Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Ten::

Maxim hesitantly returned my hug and after a few seconds, we released one another. I sighed, avoiding his penetrating eyes and reached for my backpack. Max grabbed it before I could and lightly tossed it onto his shoulder.

I gave him a shy smile before slinging my purse over my own shoulder. We walked out of the school hand in hand; even though I practically strained each and every muscle in my arm to stay right there.

*^*^*^*^*

Once Max and I had left the school, we made our way slowly back to my house. From then on, Max quizzed me on practically my whole life. But when I attempted to get some information about him, he gave me a vague answer than would pin all the talking back on me.

I had told him about my earliest childhood, or what I could remember. I told him about my dad and the fights that my mom would get into with him. I told Max about how he left my mom and I one day. I was only eight when that happened but it took it's toll when I saw my mom cry for nearly two weeks straight.
After that, my mom was very angry towards me. For no apparent reason, she would have outbursts and scream at me. Eventually, work took over her life and I began to see her less and less.

I had to depend on my own skills to feed myself half the time at the beginning of age 12. Luckily, my mom would be kind enough to leave money for groceries and any necessities that I needed.

I was also very lucky to have Ellie be my friend. Her mom was incredibly kind to me and would always make sure that I was okay.
That was, when I let her be that way. Otherwise, I pretty much took care of myself.

I looked at Maxim form my place next to him on the couch. I was facing him, with my legs tucked close to my chest, and my feet nearly touching his leg. He had his arm draped along the top of the couch and was meeting my gaze fully.

I rested chin on my knee without breaking eye contact with Max. After talking, we had fallen into a game Ellie and I played relentlessly when we were kids. It was similar to the staring game but you could blink, just not look away. Whoever looked away first, lost.

"Ya know, you can look away at any time..." I smiled slowly and mischievously.

"I will win." He returned my smile with a cocky half smile.

I blinked slowly in acknowledgment. "So... this weather..."

Maxim gave a hearty chuckle. I grinned broadly. "What about this weather?" For an instance, I didn't understand what he said through the sudden thickness in his accent but I continued to grin nonetheless until it processed.

"Well, if you were to look outside, you'd be able to see for yourself."

"I don't think I'll ever be able to when you are shining so brightly like now."

I could feel the blood rush into my cheeks and I knew that I was bright red. I couldn't help but look away.
Maxim gently pulled my face back towards him so that I was forced to meet his eyes. His smiling face was filled with a gentle humor. "I win."
♠ ♠ ♠
{{Filler}} :)

.. Feedback is appreciated :)