Truly, Madly, Deeply

Jetson

Junior Year Goal: Get out of my comfort zone.

I was at my locker the first time I saw him. Or should I say the first time I really noticed him?
But I guess that would probably be because he and his girlfriend were fighting. They were in the stairway and she was yelling at him, waving her hands wildly around, his face was a mask of stone while she ranted. He could've been a Terracotta soldier the way he was standing, but his eyes gave him away. They were ablaze and obviously angry. The doors were closed, but I could still make out bits of what she was saying.

“I’m so sick of…You need to stop…I swear…One more time…And we’re over!”

The whole time he stood there I don’t think he said one thing. When she stormed up the stairs he didn’t go after her, he didn’t move at all. I went back to organizing my locker, deciding it probably wasn’t the best idea to get caught eavesdropping during their lover’s quarrel.

I heard something hit the wall and I looked up just in time to see him slam his fist into the wall a second time. He turned, breathing heavily and his raging eyes met mine. I quickly spun back to face my locker trying to close it before he could come over and confront me.

The door hit the wall. Footsteps echoed down the hall.

My hands started moving faster, but of course that made me more clumsy and my hair got caught in my bag which proceeded to get caught in my locker. Just my luck.

“How much did you hear?” I turned to see him standing next to me. The gentleness in his voice surprised me; I would’ve assumed he would be angry. I didn’t say anything. I just looked at him. I took in his blue eyes where the previous raging storm was now beginning to calm and his midnight hair that reminded me of ravens and that was effortlessly styled in a Mohawk.

“Do you talk? I asked you a question.” He got closer and this time there was an edge to his voice. The storm was still twisting inside of him and my heart started beating faster as I feared I was about to be caught up in that storm. He was trying to intimidate me, to show me that he could be scary when he wanted.

Well, he wouldn’t get the satisfaction. I took a deep breath.

“No,” He seemed to relax.

“I don’t talk.” I tried to close my locker, but realized I couldn’t because my hair and bag were still attached; I must’ve looked like an idiot.

He smirked when he noticed my problem. He raised his hand and I flinched. I don’t know why I flinched. His facial expression automatically changed, it was so quick, and I don’t know how I caught it.

“I won’t hurt you,” he said as he quickly untangled my hair and freed me from my locker, but not from my embarrassment. I practically ran from him.

Later I thought of what had happened, I had planned to leave all dramatically once he came up to me, but of course I was literally stuck there. I should’ve said something to him, but I didn’t because I’m a coward and he was a guy, a scary guy. I knew I didn’t need another one of those.

The next day at school, he was waiting for me by my locker. I almost turned and walked the opposite way, but I remembered my goal for this year. I walked right up to him.

“Can I help you?” I looked up at him. He didn’t look happy with me. I think he was trying to be scary again, but I could see a smile forming in his eyes. Oh, those eyes. I could get lost in those eyes.

“You can start by telling me your name.”

“It’s Jetson, but you can call me Jet,” I opened my locker and started putting away the books I had brought home with me last night. I was determined not to have a repeat of yesterday so I pulled my hair to the side before I closed my locker. He laughed because he saw through my action.

“Well, Jetson I would really appreciate it if-” He was cut off by Pete walking past us.

“Hey Jet, I can see you’ve expanded your business of whoring around. You do hipsters now too?” Pete didn’t stick around for me to say anything back. I’m not sure that I would’ve responded. I closed my locker and turned to the guy in front of me.

“You were saying?” I said with a heavy sigh. Damn Pete, no wonder I had problems.

“I was saying that my name is Kevin.” He was watching Pete’s retreating figure and he didn’t turn back to me until Pete had completely disappeared.

“Well Kevin, you can stop worrying. I didn’t hear anything yesterday other than you punching the wall. You can get back to your life now.” Again I left him standing at my locker, but this time I was proud with how I acted. I would’ve felt better if Pete hadn’t showed up.

Last year Pete and I were a couple. He was on the football team; I was in the honor society. Nobody really cared that we were dating, but that’s all that mattered to me. I was constantly focused on what we said to each other, if he complimented me, if I was good enough for him; the list goes on.

I was so happy with him until I realized he was abusive. After he hit me for the umpteenth time, I told him I wouldn’t take that anymore and he broke up with me. Pete didn’t want me to have the whole school believing that their golden boy was an insensitive, abusive jerk, so he told everyone that I cheated on him. After that nobody believed a word that came out of my mouth and of course, who wouldn’t believe a football player?