Scumbag

One: You’ve Been Searching For That Someone

Billie Joe’s POV:

I knew I should have stayed home tonight. My head swung down and something was thumping right against my brain, when I knew I should have stayed home tonight. The lights were too much; too bright and too sporadic. I wanted to lie down. I was going to lie down.

The cool concrete of the backstage floor pressed right against my back felt incredible as I lay there with my jacket over my face, not wanting to be disturbed but knowing it was certain. Dixie had been at the bar, as per usual, with… who was that? Some guy. I wasn’t sure. Or was it a girl? I didn’t wanna know. I wasn’t the jealous type, I just didn’t like her hanging out with guys that were prettier than I was. But whatever. My jacket was pulled from my face and there she was, her hair cascading around her pretty little face as she stood staring down at me. I let out an ‘oof’ as she sat down then, straight on my stomach without the slightest care. She knew she’d sat down too hard. I knew she knew from the sly smirk that was pulling at the corner of her mouth. She could be such a bitch sometimes, but hey, she was the only person I knew that was old enough to buy me booze. She had her good points, I guess.

“Billie boy what are you doing on the ground?” she asked. “You left the set half way through! You sure know how to disappoint people. I mean it’s not my gig and all but if it were–”

“I’m ill, Dix,” I said, cutting her off half way. I didn’t want to hear the million and one reasons why she thought she was better than me. “I’m gonna head home. If you want a lift you’d better gather your things.”

“Well, I’ll just go back with Trè when he drops off Mike. You’re not leaving yet are you, Mike?” He shook his head, his long, shaggy hair shaking with him. I wanted to pinch him, but I didn’t. I didn’t want to be woken up at some ungodly hour in the morning as they all came back to mine, and by her least of all.

My head found my pillow the instant I got back home. My car was cold and the heating didn’t work anymore, so all I wanted to do was crawl beneath my covers. I didn’t even bother getting undressed, trying to retain as much warmth as possible. I wanted to sleep but I knew as soon as I found it, they’d be back and I’d be woken for sure. I’d always been a light sleeper, which sucked as I’d always lived in such a busy house. I was lucky in that they were back much earlier than I’d expected, and I’d managed to stay awake so I wouldn’t be so frustrated in the end.

“Shh!” Dixie half screeched, half laughed. She was drunk. She always snored when she was drunk, which was just perfect because I still had a killer headache. I’d tried to find something to help it in the medicine cabinet, but mum still locked it. I was 18 years old and she still locked me out of the medicine cabinet. Sometimes it was cute how protective she still was of me, and sometimes it was just plain annoying. Now was one of those annoying times, when she was out and I needed the damn key. Every little noise they were making sounded loud enough to wake the dead as it echoed in my mind.

“Honey, you can sleep here where Trè usually sleeps,” Dixie whispered, which had me open my eyes a peek to see who it was she’d invited into my house this time. I was almost surprised to see the guy she’d been with earlier at the bar standing awkwardly in the doorway to my bedroom, his eyes landing on the mattress squished between Mike’s bed and my own.

“Are you sure Billie is okay with me staying?” he asked, which was nice of him. I guess they hadn’t noticed I was still awake, not that I minded. I was glad I didn’t have to get up.

“I live here too ya know, and I say you’re allowed to stay. So stop worrying about it, yeah?” Mike replied. I was glad he was starting to treat my place more like his home, because I wanted him to feel welcome. He was practically my brother. We’d been through so much together, and I just wanted him to be happy. I was glad when it seemed my mum wanted the same thing and invited him to stay with us a few months ago. I felt the mattress dip as Dixie sat down, changing her clothes in plain view of my best friend and this stranger before crawling over me and cuddling up to my side. Her hands were cold, and I wasn’t in the mood to pretend to be interested as she ran her nails down my chest.

Mike flicked the lights and there was a bit of shuffling and giggling before everyone was settled when I deemed it safe to open my eyes once again, desperate to get a better look at the stranger sharing my room. Sure, he was attractive, but he wasn’t Dixie’s type. He was… well, I don’t really know what type he was. He was wearing a red cardigan and a pair of pale blue jeans, which he’d taken off and thrown at the end of the mattress. His hair was black and sat just on his shoulders, but it was now falling a little in his face. I imagined he must tuck it behind his ears a lot from the kinks it’d formed, which I guess was kind of cute. I wasn’t sure how long he’d had his eyes open for as I found them in the dark, and then I didn’t know what else to do but to blush like a fool. He smiled kindly at my clear embarrassment and turned to face the other way. I wasn’t sure why I’d been so shy about having checked someone out, but perhaps it had something to do with my girlfriend being right by my side. I may have had the mind of a complete and utter slut, but I’d never betray her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't written Green Day fan fiction in the LONGEST time, guys. Let me know what you think :)