Status: Currently Under Revision

Desolate Truths

Four

Somehow, Max wound up running down an area east of town with smaller farmhouses spaced out every few miles. He was deep in thought with his confused buzzing thoughts, and did not hear Sheriff Mauvel calling his name as he drove alongside Max in the squadcar.

“Max!” He waved his hand out of the driver’s side. Max was not even wearing his EarPods, and he did not hear his name.

“Hi, Sheriff. Sorry, I was in the zone, I guess.” Max ran his fingers through his hair slightly embarrassed, and walked across the narrow road to the squadcar.

“Well, I think we have found a person connected with the investigation that knows the next drop off location, and it’s going to be real soon,” Sheriff Mauvel narrowed his eyes before waving Max to the passenger’s side. “Hop in.”

Placing the fax back down on the table slowly, he turned to the sheriff, and another young man whom apparently had previous involvement with the men in charge of the crime. The information the young man gave had Max hesitant, perhaps a diversion, and the information receieved from headquarters convinced Max he needed to keep a close eye on him.

"I have a kid on the way now. I can't be involved in this anymore," the young man stated as he sat across from Max, who sat quietly and ran through different options mentally.

"We'll have you go with Max tonight, as requested," Sheriff Mauvel nodded next to him. "and he'll make the rest of the arrangements. Shep, you and Joe will keep in town as normal, as we discussed.

Everyone stood, Joe eying Max before walking out behind Shep.

After their meeting, Sheriff Mauvel drove Max back to Sarah’s.

“Maybe it’s better that you don’t get involved,” Sheriff Mauvel warned. “It might be complicated.”

Max snapped his head up to look back at the sheriff as he opened the car door.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He stepped out of the car.

“I’m just sayin’. Not that I know what you’re thinkin’ and all.” Sheriff Mauvel shrugged. “I’ll see you tomorrow for our debriefing,"

Max turned and waved as he walked up the stairs to the house.

A wave of anxiety passed over Max as he thought about the event taking place during the evening, and he wanted to have Magda off the street and nowhere near the scene.

Inhaling sharply as he opened the door, he decided to change from the sweatpants and shirt from this morning and out to find Magda.

“That you Max?” Sarah called from the living room as soon as Max closed the front door. “That was an awfully long jog.” She eyed the clock.

Max stepped into the room as Sarah placed a book back down on her lap.

“Sheriff picked me up to do some work." Max replied. He put his hands in his sweatpants pockets and leaned against the doorframe.

“I see. Well, ya hungry now? I can whip ya up somethin’.” She stood and placed her book on the coffee table.

“If it's no trouble,"Max smiled, and followed Sarah into the kitchen as she went on a tangent about her cooking.

After Sarah had finished preparing lunch, she served him a bowl and sat across from him.

“This smells incredible, what is it?” Sarah smiled, “It’s my three bean and chili beef stew. I usually make it for my guests for lunch,” She shrugged, but kept her smile.

“It’s great.” Max ate it quickly and took a biscuit that Sarah pulled from the oven.

“So, I was wondering, since everyone was talking last night, what do you know about The young lady that lives at the end of the road?" Max quietly asked as he waited for Sarah to serve him seconds.

“What do ya want to learn about her for?” Sarah turned around slowly to glower at him.

“Just curious,” He shrugged.

Sarah handed him his bowl. “She don’t like no one and won’t talk to no one. It’ll be better if ya just forget about her.” Sarah twisted herself into the seat across from Max. “So when ya headin’ back up North?”

“Probably in a few days, the case is wrapping up.” Sarah grew quiet.

“Oh, well maybe I can visit ya when I go see my cousin in New Hampshire, huh?” Sarah asked excitedly.

“Sure,” Max smiled respectfully, his mind still on Magda.

After lunch, Max decided to go to the coffee shop and see if she would show up so he could talk to her. He did not want to feel intrusive by going up to her house again. He made the mistake of mentioning it to Sarah, and she insisted on coming along.

“I want to talk ta Mary about a few things anyway.” She called from upstairs as Max waited in the front of the house for her.

The town was quiet, as usual, this afternoon, and the coffee shop appropriately reflected the town’s atmosphere.

“Hi there Max!” Mary greeted as Max and Sarah walked into the coffee shop, Sarah giggling at something Max had mentioned.

“Hi, Mary, how are you?” Max walked over to the counter. Sarah began rearranging some snacks on display in front of the counter.

“Ya need to get your eyes checked, Mary, if ya think this jigsaw mess looks attractive t' customers.” She ridiculed.

“It’s fine, Sarah! Will ya leave it be?” Mary retorted and scurried over to stop her sister as Max slid over to seat facing Main street, hoping to catch a glimpse of Magda walking from her house on the hill.