Broken Strings and Broken Dreams

We make the sun shine

When I woke up on Monday, I knew it was going to be different.

I wasn't sure how or if it would be good or bad but strangely, that was okay with me.

I hadn't seen Alex since very early Sunday morning when he took me home but that was because I told him I had homework to do, because I did. He'd gotten fussy and claimed he'd 'go have more fun with Jack anyways'. And then proceeded with what seemed to be his new normal, 'goodnight pretty girl'.

I took more time on my wardrobe than usual, not deciding on anything more different than usual. I found a clip and pinned the right side of my hair back and applied my usual chapstick before shoving it in my pocket, making sure I smell good, and then grabbing my things.

School felt like I'd moved further away and as I hummed along to my radio, I realized just how different I was in just a week of knowing him and his friends. I was having fun and as I pulled into the student parking lot I found myself saying, "it's better late than never."

Jack and Alex were already at school when I pulled into my spot. Alex was Jack's ride and since Alex had a short before school detention, Jack got fucked too.

When I walked up, Jack let out a wail of what I guessed was relief because he swung his arms up and around me like I had just saved his life. "Thank God! Make him stop talking about you. If I hear, 'she's so perfect' one more time, I'm going to strangle myself!"

"Hey! I don't sound like that!" Alex whined and I felt my cheeks light up.

"Shut the fuck up Alex!" Jack shouted, kissing my cheek before walking towards the school building.

No one said anything at first and when I looked at him I jumped, noticing him looking at me, a smile on his face. "I like your hair like that." He said, grabbing my hand and pulling towards where Jack went off to.

"Thanks." I mumbled, recieving a hand squeeze before he dropped it and just let his arm swing at his side. "Why don't you drive Anabelle to school?" I suddenly asked, remembering that her and Jack were in fact, twins.

"She claimed we stink to early and we're to loud or whatever so she rides with Kara and Rian." He explained and I let out a small, 'oh'.

Kids were looking at us the second we stepped into the hallways and I almost had half a mind to walk back out of school. Today was going to be different though so I shrunk behind Alex until we were at my locker.

"I'll see you in Physics?" He asked, like he honestly wouldn't. I nodded, smiling, and he smiled back, leaning forward to kiss my cheek.

When he walked away from me, all I could think about was kissing him. I wanted to know what it was like and that made my mind drift to Saturday night. He said he'd make that special for me to and I wanted to know how.

I wasn't surprised when I went through Calculus without actually paying attention or doing work. I had almost forgotten to pass up the homework I had done yesterday.

He wasn't in class yet when I got there so I took my seat instantly, pulling out my doodle notebook. I wasn't good at drawing. I just hated not having something to do. Which reminded me, I had work at the music store at 5 after school.

Right then, Alex walked in, sitting down next to me with a 'thump' of his things.

"So do you want to come to band practice today after school?" He asked and my features dropped. I don't think I'd ever hated work until now.

"I have work, I'm sorry." I apologized and his smile fell into a pout.

"Fuck work." He said simply and I let out a laugh before shaking my head. I saw the teacher start passing things out right as the bell rang and I knew I wouldn't get a chance to talk so I sent him a small apologetic smile and then motioned that he could copy me.

Lunch time came by quick. Anabelle was at the lunch table already and when I sat down, Jack was throwing himself on top of the table. "I hate school, guys. It fucking sucks."

Anabelle snorted making me look over at her. "School doesn't suck, Jack. You suck at school." She laughed making Jack pout. Rian and Kara came to the table and I started looking everywhere for Alex. He'd usually be at the table right about now but when I saw him walk in, Lisa was on his tail, pissed.

"She's been like in his ass crack since last period about you. I almost hit her." Anabelle informed me and I nodded. "Don't worry. He like, bows down to you." I felt reassured, of course. Him and Lisa had a past but I trusted him.

So when he walked up and sat down next to me and then kissed me on the forehead right in front of Lisa I was almost sure hers and my jaw were going to fall onto the floor. She stomped away and I got the vibe that she was going to do what she did best and try to get herself on top again.

When my attenion got back to the table, Jack had a noodle in his nose from the school lunch and Anabelle was talking about the boys' band practice.

"Are you okay, muffin?" I heard Alex ask, saying my new nickname that he just loved to use. I nodded, sending him a smile, because honestly I was okay. Why wouldn't I be? Alex Gaskarth denied Lisa Ruocco for me. Because he cares about me.

"Then what's wrong?" He asked softly so that no one else would butt in.

I wanted to spend time with him. That's all I wanted. I wanted him to make me feel special, even if it just meant seeing a movie. I've only really known him for a week and I can already tell that I have way more than just a crush on him.

"Can you come over after I get off of work at 7?" I asked and he smiled, responding with a 'hell yeah' before he took a hold of my hand under the table.

"Can I visit you at work?" He asked and I bit my lip. Technically, no. I could get in trouble, but I worked at a CD/book/record store so I could probably get away with it if I tried.

"If you want." I confirmed, a grin stretching over his face making me blush.

I felt him start to play with my fingers and I looked down where our linked hands lay in between us. "Is he like fingering you or something?" I Jack say and my head shot up, clearly beat red as I tried to let go of Alex's hand.

"I, uhmm..." I started but didn't know how to finish as I sputtered an answer, causing Jack to burst out into laughter.

Alex just smiled, gripping onto my hand tighter so I couldn't pull away. "Would you like to go on a date, muffin?" I heard him ask and I was positive I wouldn't ever be able to talk again.

"Okay." I muttered seeing him grin again before he brought our joined hand to his lips, kissing the back of mine softly.

"Friday night?" He questioned and I nodded dumbly.

I saw Anabelle stand up, spouting out the excuse that she had to get a book from the library for English.

"Oh my God, Alex. Look at what she's wearing!" Jack screeched suddenly, making us all look to see Lisa walking up again cause us to let out a series of groans.

"Attention, Wicked Bitch of the west is approaching." Jack 'announced' and I had to bite my lip from laughing.

Lisa Ruocco was beautiful. There wasn't any denying that because it's been known since grade school. She made sure it was and I guess that's what brought her to today.

"Hey Alex," Lisa purred, standing as close to his back as possible. "I know we talked earlier and I wanted to say that I'm sorry I called Madi Moo Moo all of those things."

I raised a brow at her curiously. What things? Alex squeazed my hand under the table before looking at Lisa, his annoyance shown plainly.

"You aren't forgiven. Get the hell out of here." He stated, standing up and obviously bringing me with him as we grabbed our things, Jack, Kara, and Rian following us.

No one said anything as we walked, probably to music. Or at least that's what I thought until I was led to the parking lot. "What are we doing?" I asked, confused.

I heard Kara talking to someone on the phone, telling them that we were leaving so I guessed it was Anabelle being told to come out. I looked at Alex for an answer, seeing a smile.

"About to have a before work adventure."
♠ ♠ ♠
My brain hasn't gone dead yet. Probably because I've thought about writing this story for a long ass time. I hope you guys enjoy my story, really. And I'd be ecstatic of you guys commented. :')

A Letter From Janelle - Chiodos