Status: (this was originally titled Out of the Darkness) in progress! please leave comments/criticisms <3

A Little's Enough

the escape plan.

We made our way through the house and joined my family in the kitchen. I had to laugh at the look on Mikey’s face trying to roll out pie dough for mom. He looked so determined, but was clearly not getting anywhere.
“Hey Mikes, why don’t I do that for you?” Teigann offered while giggling at the situation.
“You probably should if anyone wants dessert tonight.” He furrowed his brows. “Fucking pie dough.”
I laughed out loud at this. “Mom, got anything less intense for Mikey to do? Pie making just isn’t his thing.”

I loved that Teigann could interact with my family so naturally. It wasn’t faked or forced. She genuinely liked doing things with them.
“Teigh, you don’t have to do that! You’re a guest honey.” Mom called out, noticing Teigann reforming the dough.
“It’s okay Mrs. Way.” She smiled up. “I really love baking. I should help out anyways, you were kind enough to have me over.”
“It’s Donna honey, please. And I won’t turn down a helping hand, but we wanted you here.”
“Thanks Donna.” Teigann smiled sweetly. With that she put her head down and continued working effortlessly.

My mother smiled and moved back to the other side of the kitchen, motioning for me to follow her.
“She’s a keeper Gerard, don’t you let her get away.” She laughed in my ear once I was close enough. I glanced to Teigh then back again to my mother. “I know. I won’t.” I smiled.
“Mikey, start peeling potatoes. Gerard, finish up that pie with Teigann.” My mother instructed. And with that, we all busied ourselves with finishing up the things for Christmas dinner.

A few hours later, we had finished dinner and were seated lazily around the table talking and laughing. During dinner we had cracked Christmas crackers and a plastic ring came out of mine. I had placed it on Teigann’s pinky finger with a smile and she had grinned like never before. I loved that smile. Suddenly Teigann’s phone began ringing. Mikey tensed up, knowing October’s ringtone was the one that was sounding.

“Hey Boo.” Teigh answered the phone. “No, we’re finished dinner. Okay. Alright. Hang in there, he’ll be there soon. I love you Boo.” With that she hung up the phone. “Mikes, operation save October is in effect now.” She looked at me a worried expression on her face.
“Is she okay?” I asked, getting up to get my keys for Mikey.
“She just said she needed to get picked up. She’s at the café on Seneca Road.” She replied quietly. “Mikey, get there safe, but quick.”
My brother just nodded to this. I could tell that inside he was panicking but was managing to stay fairly composed. “Thanks Gee. I’ll be back soon.” Seconds later he was out the door.

“Gee, she was a mess. I couldn’t tell him before he left. She was crying really hard, I could barely make out what she was saying. It can’t be any good if she’s not even at her dad’s anymore. She left the house.” Teigann shook with worry.
“It’ll be okay. Mikes will be there soon and she’ll be safe.” I squeezed her hand to reassure her. “We’ll make sure she’s okay.” And I really hoped that she would be.