Teeth, Claws, Lipstick

Chapter ten

Chapter ten

I try to control my reaction when Sawyer comes back into the clearing, just buckling up his trousers – and completely shirtless. I’m not going to lie. It takes all my self-control to stop myself from salivating at the sight.

Instead, I twist my head away, reflectively tightening my grip on the jacket – Hunter’s jacket. A scrap of material is suddenly held out before me. I look up at Sawyer.

“What?”

“Put it on. You reek of that leech.” He growls as if it’s obvious – as if I’m stupid.

I narrow my eyes and stand. “Turn away then.” I snatch it out of his hands, annoyed with his damn attitude.

He doesn’t. Instead his head tilts to the side. “Did he see you naked?”

I flush – more anger than anything. But I refuse to back down. “Yes. Not turn around.”

A low growl builds in his throat. He reaches out and grabs my arm. I try to pull away – but I’m nothing but weak now. For how long? God knows.

“You shouldn’t have let him see you. You’re mine.” He murmurs, his eyes flashing with a possessiveness.

I swallow drily. “I’m not yours. I’m not an object.”

He doesn’t say anything. I feel as if I may fall over, unable to take my eyes from his.

He leans down, his breath warming my lips. My eyes flutter shut – it’s a struggle to breathe. My body jerks a little as I struggle not to kiss him.

I’m all very aware of the fact that his torso is completely bare and that the jacket is only a thin piece of material.

“Sawyer...” I dislike my voice at this moment, how breathy and dreamy it is.

He groans a little, leans in close – but before he can kiss me senseless, I jerk away, my brain working faster than my body.

He growls in frustration and gives me a deadly look, his hand still wrapped around my upper arm, refusing to let me go.

I repeat his name, this time adding on a no, just for effect.

“Why? Just why, what’s wrong with me?” I’m surprised at the amount of emotion in his voice.

I balk for a moment. “B – be – because. You’re a Rouge. It – it’s not right.”

“Not right? Why? Not afraid Little Lyra? Not of me, surely?” He bares his teeth in a wolf-like manner.

Heart thundering, I stare at him. In some sense, yes – I’m afraid of him, of the amount of danger he brings, his power – not to mention his lips. His kisses.

He gives me a little shake. “Well?”

“N – no!” I growl, snapping out of my state. “I am definitely not afraid of you!”

“Then kiss me!” He pulls me close again, my body against his. “Prove you’re not afraid!”

I feel something churning inside me. It takes me a moment to realise it’s my wolf, waking up, coming back to me. I try to pull away from Sawyer and as soon as I do, she shy’s away.

I look up at him, set my mouth in a firm line. Stare hard into his eyes. “Tell me why you’re Rogue. Is it just because you couldn’t follow rules?”

He sighs and reaches a hand up, stroking the hair from my face. I feel almost vulnerable by how gentle his fingers are.

“No. My father and his brother fought over who would be Alpha. My father lost. We could either lead our lives as Mutt’s, the lowest status within a pack – or leave and become Rogue’s. We chose the latter.”

He doesn’t look as he speaks, instead focuses on my hair, the way his finger curls around it.

“So you and your father are Rogue’s?”

“Yes.”

“Does he live with you?”

“Yes.”

“How come I never see you together?”

“He doesn’t like to converse with others. He only goes out at night – and when he does he’s careful not to enter other pack’s territories.”

“Why haven’t you ever mentioned him before?”

He sighs again and rolls his eyes. “It’s not like we’ve ever talked before.”

I pause for a second, realising this is the first time I’ve actually learnt something about his life. I reach a hand up and press it flat on his chest. He raises an eyebrow and looks down at it.

“I like hearing about your life.” I lean up on my tip-toes and press a soft kiss to his mouth, unable to fight the temptation any longer.

When I pull back his eyes are closed, lips parted. I watch the way his tongue snakes out to touch his lower lip. It makes my toes curl. His eyes flicker open and he gives me this look.

I want to kiss him again, but instead turn away. “I should probably go anyway.”

He places his hands on my hips and draws me back into the warmth of his body. Once again I feel my Wolf react deep inside me, stirring in the depths.

He presses face into the crook of my neck, arms circling around me and tightening in a possessive manner.

“Don’t go. Stay with me. We can talk.” His voice is soft and beautiful.

I struggle with myself. I keep repeating that this is bad – that he’s bad, all of this shouldn’t be happening. But I can’t tell him no. His lips press against my skin, tempting me further.

I open my mouth to give in, to say yes.

“Sawyer! Sawyer, where the hell are you?” The voice is gruff and only semi-loud. It’s the kind of voice you use late at night.

The tension in his body is evident instantly. His hands drop and I whirl around.

“Who is that?” I ask.

He looks nervous suddenly, eyes wide, mouth twisting. “Uh, my dad. I have to go.”

“Oh. Okay.” I shrug like it’s nothing. I feel a burning mixture of emotions flood through me. Relief and disappointment being the strongest.

He pauses, eyes searching mine. Then he leans down and presses his lips to mine. The kiss is short and abrupt, but I find myself leaning into his body, reaching a hand up to press against his cheek.

He jerks away as if difficult, eyes burning. Then he turns without another word, bounding away in seconds.

I struggle to breathe again. It’s supposed to be easy but I’ve never found it more difficult.