Status: Complete

It's Either War or Peace

29. I'm Going Hunting; I'm the Hunter

Katie Vereeka's Point of View

A year passed since the mini war with the demigods. Yes, it was summer now too. I haven’t seen Alice or even heard from her since last summer. It made me worried but visions told me I would see her soon. They just wouldn’t tell me how soon. Ugh.

Rip decided that it would be good for us to go to New York for vacation. Well, we’re here now. Guess what? It’s horrible. Our hotel wasn't in the forest so we always had to hide inside or else we would constantly be sparkling. Going outside sucked. I had to wear a sweater and long pants. People always stared at me and they wondered if I felt hot. Being a vampire you aren’t affected by warmth or cold that much. Thank God. Otherwise I would be boiling alive every day.

I slipped into my light blue sweater and switched my pajama shorts to black sweats. Time to go hunting. I put the hood of the sweater over my eyes (that were still red), waved goodbye to the coven, and slipped out the door. I rushed out of the hotel.

Once I was outside, the horrid smell of demigods flooded my nostrils. That was how I knew they were here somewhere. I just didn’t know where.

Want to know what else I hated about New York? I couldn’t hunt humans here. People would start noticing “sudden increase in death and missing rates” as Rip put it. Rolling the eyes moment. That meant I had to hunt animals. Ugh. They weren’t as satisfying but they were better than nothing.

I made it to the nearby forest in ten minutes and began my hunt immediately. Man was I thirsty. I pinned down a deer in seconds and sucked its blood out while it flailed its legs everywhere. When enough blood was gone, the legs dropped. It was dead.

I pulled away when I was finished. I stood up and started to run but then something stopped me. A vision. A vision of the future. There were four people. I recognized all of them. Two of were the kids I saw in the forest when I first turned into a vampire last summer. I wonder if the girl still remembers the pain I inflicted on her. Did the boy remember? The two of them stood in front of a girl with dark brown hair that had light brown tips. Mollee Chaine. Then I saw her. The girl with the median brown hair with black tips and sea-green eyes. The girl I actually want to be somewhat friends with.

Zoey Cornell.

A memorable scent flooded my nostrils. Zoey’s scent. After making sure no one was watching me, I followed the scent. It stopped miles away from where it first started. At first I only saw strawberry fields but then a celestial bronze gate appeared in the corner of my eye. I squinted to make sure I wasn’t imagining the wording. Camp Half-Blood. Isn’t this the place the demigods and Grover always talked about?

Zoey’s scent became excruciating. Mollee’s did too. Two new scents joined. Then I noticed that at the gate’s entrance were four people: the kids from the forest last summer, Mollee Chaine, and Zoey Cornell.

Checkmate.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Title Credits: "Hunter" by Thirty Seconds to Mars