Status: enjoy.

Postcards and Polaroids

Chapter 8.

The car ride was mostly quiet. I spent most of the drive watching the trees pass by out the window. Kellin had one hand on the steering wheel, the other leaning on the arm rest. I glanced over, hoping he wouldn’t notice me staring. The sun was down now, but I got little glimpses of his perfect face whenever we passed a street light. Then he caught me.

“You do that a lot.” He said, smirking. I felt my face burn again. I quickly looked straight ahead.
“Do what?” I said, pretending not to know what he meant. I saw his smile get bigger.
“You watch me a lot.” He looked over. His big eyes and sweet smile seemed to hypnotize me. I stared back and couldn’t help but smile.
“So what if I do..” I finally said. There was no point in trying to hide it. He knew. I kept my eyes straight ahead.
“I watch you too, you know.” He said, looking back at the road. My face got red once again.
“You.. you do?” I asked. So, he liked to look at me, the way I looked at him? I doubt it. I practically undressed him with my eyes whenever I looked at him. There was no way.
He nodded.
“Mhm..” He said, with that same smirk. He sighed, and before I got to ask anymore questions, he interrupted.
“Are you coming to my house, or do you want me to take you home?”
“Well.. do you want me to come to your house?” I asked. I didn’t want to go home. Not when being with him was an option. He was always my first choice.
“Kinda..” He said, trying to hide that precious smile. I sighed.
“Then I’m going to your house.” He sped up, passing by my road.

It was quiet for a while. I slowly turned up the dial on the radio.
“Beauty queen of only 18, she had some trouble with herself..”

I looked up at Kellin.
“So, are you going to sing for me today?” I asked. I tried to sound hopeful, even though I really was. He peeked at me. He started singing.

“I was always there to help her, she always belonged to someone else..”

I leaned against the window, watching, and listening to him sing. His voice soothed me. I forgot where I was and just enjoyed the moment; the moment that we had together. Kellin never sang in front of anyone but me. So I enjoyed this special time we shared. He looked over at me when the chorus came around.

“And she will be loved, and she will be loved..”

I could feel my heart beating faster, and my cheeks burning again.
Every girl pictures their favorite singer, serenading them from the stage, ignoring all the other girls in the crowd, and singing straight to them. That’s how I felt. Kellin was my star, and right now, no one else mattered. He was singing to me.

The song faded out, he turned down the volume.

“You’re really good, you know.” I said. He laughed it off.
“I’m serious, you could really have an effect on people.” He smiled.
“Well, I’ve only sang for you.. does that mean I have an effect on you?” I face burned again.
“Um..” He got me. “Well, I..”
Thankfully, he pulled into his driveway. His mom’s car was parked in front of the garage. I heard him sigh, and his smile vanished. He looked back.
“Don’t think you got out of that so easily” He said, winking at me, before getting out of the car. I bit my lip. How did he manage to be so incredibly cute, and so incredibly sexy at the same time.
I got out of the car, and we both walked up to his house. Like every time I came over, Kellin would walk in first, and check to see if anyone was around. If not, he’d motion me inside so I knew the coast was clear. I got the head nod.
Kellin didn’t like bringing me in when his mom was right there. He liked to avoid all the “girlfriend” questions, and accusations of god knows what is going on in his room when we go up there together. Mrs. Quinn never truly believed that Kellin and I were only friends. I know I had a hard time accepting it myself as well.
I quickly followed him into his bedroom, when I heard voices in the hallway.
“Hi Jess” I heard. I turned around to see Celine, Kellin’s little sister. She had his eyes, but his mom’s light hair.
“Hey there Cell” I said.
“Not now, Cell” Kellin said “She’ll play later, okay?” Celine nodded and ran off into her room.

Kellin’s room wasn’t very big, but it was cute and cozy. It was my favorite place to be. Especially with him.
I put my things at the foot of his bed and sat down. He through off his sweatshirt and lied down next to me. I looked at him, he looked back at me.
“So” I said, breaking the stare “Am I actually gonna be able to get you to do your homework tonight?” He laughed.
“Probably not..” He said, rolling over. He shoved his face into his pillow. I sighed and gently ran my hand down his bare back. I heard a slight moan.
“Your hands are cold..” I could hear, muffled, from the pillow. I giggled.
“Sorry” I said. I took my hand away. He peeked up at me, I could see the smirk as he turned his head.
“I didn’t say I didn’t like it.” He said. I bit my lip, and gently ran my fingers up and down his back. He sighed.
After a little while, I gently moved my fingers up his neck into his hair, tangling it in my fingers. I heard him sigh again, as he rolled over and looked up at me. His big, blue eyes seemed to scan my face, then down my entire body, as if contemplating something.
“What?” I asked. He smiled, then gently ran his fingers up my arm. I could feel the goosebumps all over my entire body. He looked into my eyes. Soon, his fingers explored up onto my neck, to my cheek and eventually my lips. He moved his finger over, forcing me to smile. I laughed.
“So back to before..” He said. I knew that was too easy.
“What about before?” I asked. He sat up, now eye to eye with me.
“What kind of effect do I have on you?” He giggled.
I could go on about how every little thing he does makes me want to beam from ear to ear, how I want to hold him and never let go, and how I love him more than anyone I’ve ever known.. But I don’t.
“You don’t.” I said. He smiles.
“I think I do.” He says quietly. He gently takes my hand, intertwining the fingers. I look at my hand, and then back to him. He’s already staring at me, now staring into my eyes. I melt, but I quickly look away. He gently touches my chin and brings me back to his gaze. I feel my heart beat faster as he moves closer, finally leaning his forehead against mine.
There’s a loud knock at the door.
“Kellin!” It’s his mother. “Are you in there?” She already sounds drunk.
“Shiiiiiiiiiitttt..” He mumbles. He sighs, and gently moves away. I bite my lip.
The door opens.
“Kellin, what did I tell you about leaving the front door open. And you didn’t bring home milk like I asked you too. And I’m sure as hell you didn’t walk the dog when you got home, no, you don’t have time for those things, but you have plenty of time to come in here and make out with your girlfriend.”
She talked about me like I wasn’t even in the room.
Kellin’s face was bright red at this point, he hurried over to the door.
“Alright mom, I will. I’m sorry.” And he quickly shuts and locks it behind her. He looks over at me, his eyes big.
“I’m.. I’m really sorry about her..” He said, completely embarrassed.
“It’s fine.” I said. He looks at me, and bites his lip. Oh how badly I just wanted to kiss him. He comes back over and sits close to me on the bed. He looks at me for a little before gently brushing the hair away from my face.
“You’re too beautiful to be hiding behind your hair.” He says. I smile.
“So are you.” He blushes, and looks down.
“Shhh..” He says, smiling now. He gently runs his hand through my hair, pulling me closer, and gently kissing me on the forehead. My heart beats faster and my face get’s red. The usual drill.