Chill

Four

I went to school Monday morning looking forward to seeing Logan Solano. The second I entered the school, I saw him leaning against his locker, alone. I smiled to myself and walked over to him, eager to see what his reaction would be.

I had always passed him in the hallway before, but this time was different. He had smiled at me. Maybe it was foolish of me to think that meant something, but it was the first time a boy had ever so much as asked me for a pencil.

“Allie!” Marissa was running up to me, a binder tucked under her left arm as usual. “How was your weekend?”

“It was... great,” I said nervously, glancing over at Logan to make sure he was still alone. He was.

Marissa studied me. “You’re… nervous. What’s up?”

I looked around once more and decided there were too many people around. I pulled Marissa over to the side of the hallway and hurriedly told her what happened at the coffee shop over the weekend.

“Logan Solano smiled at you?!” she asked incredulously.

“Shhh!” No one seemed to have heard. I turned back to Marissa. “What do I do? Am I just reading into things too much?”

Marissa smiled. “Only one way to find out.”

She grabbed my shoulders and turned me in Logan’s direction. It felt like I had been talking to Marissa forever, even though it had only been a couple of minutes. Still, with Logan’s popularity, it was a wonder he was still alone.

“Go talk to him,” Marissa instructed. “If he smiles at you, that’s a good sign. If he stops and talks, that’s even better.”

I gulped. I had been planning to do this anyway, but I wasn’t exactly the most outspoken person in school… that would be Marissa. I was her polar opposite.

Still, if he had smiled at me, it had to mean something. It just had to. And I would find out what it was.

I steeled myself up and walked over to Logan, putting on my best smile.

“Hi,” I said to him, my tone full of confidence.

He took one look at me, a smile playing at the corners of his lips. My heart leapt.

Then he glanced over my shoulder and back at me, scoffing. He walked away without another word.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm working on a character page.
I adore comments.