Chill

Eight

Football games were loud.

Students ran up and down the bleachers during every quarter of the game. Children cried, the band blasted their music, the scoreboard announcements were way too loud, and, of course, the rowdy fans cheered for their respective teams.

But I couldn’t hear any of it. I stared blankly down at the football field, mindlessly watching beefy guys slamming into each other. The first quarter ended. I continued watching without really comprehending.

“Allie. Allie, that’s enough. Snap out of it.”

I blinked. Marissa was glancing at me with concern evident in her baby blue eyes.

“You’re worrying me, Allie. Don’t give those cheerleaders the time of day. You know they just want to make you miserable. If you don’t show them how much it upsets you, they won’t bother you nearly as much,” Marissa continued.

If only that really worked.

I sighed. “Maybe I wouldn’t be moping around so much if you had actually been there when they cornered me.”

I regretted saying it almost immediately. Marissa looked hurt now, and I felt terrible.

“I told you I was trying to give you time alone with Logan,” Marissa repeated, pain in her tone. “I didn’t expect him to leave so quickly or for the cheerleaders to pop up out of nowhere. I’m sorry.”

I twirled my hair around my finger, still ashamed for snapping. “It’s okay. Don’t worry about it. I didn’t mean to snap or accuse you of anything.”

The crowd suddenly started yelling insults and booing. Apparently, the refs made a bad call. I wouldn’t have known because I wasn’t paying attention.

“Do you really want to be here, Allie?” Marissa asked once the audience had quieted down. “We can go if you want.”

“No. He asked me to come, and I want to find out why.” If there was one thing I was sure of, it was that.

She gave me a wry smile. “If you say so.” She changed the subject. “Hey, have you talked to Kelsey lately?”

I looked down at the sidelines, where Kelsey was with the other cheerleaders. She was one of the few people who made our school colors – neon orange and white – look good. Her hair was up in a ponytail, and she was cheering along with the other girls. I smiled. She looked so happy there.

“No, not since Monday. She sits with the other cheerleaders at lunch all the time now, and I don’t have her for a class.” I frowned. “Come to think of it, we haven’t hung out recently.”

“Maybe we should have a sleepover!” Marissa bubbled.

The crowd started to buzz with excitement as our team drew closer to the end zone. I was barely paying attention to it all anymore. If it hadn’t been for Logan, I wouldn’t even be at the game.

“Maybe,” I agreed.

Half time came and went. By the time the game was almost over, we were winning, 38 – 31.

Marissa was on her feet with the rest of the audience, jumping up and down and cheering just as loudly as everyone else. I stayed sitting down, trying to read the book in my lap. For once, I wasn’t able to concentrate on it. My mind was too riled up on Logan.

I honestly didn’t know why I was so head over heels for him. All he had done was smile at me, bought me a donut and a cup of coffee, and talked to me a couple of times. There was just something about his smile, the way he paid attention to me those few times we talked, the way his eyes lit up when he saw me…

“And that’s the end of the game!” the announcer boomed.

I jumped. Marissa didn’t notice. She was still cheering along with the rest of the crowd. Our team had won.

I looked down to the football field. Logan – number #24 – was giving those guy hugs to the rest of his teammates, clapping them on the back, and high-fiving them.

But then he started to scan the crowd. Looking for someone. Looking for me.

I swear my heart just dropped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I'm soooo sorry for the super late update. I just haven't had any time to write. What with upcoming finals and stuff... yeah. But once the holiday gets here, I'll surely have time again.

I know I haven't touched much on exactly WHY Allie likes Logan, so I'll try to get to that in the next few chapters. I added a little bit of it here.

Special thanks to everyone that commented!