Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Two, Earth

22

/////Zuko's POV\\\\\

After being sick for such a long time, I was happy to be working in Uncle's new tea shop, the Jasmine Dragon. I felt like a new me, and I no longer felt conflicted. I couldn't wait to see Sam again, to tell her about my sudden new view on the world.

We had just closed the shop, and I was finishing up sweeping the floors, when a man dressed in royal robes came in. He went straight to Uncle, and handed him an envelope. "A message from the royal palace," he said, bowing, and walking away.

"I... I can't believe it," Uncle gasped, and I abandoned my sweeping. "What is it, Uncle?" I asked, walking over.

"Great news," he said, grinning. "We've been invited to serve tea to the Earth King!" He quickly ran off, back towards the kitchen, preparing everything I assumed.

I just smiled at his excitement, and continued to sweep the floors.

/////\\\\\

The next day, the carriage dropped us off in front of the palace. Uncle had a large box in his hands, that was full of his tea. He hadn't stop talking about how excited he was all morning, and I couldn't help but be proud of him.

"Many times I imagined myself here, at the threshold of the palace," he said, smiling as he walked. "But I always thought I would be a conquerer. Instead, we are the Earth King's personal guests, here to serve him tea. Destiny is a funny thing."

"It sure is, Uncle," I agreed.

We were led to a room with a small table and large throne. We quickly set up the tea, and poured ourselves a cup, while waiting.

"What's taking so long?" I asked, after we had been waiting for what seemed like ages.

"Maybe the Earth King over slept," Uncle offered.

A moment later, a large group of men in hats filed in, and circled around us.

"Something's not right," I murmured to Uncle, looking around warily.

"It's tea time," a girl's voice chimed, walking into the room. I looked up to see none other than my sister.

I stood up, glaring. "Azula," I hissed.

"Have you met the Dai Lee?" she asked, tilting her head. "They have a killer instinct that's so... firebender. I just love it."

Uncle picked up his tea cup before he responded. "Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname The Dragon of the West?" he asked calmly.

"I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, Uncle," Azula sighed, studying her nails.

"More of a demonstration, really," Uncle corrected, and took a sip of his tea.

I smirked, and quickly ducked behind him as fire flew from his mouth, creating the distraction we needed to run out of the room. We dashed down the hall, and Uncle used lightning to break through the wall. He jumped through, landing in some bushes, and looked back up at me.

"Come on!" he shouted. "You'll be fine!"

"No," I told him, standing my ground. "I'm tired of running. It's time I faced Azula." I turned, only to see my sister surrounded by the Dai Lee.

"You're so dramatic," she spat. "What? Are you going to challenge me to an Agni Kai?"

"Yes," I stated. "I challenge you."

"No thanks," she smirked.

Enraged, I sent a fire ball towards her, but the Dai Lee jumped out and raised the rock floor, stopping the fire in its tracks and sending their rock gloves my way. They held my feet to the ground, and I lost my footing. I shot my hand out to catch myself, but as soon as I did, another glove held me there. Azula calmly walked away, and I was soon following, forced by the Dai Lee.

They took me to a lot behind the palace, where they opened the ground up, and threw me down the chute. I tumbled down, and landed on my face, where I sat for a few seconds.

"Zuko," a girl's voice gasped, and I looked up slightly, hoping it was Sam. I was disappointed, however, to see it was Katara.

The hole that brought me here closed, and I became slightly terrified at the evil look that the waterbender was giving me.

"Why did they throw you in here?" she demanded, pacing behind me. "Oh wait, let me guess, it's a trap. So that when Aang shows up to help me, you can have him in your little Fire Nation clutches."

I just looked over my shoulder at her, and turned back around. I should say something, maybe ask her about Sam.

"You're a terrible person, you know that?" Katara snapped. "Always following us, hunting the Avatar, trying to capture the world's last hope for peace? Kidnapping my best friend? But what do you care? You're the Fire Lord's son. Spreading war, and violence, and hatred is in your blood."

"You don't know what you're talking about," I told her, turning slightly.

"I don't?" she exploded. "How dare you. You have no idea what this war has put me through. Me, personally. The Fire Nation took my mother away from me."

I turned to see her kneeling on the ground, shaking.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, and I could hear her sobbing. "That's something we have in common."

I could tell I had her attention. "I'm sorry I yelled at you before," she sighed, looked down.

"It doesn't matter," I told her, standing, and looking away.

"It's just that... for so long now, when I pictured the face of the enemy... it was your face," she confessed, and I turned away, touching my scar.

"My face," I repeated. "I see."

"No, that's... that's not what I meant," she rushed.

"It's okay," I told her. "I used to think this scar marked me. The mark of the Banished Prince. Cursed to chase the Avatar forever. But lately... I've realised that I'm free to chose my own destiny. Even if I'm never free of this mark."

"Maybe you could be free of it," Katara spoke up.

My eyes widened. "What?"

"I have healing abilities," she told me.

"It's a scar," I said. "It can't be healed."

She reached into her robe, and pulled out a small vial. "This is water from the spirit oasis in the North Pole," she said. "It has special properties, so I've been saving it for something important. I don't know if it would work, but..."

I closed my eyes, and I felt her hand touch my scar. Suddenly, the wall beside us burst, and we quickly turned to face the Avatar and Uncle.

"Aang!" Katara yelled, and rushed over to hug him.

He glared at me, and I glared back, as Uncle attacked me in a hug as well.

"Uncle, I don't understand," I said, pointing at the Avatar. "What are you doing with the Avatar?"

"Saving you, that's what," the monk spat, and I made a move to launch at him, but Uncle held me back.

"Zuko," he said, "it's time we talked." He then turned to the Avatar and the waterbender. "Go and help your other friends," he told them. "We'll catch up with you."

The Avatar bowed, before running off.

"Why, Uncle?" I asked, turning away.

"You're not the man you used to be, Zuko," he replied. "You are stronger, and wiser, and freer than you have ever been. And now, you have come to the crossroads of your destiny. It's time for you to choose. It's time for you to choose... good."

Before I could respond, the ground shook, and crystals rose from the ground, surrounding Uncle.

I turned, raised my arms, prepared to defend. Two Dai Lee, followed by Azula dragging Sam came out of a small hole in the wall. Sam had her hands bound, and a piece of cloth was crammed between her teeth.

"I expected this kind of treachery from Uncle," Azula spat. "But Zuko... Prince Zuko. You're a lot of things, but you're not a traitor. Are you?"

Sam squirmed, and tried to speak through her gag, but I couldn't understand her.

"Release him immediately," I ordered, motioning to my uncle.

"It's not too late for you, Zuko," Azula said, cocking her head. "You can still redeem yourself."

Sam was screaming now, and Azula threw her to the Dai Lee. I watched in horror as she fell to the ground, unable to get up.

"The kind of redemption she offers is not for you," Uncle advised.

"Why don't you let him decide, Uncle," Azula glowered. "I need you, Zuko. I plotted every move of this day. This glorious day, in Fire Nation history. And the only way we win, is together. At the end of this day, you will have your honor back. You will have Father's love. You will have everything you want."

Sam struggled more, and the Dai Lee had to use two hands each to restrain her.

"Zuko," Uncle said again. "I am begging you. Look into your heart, and see what it is that you truly want."

With Azula and Iroh speaking like this, it reminded me so much of my dream, with the two dragons. My head hurt, and I wish they would just stop talking. My eyes fell to Sam, who had terror etched into her eyes. She was trying to tell me something - but what? I closed my eyes, looking down, hoping the headache would go away.

"You're free to choose," Azula stated, and with a raise of her arm. the Dai Lee pushed Sam back to Azula, who grabbed her. The two men rose back up the way they came, and Azula pulled the still struggling Sam out, heading in the same direction the Avatar had taken.

/////Sam's POV\\\\\

I really hoped that Zuko understood what I was trying to tell him. He had to stay away from Azula. He had to.

When Azula dragged me out of the space that Zuko and Iroh were, I did everything in my power to get away from her, and to reach out to them - all in vain. I was dragged down a tunnel, and when we reached a huge tavern, full of crystals and other minerals, with a large, underground stream. Aang and Katara were sprinting away, and I tried to scream against the gag, but it was muffled.

Azula shot her blue fire seconds later, and luckily Aang pushed Katara out of the way, and blocked her attack by raising the earth. Katara then rushed out of their shelter, and aimed the water towards Azula. Her eyes caught mine, and she hesitated, but I shook my rapidly.

As the water rushed towards us, Azula's grip slackened, and I took that as my opportunity to duck away and hide behind a large bundle of crystals.

I heard sounds of water and fire clashing, and steam soon wafted towards me. I was panting, and terrified.

Come on, I thought, trying to focus on my inner fire, like Iroh had taught me long ago. I put all my energy to my wrists, but nothing happened. I groaned in frustration, and instead used my knees to pull the gag out of my mouth. I gasped for air, and shakily stood up, peeping over the crystals to see what was going on.

Azula stood inbetween Aang and Katara, looking between them, unsure of her next move. My two friends were glaring, daring her to act, and ready to defend.

Searching behind me for a sharp crystal, I heard movement to my left, and turned sharply to see Zuko. Before I could shout, he sent a blast of fire directly inbetween Aang and Azula. They all looked over and stared at him in shock, while I sunk to the ground.

"No," I begged in a whisper. "No! Zuko, please!" I was screaming, and I felt hot tears streaming down my face.

He ignored me, and I desperatly wanted to slap him, make him see sense. Instead, he made his way closer to the three, and shot a blast of fire at Aang.

"No!" I screeched, and finally found a sharp enough crystal. I sawed away at the rope binding me, but nothing happened.

I watched as Zuko was thrown back by a blast of air from Aang, and he landed at my feet. "Zuko, please," I begged. "You don't have to do this. Please, I'm begging you."

"Are you alright?" he asked me, quickly standing up, and facing Aang.

"No!" I shouted, sobbing. "No, I'm not! Stop being an idiot!"

He glared slightly at me, before rolling out of the way of Aang, who was flying right towards us. Zuko quickly jumped away, and Aang tried to untie me. "Sam, are you hurt?" he asked, struggling with the knot."

"Nevermind me," I told him, pushing him away. "Get out of here, please. I lost my family, I can't loose you too."

"I'm not going anywhere," he smiled. "We're all getting out of here, I promise."

Before I could respond, I saw fire flying towards us. With wide eyes, I shoved him away with my shoulder (as I was still tied), and rolled out of the way, right before we would've been killed.

I looked up at Zuko in pure shock, and I saw regret in his eyes, that was quickly replaced by hate when he set his eyes on Aang.

I closed my eyes, focusing more than ever. I prayed that I could produce at least a small flame, just enough to burn through the rope. The outside world dissolved around me, and a warm, welcoming heat started at my finger tips, and made it's way to my wrists. I felt the binding rope dissolve, and when I finally opened my eyes, I gasped at the completely new scene in front of me.

At least fifty Dai Lee agents, along with Zuko and Azula, were surrounding my friends. Katara's hair had fallen from its braid, and she had bent a water octopus around herself. Aang had a mean look in his eye that made me cringe. His face suddenly changed into a scared one. I saw him mutter something to himself, before putting himself in a crystal teepee.

Katara seemed as shock as I was, and without a second thought, I dashed out, creating a fire whip once more, and started slashing. I didn't care if I hurt anybody, I was too enraged. When the Dai Lee all raised rocks in sync, I realized my mistake. There was no way I could escape this.

The boulders came rushing at me, and I stared at them head on.

"No, stop!" Azula and Zuko demanded at the same time, and the rocks skidded to a halt, before dropping to the ground. I sent a confused look to Katara, who looked at me with the same amount of confusion.

"She's to be unharmed, and taken to the Fire Lord alive, and in one piece," Azula stated, never wavering from her stance.

Before I could react, the rock handcuffs were around my wrists again, and I was being propelled into the arms of a Dai Lee agent.

It was several minutes later when the crystals surrounding Aang started to glow, and I had to squint to keep my eyes on them. As the light grew brighter, everyone stepped back, slightly scared. A beam of light suddenly burst out the top, and Aang rose into the air, his eyes and arrow tattoos glowing.

He was in the Avatar State.

I grinned at his power, knowing what would come next.

Instead, lightning struck the air, and my eyes filled with tears as Aang fell to the ground. Something roared behind me, and I strained my neck to see Katara riding in on a wave. Knowing what was coming, I closed my eyes and clung to the nearest person - who happened to be Zuko - and held my breath, right as the wave crashed over us.

When the water disappeared, I instantly let go of Zuko, giving him a look of disgust, and fear.

He gave me a look of sorrow, before sharing a look with Azula, and they stalked towards my friends. Fire interrupted their path, and I looked up to see Iroh staring down at us. He swiftly jumped down, and stood in front of Katara, who clutched Aang to her chest.

"You've got to get out of here!" he told them. "I'll hold them off as long as I can!"

Katara's eyes met mine, and I nodded, standing up, and starting to rush over.

An arm caught my waist, and I yelped as I was physically pulled back behind Zuko. "She stays," he spat, and my eyes widened as I struggled. The warm feeling started at my fingers again, and fire enveloped my hands.

Zuko hissed, pulling back from me immediately. "How did you do that?" he asked.

"The legend," Azula muttered. "The legend is coming into power. Do not let her escape!"

Katara was hesitating, staring at me.

Zuko grabbed me again, and this time, no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get the fiery feeling to come back. I was trapped.

"Go," I told her, as a tear slid down my cheek. "Get Aang out of here, please. Save him."

"I'm sorry," she whispered, just loud enough for me to hear. "We'll come back for you. I promise."

I nodded, and she used the water to send herself and Aang upward, flying towards the surface.

Iroh sent flame after flame, taking out many Dai Lee. As soon as Katara and Aang were out of sight, he relaxed, and allowed himself to be taken prisioner.

Zuko still had hold of me, and I fell limp in his arms, crying to myself. I felt him pull me closer to his chest, and I weakly tried to fight him, but soon gave up.

I could only hope that my friends made it out of the city alive.

/////\\\\\

Azula sat on the Earth King's former throne. Zuko stood, emotionless, next to her, and I still had the rock cuffs around my wrists. They had taken Iroh into custody, but Azula refused to let me leave her sight. Why, I didn't know.

"We've done it, Zuko," Azula finally spoke. "It's taken a hundred years, but the Fire Nation has conquered Ba Sing Se."

"I betrayed Uncle," Zuko said, more to himself than to anyone else.

"No," Azula corrected, "he betrayed you. Zuko, when you return home, Father will welcome you as a war hero."

"But I don't have the Avatar," Zuko reminded her, looking away, and accidentally locking eyes with me. "What if Father doesn't restore my honor?"

"He doesn't need to, Zuko," Azula comforted, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Today, you restored your own honor."

And then she walked out, leaving us alone. I hated her.

"Sam," Zuko then said, turning to me. "You haven't said anything since..." He trailed off, and I did nothing but stare at him coldly. "Please," he begged. "Just say something."

"I asked you to stop," I whispered. "I begged you to not help Azula. And you didn't listen." He looked at me sadly, and I raised my voice. "I hate you, Zuko."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's over! I'll post the unedited version of the summary for When World Collide: Book Three, Fire soon to get you pumped up ;) I've started WWC3 already, but won't post it for a couple of weeks, to keep you in suspense and on your toes. You can hate me, it's okay :)