Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Seventeen::

I was hot. Too hot. The sun was bearing down on me. I woke up with a start to find Max sprawled out, practically on top of me. Plus, my fleece hoodie did not help me out at all.

I licked my lips, slightly parched, and tried to wiggle out of the iron grip I was in. Max mumbled in his sleep before tightening his grip around me.

"Max," I whispered.

"Hmm?"

"I need to get up."

Max nuzzled my neck and sighed deeply. I smiled slightly before realizing that we had school today. I looked over at my clock to see the red digits glare 6:45 A.M. at me.

"Max," I whispered again.

"Wha..?" He mumbled against my skin, giving me shivers.

"We have school. Get up. We need to get ready."

"I just want to lay with you... longer." He murmured.

I lifted my left hand from where it rested on my breast and tentatively touched Maxim's shoulder. He sighed again. I continued the lazy path down to his elbow and back again.

"You're going to put my back to sleep, milaya moya..."

"Mil.." I tried repeating what Max said but I couldn't, "What did you say?"

Max chuckled before climbing out of bed. "Nothing."

I watched him curiously. "Did you speak Russian to me?"

He glanced at me over his shoulder before picking up his shirt from where it was on the floor.
I started getting excited. Maxim had to be getting more comfortable around me to start speaking his native language.

"What did you say?" I begged, climbing out of my bed also.

"No. Doesn't matter." His voice was strict and authoritative but I was relentless.

"Please tell me?" I now stood in front of Max.

He raised his brows, giving me an incredulous look. "Really?"

I nodded vigorously with a smile.

"No."

My face fell and I huffed. "Fine."

"Ti takaya neobichnaya." Max smiled with a shake of his head.

I gaped at him. "Really? Are you going to tell me what that means?"

He shook his head no. I narrowed my eyes at him and just walked to my closet to grab some clean clothes. I walked away from him, sticking my tongue out before I left the room, and went to take a shower.

*^*^*^*^*

Max had stopped at his house to change and I stayed in his car. But otherwise the ride to school had been mostly in silence and uneventful. There was the occasion that Max would say something in Russian and it would severely piss me off. He was just aiming to annoy me today, it seemed.

I stepped out of his car calmly and walked into school. Max caught up to me when I reached the doors and opened the door for me like a gentleman.

"Thanks." I returned stiffly.

Maxim just laughed at me.

*^*^*^*^*

I walked to my English class alone. I was running a little late so it was only me a and a few stragglers in the hallway. I quickly made my way to the classroom in barely concealed panic. I waited for Haden to pop out of some hidden crevice.

Of course with my luck, he did. And at the moment when the hallway was completely vacant.

"So, Desiree, where's you bodyguard?" Haden's hair was messy and he looked like he had been sleeping in a batch of alcohol for two days.

"Not far behind to kick your ass." I retorted venomously.

My facade was brittle but it was all I had at the moment to hide how weak I really was.

Haden's eyes flashed in anger but he held his controlled demeanor. "You still are a little snarky bitch, huh? I guess I didn't break you all the way. That'll have to fucking change."

I took a step away from him due to the menacing glare Haden was giving me. He looked as if he was out for blood.

A raspy laugh erupted from him as he pinned me with his dark brown eyes. "I love seeing that fear in your eyes. It fuels me." He came closer to me so that we were barely touching. I was now paralyzed with fear once more. "You'll soon be mine..." He whispered, gently tugging at a piece of my hair.

With that, he walked away from me and I was left there, trembling. My breathing had become rapid and shallow. I was going to have a panic attack if I didn't move.

"Breathe." I whispered, "Walk. You'll be fine..."

And I would. Well... That's what I told myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Desiree's outfit
Maxim's outfit
milaya moya = My sweet
ti takaya neobichnaya = You are so unusual.

Getting some Russian in there ;)

Tell me what you think so far, please :)