to keep up with all the work, so I can see that will not be a problem.”

My Mother did not make a comment on that.

“Or is it that I’m wrong? Has she not kept up with her school work at home?” he asked.

I saw, than actually heard, her soft gulp. “Of course she has. I make sure of it.”

Sure you do.

This is the first time you’ve seen me since Andromeda’s doing. How long as it been? 3 weeks?

“If that is all, I must get going for I have business to attend to.” My Mother said standing up.

“Yes I believe that is all.” The Principal stood up as well, “ In the mean time I will look over your case, Venus, and decided whether or not I should shorten your sentence.”

Why did it feel like he was a judge and I was being sent off to jail for petty theft?

“Good bye.” My Mother said opening the door and signaling for me to get out. I gave the Principal a quiet thank you before grabbing my things and leading the way out.

My Mother was quiet on our way out. Heels clicking on the dry pavement, she followed my trail all the way up to her car, which was parked right in front of the school.

“Wasting my time with this.” I heard her mutter as she walked past me.

My Mother opened the car door, but didn’t get inside. Instead she looked at me; “Well?” she said expectantly, “Aren’t you going to get inside?”

I shook my head, “Alpha Henry has already sent someone.”

She gave a curt nod, “Well, alright then.” And with that she got into her car. I was just about to turn around and walk away when she got back out of her car with a big envelope in hand, “By the way, this arrived in the mail for you” she handed it to me and with that she re-entered her car and sped away. I watched as she quickly drove out of my sight. I shrugged on my backpack and began walking in a random direction with envelope still in my hand.

There was no one coming for me; I had lied.

And she didn’t doubt me for one second.

It wasn’t that long before the school was blocks behind me. I wanted some time alone and its not like I had a cell phone for anyone to find me before I wanted to be found.

I walk out the homeowner area and into the area where the forest is right next to the paved street. There’s nothing in front of me for quite a few blocks.

My life has certainly been turned upside down and shaken around.

Would I still be here if I had never gone to the park that morning and met Brady? What if I never had that sudden urge to talk to someone other than Robin?

I would probably still be in school, hating Alpha Henny and allowing myself into being bullied into extinction.

I reached a gas station and decided to buy myself a soda, it wasn’t until then that I noticed I had yet to open the envelope my Mother had given me. Sitting outside the convenience store with my can of Coke-a-Cola sitting on the ground next to me I looked at it.

It was just a plan big envelope with my name written in elegant cursive.

My eyebrows scrunched up together, where could this be from?

I was so confused until I read the first few words of the formal looking letter.

“Congratulations! On behave of the Acceptance Committee, I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into the Arts Major at-”

Shut up.

With a soft breeze the letter slipped from right out of my hands.

SHUT UP.

It took me a moment to realize that my acceptance letter was tumbling away from me. “Oh shit!” I cursed and ran after it.

I was afraid to stomp on it because it was just so beautiful—I didn’t want to ruin it. It finally stopped flying away from me when it hit the wheels of a car that was parked getting gas. I quickly snatched it up before the owner of the car decided to notice me. I shoved it back into big envelope before securing it inside my backpack.

I had to get home. I just had to tell everyone. Oh my god, I had to tell Mr.Campbell about this! Ahhh, my God.

My heart sunk, when was the last time I had been in his class? Absolutely ages.

I closed my eyes in frustration—and it’s been ages since I’ve worked on my Final project. I’m never going to finish it on time now.

Well, maybe if I went back to school I could sneak in and ask him to give it to me so I could work on it at home.

And now with this long suspension I’ll never get the chance to.

Yeah Venus, lets sneak into school. I rolled my eyes, normal people usually do the opposite.

I felt an idea practically bounce into my head; I could text Robin and have her get it for me! I began to dig around in my backpack for my cell phone when I remembered… I lost it.

I looked around my surroundings, I watched as the car my acceptance letter had run into drive away. Where the hell am I? I don’t know my way back from here.

“Shouldn’t have spaced out on the walk here.” I sighed. I started to pull out the last singles in my wallet and walked back into the convenience store. It was time to look for a payphone.

Do those still exist?

It was a few minutes later when I had the correct change and was standing at the payphone that was a few feet away from the gas station. I bounced the receiver from hand to hand. It was burning hot from the sun’s rays beating down upon it all day. Now, whom to call?

I racked my head for any possible people, and only one persons name popped up. I punched in the numbers. It was the only person whose number I knew by heart, other than Robins and my home of course. I wasn’t about to call home.

It rang a few times before a familiar voice answered with a confused, “Hello?”

“Hey. It’s—uh—it’s Venus.” I started off awkwardly

“Venus?! Kiddo, whats wrong?”
“Nothing! I—uh—I just need a- uh favor. Are you free?”

“ Yeah I’m on break. Wait, did you get a new phone? Or…Whose number is this?”

“A payphone.” I whispered, “Could you pick me up?”

I gave her the name of the gas station. As she was telling me that she was on her way, I could hear her running out to her car.

It only took her sixteen minutes to arrive in her old beat up little FORD truck.

She quickly spotted me sitting on the curb and pulled over. She jumped out of the drivers seat, short blond hair swishing around her face, and looked me up head to toe. Once decided that I was not harmed in anyway, she opened the passenger door, “C’mon!”

I got inside and buckled my seatbelt “Thanks, Mayra” I said letting a breath of relief exit me.

“Don’t worry about it Venus, you know you’re like my other little sister. I’m just glad it wasn’t anythin’ serious.” She said with a smile.

I smiled back at her. I could always trust Mayra, after all she was a Rhodes.

She was Robins only older sister.

It took us another twenty minutes to arrive back at Alpha Hennys house. Robin hadn’t filled her in that I was staying here for the time being, so she was reluctant to let me out of the truck.

“Are you sure?” she asked for the fifth time, she was eyeballing the house looking.

“Yeah, its fine.” I said gathering my things.

“I’m not so sure Venus, I mean you could stay with-”

Someone knocked on the passenger door.

I turned around and nearly jumped out of my skin. It was Alpha Henny wearing a forced smile. Of course, it may not be as obvious to Mayra as it is to me.

“Venus!” He said with fake enthusiasm. He leaned in through the passenger window, “You’re back, so late.”

“Yeah. Took a walk.” I whispered softly.

Mayra slipped on a serious no-nonsense face, “Who are you?”

Alpha Henny gave her a bright smile back at her, “I’m Henry Colt, a family friend” he said sticking arm right in front of me. Mayra carefully shook it, “Nice to meet you Mr.Colt”

“The pleasure’s all mine! Anyways, thanks for driving her home Miss…”

“Rhodes.”

Alpha Hennys eyebrows shot up out of surprise, “Rhodes? Are you perhaps by any chance related to Robin Rhodes?”

I swear on my lost cell phone that I heard Zaks ears perk up from inside the house.

“Yes, I’m Mayra her older sister.”

“Wow, who knew the Rhodes family had extraordinary good looking genes.” Alpha Henny said laying the charm on thick.

I flinched and felt a slight pang in my heart. What was that?

He looked me in the eyes. I could see all the suicides he was going to make me run. I could feel the burn already; I withheld a loud gulp. I turned back to Mayra and quickly said, “On second thought I’ll take you up on that offer to sleep over.”

“Nonsense! Brady’s been waiting all day for you.” He nodded back at the house. Through the big window in the living room, which was right behind Alpha Henny’s head, I saw Brady fake crying dramatically mouthing ‘save yourself!’

Then Nick came out and suddenly pushed Brady’s head down but before he was able to close the curtains Brady quickly stood up clutching his head, which was oozing something close to the likeness to that of blood.

What was that? Ketchup? Ah, I know! Tomato sauce.

Mayra’s eyes went wide open—he was a good actor.

“Uh, what was tha-”

Suddenly, the curtains were pulled apart to show Zak eagerly pressing himself up against the glass (it was because he heard his mates name I’m sure) and Brady holding Nick in a tight head lock all while joyfully cackling.

“What the fuck?” I heard Mayra whisper under her breath.

Of course, this was all going on and Alpha Henny was completely unaware of it.

“Don’t worry Ms. Rhodes, I can assure you that she’s safe with us.” He said with a wink. “So if Venus would ge-”

He didn’t get to finish that sentence because Mayra had put the windows up, locked the door and fumbled to turn the ignition on.

She screamed when a face was pressed up against her window, it was Zak.

“You’re Robins big sister? How is she doing, did she eat today?” he asked with a genuine smile on his face.

It sounds like Robin has been giving him the cold shoulder.

Mayra stopped fumbling with the keys. From the look on her face it looked like she was adding things up in her head. She snapped her fingers, “You’re Zak!” she exclaimed, “Robins talked about you!”

Zak looked ready to burst with joy, “REALLY?”

“Yeah. I could tell its you because of your accent” She put a hand over her heart, “Jesus. Here I was thinking that this was an insane asylum.” She began laughing letting out all the stress she accumulated in the short minutes she was here

Ah, freedom. I was so close.

And man she was laughing really hard.

“Your friends are so funny. Alright then kiddo,” she glanced at the clock on her dash, “I gotta start heading back to work.”

We hugged goodbye and got out of the car.

We all waved goodbye until she was out of our sight.

I turned to Alpha Henny before he could say anything, “To be fair, it’s not like knew your number by memory. I don’t have a phone.” I answered calmly.

Alpha Henny shook his head annoyed, “Your Mother called. You are so getting punished.”

I groaned, “How many?”

“Fifty-six.”

I groaned louder and went to change into my workout clothes.

I was too busy dreading the fifty-six suicides I had to do that I had forgotten all about the acceptance letter in my backpack.

Well, that was just a problem for another