Status: In progress

My Only One

I might not ever get to talk to them again.

~Alex~
That show was the best show that we had ever played. There was something about the stage and the way we played that made that show special. We sold every CD and every t-shirt and it was just a great day. Some of the kids even knew a couple of our songs which was amazing. I couldn’t believe it. Nothing could ruin this night.

I ran off the stage in search of Megan, who was always there for me after the shows. She wasn’t there though, so I just assumed she was in the bathroom or at the merch tent and I went back to the bus to wait for her. Ten minutes later, once all the guys were back on the bus, I started to get a little bit worried. Where is she? I tried calling her cellphone but she didn’t answer. Maybe she was with one of the other bands. That was probably where she was at.

I went the Set it off bus and then the Mayday bus and she wasn’t on either of them. Then I checked the Paramore bus and Hayley said she wasn’t in there. Alright, then where was she? It’s already been about a half an hour since the show and she hasn’t called me. We were supposed to be leaving in twenty minutes for the next venue but we sure couldn’t if my girlfriend was missing.

I tried calling her again but this time it went straight to voice mail. Her phone was off. Off. This was just great. This is seriously not what I wanted my perfect day to end like. I walked around for another ten minutes looking for her. When I couldn’t find her, I went back to the bus to check if she was there. “Alex we’re about to leave,” Jack said. “Did you find her?” I shook my head.

“Will you guys look with me?”

They all nodded and walked out the bus after me and started looking. The other bands offered to come help us but they ended up having to leave. Twenty minutes after the other buses left, we were still walking around the venue looking for Megan. It was a HUGE venue. At this point there is only one place that I haven’t check and that was the lawn seating. The lawn was pretty big though so this last search could take a while.

I looked around the whole lawn with just the light from my phone and I was about to give up when I heard a sniffle coming from behind one of the bushes. “Megan?” I called, walking over to the spot where I heard the noise. I looked behind the bush to see Megan curled up into a ball, crying, on the ground. I quickly got down next to her and held her in my arms. “Baby, baby. What’s wrong? What happened? Why haven’t you been answering me?” She looked up at me and started to cry some more. I had no idea what could have happened while I was on stage. I wish I could have been here for her sooner though for whatever it was that happened.

“Baby, please. Tell me what happened.” She looked up at me and I wiped the tears away from her face. “When you guys were playing Dear Maria, I got a phone call. It was from Jack’s mom. I had no idea why Jack’s mom would be calling me so I walked all the way up here because it was a lot quieter. I answered and she said hello and sounded really upset about something. It made me a little nervous. I asked her what was wrong and she said something happened at my house.” She stopped and started to cry a little bit so I held her in my arms until she could talk again. She continued. “She said that someone broke into my house and they killed my mom.” I looked at Megan with wide eyes. “I’m so sorry,” I said holding her. “That’s not all,” she said sniffling. “Whoever killed my mom took my sisters. They took them. No one has any idea where they are. They’re just gone.”

I held her in my arms for another ten minutes, just sitting there and not saying a word. I knew how much her little sisters meant to her. They were the only real family that she had, even if they were only half-sisters. They were the only family that she loved and that loved her back. I couldn’t believe someone would have taken them like that. And her mom. I knew that part somewhat upset her but her sisters meant the world to her. Her mom wasn’t really a part of her life.

“You want to know what the worst part is?” She asked me after, now, fifteen minutes of silence. I knew we had to leave and go to the bus but I would let her finish. “What, baby?” I asked her. “The worst part is that I was on the phone with them yesterday. I answered and told her that I’d call her tomorrow after the show. But I couldn’t. I didn’t even get to talk to them. I might not ever get to talk to them again. I blew my chance.”

“Don’t say that, Megan. Don’t say things like that. They will find them and I know it. Don’t just give up. You can’t give up on things that are that important.” She tried to smile at me but tears just slipped down her cheeks instead. I wiped them away and looked at her once again. “We’re over an hour late. Everyone left an hour and a half ago. I know you don’t want to but we have to go.” I looked down at my phone. Ten missed calls. I called Jack, the first person that came up on the list. He answered on the first ring.

“Why haven’t you been answering?”

“Sorry, man. I’ve got her here. We’re on our way to the bus.”

“Where the hell was she?”

“On the lawn. I’ll talk to you later though. We’ll be there in a second.”

“Alright. Should we say anything to her when she gets here or no?”

“No, not now.”

I hung up the phone and made my way with Megan back toward the bus. It was a long, silent walk. I felt so sorry for her. We walked into the bus, no one saying a word and I took her to the back room. She got dressed and I carried her to the bunks and set her inside. “I’ll be right back, baby,” I said to her after I kissed her forehead. She nodded and flipped over facing the wall. I walked to the kitchen where everyone was standing. Just then the bus started to move.

“What the hell just happened?” Rian asked.

I explained everything.

“Oh my God, that’s terrible,” Jack said.

"That’s crazy. I really want to go give her a hug,” Zack said looking down at the ground.

“I’m going to go lay down with her. Good night guys.” They all said goodnight as I walked toward the bunks and climbed in with Megan. “Are you alright, baby?” I asked her quietly, almost at a whisper. She didn’t reply. All I heard was a soft breathing and a very, very soft snore escape her lips. She fell asleep. She really did need the rest.

“Goodnight beautiful,” I said, kissing her forehead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww.