Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Fourteen:: So Close...

The hand made me freeze. "Dezzy, calm down. It's just me."

I relaxed immediately but was angry. I turned around to glare at Max. "You scared the shit out of me."

He chuckled before draping an arm over my shoulders and guiding me to my locker. I leaned into him but suddenly thought about Ellie. I pulled away from Max and looked around for her.

"If you're looking for Ellie, she's headed to English."

I turned to look at Max before nodding in acknowledgment. We continued on our way to Chemistry.

*^*^*^*^*

"We should go to the movies later today." Ellie cast a side-long glance at me as we walked out of the school.

"Sure. We haven't gone on a date in while." I laughed at the inside joke I was implying.

Ellie didn't laugh, though, and rather looked awkward.

"What?" I sighed.

"I was planning on inviting Maxim."

"Oh..." I nodded slowly.

"Is that okay?"

"Oh yeah! I don't care!" I forced myself to not roll my eyes. She always became fairly excessive when it came to guys that she liked.

"Okay, then I'm going to text him and see if he wants to go." She informed me excitedly.

I could feel myself starting to feel envious. She had his number... Awesome...

"Hey ladies!" A familiar, accented voice shouted from behind us.

We both turned to see Maxim jogging towards us. Ellie's face lit up while I involuntarily rolled my eyes.

"Did you get my text?" Ellie asked once Maxim was closer.

"Oh, no. I haven't looked at my cell. What did it say?"

"I was just wondering if you wanted to go to the movies with Desiree and I later."

"Oh yeah that would be fun." He looked at Ellie then me with a crooked smile.

I nearly melted but I buried that feeling right away. Ellie liked Maxim and I as not going to step on toes or interfere in any way possible.

"Alright, well I'll go run home, get ready, and then go to one of the earliest showings. Sound good?" Ellie looked at Max and I to make sure that it was okay.

I cracked a smile. "So like, go there, and see which movie plays first. Like back in the day when we were to lazy to call the theater?"

"You know it!" Ellie winked at me before turning on her heal and practically running to her car.

I watched her speed off when I suddenly realized that I needed a ride. "Shit!"

Max had been walking to his car but immediately turned around when he heard me curse. "What?"

"She was my ride..."

He tried to hide a laugh. "I'll just give you a ride. I don't need to freshen up like you girls do."

I hesitated. Ellie would get pretty upset if she knew that I was going to be hanging out with Maxim, alone, for an hour or so...

"C'mon. It's not the first time." There was humor in that Russian voice of his.

I looked at him with a smile tugging at my lips. I refused, though, and just made my way toward his car with a sigh, "Okay."

*^*^*^*^*

"Green is just not my color!" I huffed.

Max just laughed at me.

I turned around and glared at him. There wasn't much heat behind it, though.

I slipped off the t-shirt to be left in my black tank-top. I grabbed a thin, light gray zip-up hoodie.

"Whatever, there. I'm content now."

Max just shook his head at me. I smiled before sticking my tongue out at him. Maxim followed me out of my room down to the front door, where we started to out on our shoes.

Ellie hadn't text either of us yet so we just assumed that she was still getting ready.

Max opened the door for me. I walked outside after I thanked him and just laid down on the front lawn. The grass was long enough to tickled my ears as I rested my head on nature's cushion.

Max towered over me for a moment before he joined me on the lawn. He laid only a mere inches from me and it made me slightly nervous.

"Why are we lying out in the grass?" He whispered.

"It's nice..." I whispered back.

"Hmm..." He hummed contentedly, "Yes... Nice..."

I turned my head to look at him. Max had his eyes closed with a ghost of a smile on his lush lips. He truly looked happy in that moment. I took a moment to take in his strong face and light skin. He was very handsome and it only made sense that Ellie would like him. He was handsome with the kind of persona that would attract any girl.

I assumed that Maxim could feel me watching him because he opened his eyes and met my stare with his own.

"Do you like Ellie?" I inquired quietly.

Maxim gave me a whimsical smile. "Why do you ask?"

"Just answer, please."

"No. I do not. She's nice but my eyes are set on someone else."

"Oh..." Ellie was going to be crushed when she found out.

"Now will you answer the question I asked a moment ago?"

"Maybe." I smiled coyly at him.

Max raised an eyebrow at me as he adjusted his posture. He leaned on his elbow, giving me a playful look when I still refused to answer him.

I was soon surprised to find Max pinning my hands where they were at by my sides and him towering over me.

I gave a quick laugh, trying to keep the panic at bay. I was trying to not freak out because I knew that Max wouldn't hurt me... I hoped, anyways.

"Tell me." He whispered, almost seductively.

I bit my lip, looking at him with wide, innocent eyes.

"Desiree..." His voice started to become husky and deep.

That Russian accent saying my name so seductively and needy almost made me moan.

An underlying shock at my nearly possible reactions, was imminent in the back of my mind, but Max was the main subject occupying the front of my thoughts.

He started to lean his mouth closer to mine. His breath was hot and sweet against my lips. I began to lift my head so that my lips would meet his.

But then...
His phone rang.

We froze in place, almost as if in contemplation on ignoring the call but thought better of it.
Maxim sighed heavily before releasing me and reaching into his pocket.

"Hello?" He cleared his throat in an awkward way.

I, however, was lying in the same place and was breathing heavily. What just almost happened?

Did I... Did I really come that close to kissing Max?
♠ ♠ ♠
OooooO!!! Tell me what you all think! ;)