‹ Prequel: Love Bites

Bittersweet Memories

The Worst Things In Life Come Free to Us

When I got home last night, I was really upset. No matter how hard I tried to bury it, it was written all over my face. I went straight to bed and didn't speak to anyone. Once again, Klaus went to bed with me and stayed all night just for comfort. He didn't ask what was wrong, he knew I didn't want to talk about it.

I woke up in the morning and I felt hungover. I felt like I was up all night drinking, or spent hours ripping pathetic humans to shreds. The sun coming through the windows wasn't helping, either.

"Good morning." I heard Klaus' voice behind me. I turned over in bed to face him, only to frown because now the sun was even more in my face. He grabbed me and quickly flipped us over so I was now laying on his side of the bed. "Better?"

"It helps." I smiled. "Thanks for last night."

"I didn't do anything, lovely." He smiled at me. "Breakfast?"

"Sure." I nodded. "Stefan gave me deer blood last night, it was...interesting."

"Deer blood? I take it he's back on the wagon."

"I guess so." I said as I shut my eyes and moved in a little closer to him. "I just wanna stay in bed all day."

"I know it must of been hell, having to see Damon yesterday."

"How did you know?"

"It was written all over your face last night. It's okay if you don't wanna talk about it, I understand. I know it would be awkward...all things considering.."

"We had a huge confrontation. It was what I should of done all along instead of running." I told him. "But if you're worried about me wanting him back, don't be. All I want out of Damon is for him to suffer."

"Well, if you want him to suffer, love. I can make that happen."

"No, Niklaus." I shook my head. "If anybody is making him suffer, it's me."

"Fine, have it your way."

I was confused about this whole 'thing' Klaus and I have going on. I can admit, I do like him. I'm trying my hardest to not let myself feel anything for him though, I don't want to be hurt again. This feels all too much like a repeat of what happened with Damon. He's the bad guy all my friends hate, and yet, that doesn't matter to me. He's done horrible, unforgivable things, but yet...here I am.

I also tried fixing Damon, a mistake I will never make with Klaus. Damon and Klaus also have one huge thing in common. Elena. I'm second to Elena in Damon's eyes, and I'm second to Elena in Klaus' eyes. He cares more about making hybrids than anything, which he needs Elena's blood for. I can't allow myself to be second to Elena again. I need to talk to Caroline.

"I think I'm gonna skip breakfast and go over to Caroline's. Do you mind?" I asked

"I guess not, we'll see each other later then?" Klaus asked as his face inched closer to mine.

"Yes." I nodded as his lips connected with mine. He pushed me down a bit and hovered over me, deepening the kiss. We heard the door being knocked on but just ignored it. Until the knocks turned into bangs, which was killing the mood.

"Five other people in this house and they can't answer the damn door!" Klaus said as he swiftly pulled away from me and went downstairs. I heard the door open and Klaus yelling. "What the hell are you doing here?! Have you come to die?"

"Where's Savannah! I need to talk to her!" I heard Bonnie's voice downstairs. I better get down there before they try to kill each other. I slipped on a pair of sweatpants and was at the door in seconds. Bonnie saw me and let herself in. "Savannah!"

"What's wrong, Bonnie?" I asked. By the pained expression on her face, this wasn't going to be good. Klaus stared her down before shutting the door. Amazed that she just let herself in his house.

"Is there somewhere we can talk in private? Where nobody would hear us?" She asked

"You barge in my house and you ask for privacy? Are you crazy, witch?" Klaus crossed his arms over his chest.

"I meant the three of us, Klaus." Bonnie corrected herself. "Please, put a shirt on."

Klaus went to put on a shirt then we followed him up to our bedroom. I shut the door behind us and Bonnie started performing a privacy spell. "What's going on?" I asked

"Esther isn't here, right?"

"Start talking, Bonnie. Now." Klaus ordered. "What is so important that you felt the need to actually come into my house?"

"I'm going to kill you. You and your family."

"Excuse me? I will end your life right now!"

"Stop! Stop!" I yelled. "Bonnie? What the hell?"

"The night of your house warming party, your mother performed a spell and laced your drinks with Elena's blood. She connected you and your siblings together in order to kill all of you. She can't do it alone so she's drawing power from my families bloodline. My mother and I, we can't stop her."

"I'm not stupid, Bonnie. I've known a lot of witches in my lifetime. You need a sacrificial lamb, none of my siblings are crazy enough to do that."

"Why don't you ask Finn what he thinks?"

How come everyone is always trying to kill my boyfriends and potential boyfriends? I took a seat on the edge of my bed and just held my head in my hands. This is all too much, it's always too much.

"Why are you telling me this? You'd love to see me dead."

"Because of her." I picked my head up and looked over at the two of them. "No matter how I feel about you, I'm not gonna make the same mistake twice. I wish I could help, I do. My hands are tied."

"I'll take care of it." After Bonnie left, I just sat there in shock. How the hell are they gonna stop this from happening? "Are you still going to Caroline's?"

"What? No!" I shot up from the bed. "No way! I'm staying here with you until we can figure something out!"

"No, Savannah." Klaus said, walking towards me. "Just go to Caroline's, everything will be fine. I just have to tell Elijah, the two of us will think of something. It's gonna be okay."

"But Niklaus!"

"No 'buts', lovely. Nobody is dying, well, at least I'm not."

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay?"

"I'll be okay."

I nodded my head then went off to get dressed while Klaus went downstairs to find Elijah. Once I was dressed, I did my hair and put a bit of makeup on. When I went downstairs, I found Klaus and Elijah talking in the kitchen. They were discussing what Bonnie told us and how they're going to deal with it.

"Well, I'm off. I'll see you guys later." I announced from the doorway. Klaus nodded and walked me out. I quickly wrapped my arms around him and held on tight. Now, I'm more confused than I was earlier. But now I'm angry, so that has to mean something. "Stay safe, okay?"

"Don't worry about me, Savannah." He said, gently smoothing my hair out. "Go."

"I'll call you later, okay?"

Klaus nodded his head at me. "When this is over with, we'll go somewhere nice, okay? Anywhere you want. Just pick a place in the world and we'll go. Alright?"

I nodded my head slowly and Klaus gave me a kiss before sending me off.

Image


Before going to Caroline's, I had to make one tiny stop. Elena's house. I was just in time, she was leaving her house, ready to get into her car. I quickly ambushed her and slammed her against the building. I wrapped my hand around her throat and started to squeeze. Immediately, she grabbed my hand with both of hers, trying to pry me off. This will be the first time I've spoken to her since I got back.

"Why?" I questioned her.

"What? What are you talking about?" She said the best she could. I was choking the life out of her.

"Are you out to get me? Why do you have to take everything away from me? Why can't I just be happy!" I screamed at her, releasing her from my grip so she could explain herself.

"Savannah! I had no choice, I swear! One way or another, Esther was going to get my blood." She tried explaining. "I'm sorry! Okay?! I am sorry for everything!"

"You're not sorry. You're the number one person who wants Klaus dead!"

"Yes, you're right! I do want him dead, more than anything! Sorry that I don't want to be his walking blood bank!" Elena screamed. "But I never wanted to hurt you, please! You have to believe that!"

"I can't believe that, not after all that has happened." I told her. "You didn't care about hurting me, if you did, I would of heard this from you and not Bonnie. You don't care how much I suffer as long as you're happy."

"That's not true, Savannah. You know it's not." I love you, Savannah! I'm so sorry!"

My hand was at her throat once again. "You don't get to tell me how sorry you are right after you admit you want Klaus dead! If I didn't care so much about Stefan, I'd kill you right now and end it all!"

But I didn't. I released her and let her fall to the ground. I watched as she gasped for breath before getting into my car and leaving. I drove straight to Caroline's house, I really needed to talk to her. I just didn't know what I'd say. I knocked on her door and she answered on the second knock.

"Hey, Savannah. What's up?"

"I need to talk to you." I said as she let me inside. "I need some serious girl talk!"

"I made coffee, I'll get us some." Caroline smiled and I followed her into the kitchen. "What's wrong?"

"Klaus." I huffed as Caroline passed me a cup of coffee and sat across from me. "I need your advice."

"Shoot."

I took a deep breath, knowing she wouldn't like anything I was about to say to her. "I think I really like him."

"WHAT?!" She yelled, spitting out her coffee. "Klaus? The Klaus that tried to kill you? Who turned Tyler, your friend and my boyfriend into a hybrid? I'm sorry, I'm not gonna judge. Continue."

"Caroline, I've been living with him since I got back. Not to mention all the time we spent together while we were away. It's just...I see something different in him that nobody else sees. I know I sound crazy, but its true. I don't know what to do about this." I told her. "I feel like a broken record, I'm sure I said all of this about Damon and-"

"And look what happened!" I sent her a glare and she smiled. "Sorry. It's just, we all warned you about Damon and look what happens. Klaus is your resident evil hybrid and this has bad written all over it."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Um, hello!" Caroline yelled. "Move back in with your dad and stay as far away from Klaus and his crazy family as possible."

"Not an option." I told her. "Give me the advice you'd give me if he was just some normal, regular guy."

Caroline sighed and poured us some more coffee. "I'd tell you, if you see something in him, even if nobody else can see it...it must count for something."

"I just don't want a repeat of what happened with Damon. I loved him so much and well..you know the story. Klaus has strong desire for Elena's blood, I don't want to come second to her again."

"I totally get it. You're just gonna have to take a chance if you really wanna be with him. Do you...really wanna be with him?"

"I..I wasn't sure before. But the fear of possibly losing him made me realize that maybe I do."

I went to rest my forehead against the table but started hitting my head against it instead. "Savannah! Stop it! You'll ruin the marble and my mother will kill you."

I began to laugh and lifted my head up. "What's gonna happen to us? We're not exactly on the same side in all of this."

"We can't let this come between our friendship, no matter how hard it's gonna be. Believe me, it's gonna be tough."

We sat around for hours and talked about random stuff. I frequently texted Klaus to make sure everything was going okay and he was still alive. Caroline and I talked about everything under the sun, I even told her about the current situation. I was surprised to know she knew nothing about it, I was also glad. Eventually, the conversation shifted to Damon.

"We had a huge blow out last night. Nothing was solved, it literally did nothing for me but open old wounds." I told her.

"When you got back, he told me he was still in love with you."

"He can't be in love with me and Elena, it doesn't work that way." I laughed. "It's his loss."

"Would you take him back? Ever?"

"I still love him, Caroline." I admitted. "After everything, no matter how much I want to hate him. I still love him and that's why it still hurts. I'm not in love with him though, I'd never go back to him. He doesn't deserve me."

"Good! You're too good for him! You're too good for Klaus, too. But what do I know?"

A few more hours passed and I walked to her about the situation with Rachel. Caroline told me to just take things slow and not to force anything on her. She's right, the last thing I want to do is make her push me away. Eventually, Caroline got a phone call from Bonnie. I could hear her voice on the other line and immediately shot up from the couch when I heard her crying.

"CAROLINE! ITS MY MOM! SHE..SHE...DAMON TURNED HER TO SAVE ELENA!"

"Let's go." Caroline said as soon as she hung up the phone.