Truly, Madly, Deeply

Kevin

Junior Year Goal: Drop Caroline

She was crying the first time I saw her. I had heard what the football player was telling everyone; that she had cheated on him. I didn’t believe it. She wouldn’t do that. Not that I knew her, but I had a pretty good sense of people and she didn’t seem like that type of girl.

I wanted to go to her; to wrap my arms around her and carry her home, but I couldn’t. One reason was because of the girl that was currently attached to my hip. Caroline would not appreciate it if I picked up a random girl just because she was crying. I could just see her icy blue eyes narrowing in disgust. The other reason being that I had a reputation to uphold; the resident badass couldn’t go comforting cute girls.

That day I ignored her.

The second time I saw her was after I had a fight with Caroline. I had hurt my fist after punching the wall because she pissed me off so much. How the hell did she expect me to give her more attention? That’s what she was pissed about. She was angry that I had been late for one of our ‘dates’. I was feeding my brother, but she wouldn’t know that because she didn’t care about the little details, unless they were about her.

Back to the girl, I asked her what she heard. I think she was scared of me. She didn’t talk to me, but that’s probably because she was scared I might blow.

She tried to leave, but couldn’t because she somehow managed to intertwine her long, brown hair with her bag and her locker. When I lifted my hand to help her out, she cringed, like she was afraid I was going to hit her.

I don’t know who had hurt this girl, but I was determined to never let it happen again. She just found herself a new protector.

I waited for her the next day. I told myself it was because I wanted to know if she heard Caroline yelling at me, but I knew it was because I just wanted to see her face again. I really hoped she didn’t hear Caroline; I didn’t like people knowing things about me before they actually knew me.

Once she showed up and I got her to tell me her name, I was interrupted by that stupid ex-boyfriend of hers. He called her a whore. I wanted to kill him, but that would probably scare her even more. I watched as the football player strutted away before turning back to her. She left, but not before telling me that she didn’t hear a thing.

Was he the one that had her scared? Had he hit her?

I almost called out to her, but I didn’t think she wanted anything to do with me. Why would she?