Status: enjoy.

Postcards and Polaroids

Chapter 139.

I managed an hour of sleep that night. Kellin wasn’t so lucky. I turned over and looked up at him. His eyes bloodshot with dark circles underneath. I gently moved my hand down his arm, and locked mine in his, intertwining our fingers.

“She’s gonna be okay..” I whispered. He bit his lip.
“How do you know?” He said. His eyes were sad and tired. I wish he would just sleep.
“I.. I guess.. just mother’s intuition.” I said. He gave me a half smile, now hiding his face in my neck. I felt his lips gentle kiss before they moved into a smile. It felt nice having him smile again.
“What do you want to name her?” He asked. I sighed.
“I.. I don’t know.. I’d have to see her.” He nodded.
“She’s beautiful and.. different. She needs a different name.” I smiled, gently running my fingers through his hair.
“You’re right.” I said “Something different.”

Soon, there was a knock at the door.

“Come in..” I said. It was the nurse.
I sat up and stared at her, Kellin did the same. He climbed out of bed.
“Is she okay? Where is she?” He said. I hated seeing him like this.
“She’s going to be just fine.” She said. I sighed, and smiled, looking up at Kellin. She was going to be okay. I could see Kellin beaming.

“Can we see her?” He asked. The nurse smiled, and brought her into the room. She walked over, and gently placed her in my arms.
“She’s.. beautiful.” I whispered. Kellin climbed back next to me, leaning his head on my shoulder.
“I told you you did a good job.” He said.
She was so small, so precious, so perfect. I held her close. She was so warm. She then reached her hand to grab one of my fingers, and soon she was staring back at me.

She had Kellin’s eyes.

“Hello, baby.” I said. I felt her squeeze my finger tighter. “Hello, baby. I’m your mommy. And this is your daddy. And we love you very much.” I felt Kellin sigh behind me.
“Copeland” he said. I turned and looked at him. He stared back at me, biting his lip. “I like the name Copeland.” I smiled and stared back at her.

“Copeland it is.”