Status: enjoy.

Postcards and Polaroids

Chapter 20.

I woke up to the sound of Taylor knocking on my window. I smiled. I got up and opened the window.
“Well good morning” He said with a smile. I felt my cheeks get red.
“Good morning.” I threw on a sweater, and my hair in a pony tail. He was watching me.
“Nothing’s changed” He sighed. I knew what he meant.
When we were little, I was always the tomboy in the neighborhood, and now Taylor was used to the perfectly done up, cheerleader types. I’m surprised he even wanted to be seen with me.
“Let’s go” He said. I followed him out the window. The last thing I wanted was to have to deal with my mother right now. I climbed down to see Taylor’s motorcycle.
“Oh, no no no no no..” I said. I felt my face get red. He laughed.
“Jess, you’ll be fine. All you have to do is just hang onto me.” I shook my head.
“No way, Taylor.” He sighed, and grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the bike.
“Just trust me, okay?” He said, smiling at me. His teeth were perfectly straight, and perfectly white. All around, I always wondered why he wasn’t a model.
He helped me onto the bike. I could feel my heart beating faster.
“Now, just hold on and you’ll be fine, okay?” He said. I clung onto him as hard as I could. I could hear him giggle.
“It’s not funny” I said. He sighed.
“It’s a little funny” He said, before he took off.
I didn’t know where he was going. I just held on tight as the wind blew hard in my face. I hid it in Taylor’s back, getting rid of some of the impact. He smelt nice.
Finally, I felt the bike stop.
“Where are we?” I asked. He helped me off the bike.
“Look around” He said with a smile. I did. It was actually quite beautiful. The rising sun gave the place an orange tint. It looked like a abandoned wasteland; lots of dirt, surrounded by trees. But still beautiful.
“You still don’t remember, do you..” He said. I bit my lip. Apparently he did. I shook my head. He sighed.
“This is where we’d always run away to after school. This is where we’d hang out and talk because this place was ours. No one knew about it. Actually, to this day I still don’t think anyone knows about it.” I smiled. I remembered now.
“Oh, wow” I said. He smiled.
“And that’s the tree we always climbed. Come here” He brought me over to the tree. “The view is a little different now, but I still think it’s beautiful.” I climbed up after him. He brought me to the highest branch. I looked out and saw the orange wasteland. He was right. It is beautiful. I looked up at him. He was looking out at everything, smiling. I smiled at him. He was still the boy that would come out and play. I was happy to see that his model good looks and newfound athletic talent didn’t change him into the jerk that high school usually does.
“So…” He said. “High school is almost over, and we’ve barely talked. At least catch me up on your life.” I blushed.
“Well, what do you want to know?” He shrugged.
“I don’t know, do you have a boyfriend?” I felt my face get red.
“No” I quickly said. “What about you? Do you have a girlfriend?” He shook his head.
“Unfortunately, no.” He said. I laughed.
“What’s so funny?” He asked. I shook my head.
“You? You don’t have a girlfriend? Look at you, Taylor. You’re perfect. What about you isn’t to like?” He smiled.
“I could say the same thing about you, you know.” I blushed again, looking down.
“Well…” He said “Have you at least.. kissed a boy?” My face got redder.
“Yes” I said, still not looking up. Taylor didn’t hesitate.
“Was it Kellin?” He asked. I bit my lip.
“Yes” I said. I looked up. Taylor was looking away now. “You.. you don’t like him very much, do you?” I asked. He looked back at me.
“I just think you could do better.. You deserve someone who can give you the world.. I just don’t think he can do that.”